Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 02:24 PM

1,837 posts, read 4,354,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
I think she'll be sitting Vice President by then and will be the nominee for President in 2012. Obama either won't run or won't get the party nomination. I think its even possible( likely) he steps down before his term ends. Hillary is running things behind the scenes now anyway and wants to be President officially. Even if its for only 6 months, she'll take it.
Obama is self destructing and nobody is that stupid. He's being told what to do and what to say to make his exit that much more desirable.

Likely that Obama will step down ? Are you serious ? It will NEVER happen . His ego won't let it happen .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2010, 04:22 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,966,028 times
I hope none of the above. Hilliary broke the law going from the senate to be where she is now, Read the law. It is getting to be no one reads the law. Least of all any public servants.

Old 08-13-2010, 06:56 AM

8,131 posts, read 4,328,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyageur View Post
She can't functionally be Secretary of State and a campaigning candidate for Vice President at the same time, and that fact would make attempting to do so politically disastrous. And leaving the important position of Secretary of State for purely electoral reasons (to run for Vice President) would be politically disastrous as well.

And that's why this won't happen.

Aside from that insurmountable problem, it could work very well politically. She has a large base, whereas Biden does not. And as good a job as she's done at state, Biden would probably be very good there as well - indeed, it's more his forte than the Vice Presidency, which despite the growth of importance of the Vice President in recent decades, still is a position where talents are often wasted.

But again, the shift is just unworkable.

Totally disagree. Obama, Clinton, and McCain were all Sentors and ran for the Presidency. Heck most VPs run for the Presidency while still in office. It is nothing new for a person holding a office to campaign for another high profile job. I can't think of none now, but I'm pretty sure their have been some Sec. of State that have ran. If Obama and his team have any sense, they should be working behind the scene to make this happen. Bidden has been a disaster from Day 1. At this point, Sara Palin could probably beat Obama in 2012.

Old 08-13-2010, 08:24 AM

2,031 posts, read 2,988,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tillman7 View Post
Totally disagree. Obama, Clinton, and McCain were all Sentors and ran for the Presidency. Heck most VPs run for the Presidency while still in office. It is nothing new for a person holding a office to campaign for another high profile job.
No one said anything about Senators and Vice Presidents, which are essentially part-time, partisan jobs. They are natural stepping stones to the Presidency, which is why so many Presidents previously served as Senator and/or Vice President. But the Secretary of State is an appointed, non-partisan position. Senators and Vice Presidents campaign on behalf of other members of their own party all the time. They attend fundraisers. Ever see a Secretary of State campaigned for an electoral race, or attend a fundraiser? Nope. It doesn't happen.

Quote:
I can't think of none now, but I'm pretty sure their have been some Sec. of State that have ran. If Obama and his team have any sense, they should be working behind the scene to make this happen. Bidden has been a disaster from Day 1. At this point, Sara Palin could probably beat Obama in 2012.
Keeping thinking. Who? Haig? No, he was no longer serving at State when her ran (left State in 1982, later sought the 1988 GOP nomination). Rusk? Marshall? Stimson? No. No. No. Sitting Secretaries of State do not run. For anything. Period. You might be able to find one somewhere in the historical record, but the last President who had served as Secretary of State was James Buchanan, elected in 1856, so long ago that it has no relevance whatsoever to today's electoral politics. But note that Buchanan left State in 1849 - he didn't run for President from the office of State.

List of Secretaries of State of the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hey, I like the idea of January 20, 2013, dawning with Clinton in the Vice Presidency and Biden at State. I just think getting there is unworkable.

Last edited by Voyageur; 08-13-2010 at 08:30 AM.. Reason: sp.

Old 08-13-2010, 08:29 AM

720 posts, read 691,276 times
I was having a convo with a Sheriff deputy the other day and he said something pretty profound, at least I thought it was. He said, this country is failing and it will be the women who save it! I thought, OMG this coming from a man! But he was dead serous.

Old 08-13-2010, 08:36 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
Why would she want the demotion and a job that's largely leftovers the President can't be bothered with because they are too low key. She knows how they treated Al Gore because she was the "co-president" according to her. How would she handle Michelle Obama ordering her around?

Plus, if she thinks she won't suffer because of this President's policies, she'd be mistaken. She'd be better off bailing.

Old 08-13-2010, 09:02 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laurac View Post
why would she want the demotion and a job that's largely leftovers the president can't be bothered with because they are too low key. She knows how they treated al gore because she was the "co-president" according to her. How would she handle michelle obama ordering her around?

Plus, if she thinks she won't suffer because of this president's policies, she'd be mistaken. She'd be better off bailing.

Old 08-13-2010, 09:15 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
The republicans are going to jump all over the statements made on Obama not being experienced enough in the last election in the next presdientail election by both.

Old 08-13-2010, 10:52 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,729,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Michelle Antoinette has no power in govt. She cannot "order" anyone around except her own private staff.

Old 08-13-2010, 11:20 AM

4,697 posts, read 6,448,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Exactly.

Moving Biden over to an appointed position (if he wants that), and getting Clinton to be his running mate would boost President Obama's chances of re-election.

And in 2016, as Vice-President, Clinton would have an advantage over any challengers, having served as U.S. Senator, Secretary of State, and Vice-President.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies