Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 11:09 PM

291 posts, read 752,032 times

Advertisements

As the United States begins to draw down its troop levels in Iraq and build up its operations in Afghanistan, the combined cost of these two wars on American taxpayers is close to a trillion dollars. The human toll is growing. More than 4,000 U.S. service members have died in the Iraq war, more than 1,000 in Operation Enduring Freedom in Afghanistan. At the same time, the federal deficit has ballooned during these two conflicts and is likely to be felt by generations to come. It is a heavy price to pay, but NPR senior news analyst Ted Koppel says these wartime sacrifices need to be shared by more of Americans. He'll be here to explain in a moment.

But we also want to hear your view. Are we sacrificing enough for the war? Should we be doing more? If so, what? What sacrifices are you willing to make to support the U.S. war efforts in Iraq and Afghanistan? Give us a call. Our number is 800-989-8255. The email address: talk@npr.org. And you can join the conversation at our website. Go to npr.org and click on TALK OF THE NATION.

Source: Op-Ed: Burdens Of War Unevenly Shared In U.S. : NPR
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2010, 12:21 AM

3,376 posts, read 6,101,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PittNewbie View Post
As the United States begins to draw down its troop levels in Iraq and build up its operations in Afghanistan, the combined cost of these two wars on American taxpayers is close to a trillion dollars. The human toll is growing. More than 4,000 U.S. service members have died in the Iraq war, more than 1,000 in Operation Enduring Freedom in Afghanistan. At the same time, the federal deficit has ballooned during these two conflicts and is likely to be felt by generations to come. It is a heavy price to pay, but NPR senior news analyst Ted Koppel says these wartime sacrifices need to be shared by more of Americans. He'll be here to explain in a moment.

But we also want to hear your view. Are we sacrificing enough for the war? Should we be doing more? If so, what? What sacrifices are you willing to make to support the U.S. war efforts in Iraq and Afghanistan? Give us a call. Our number is 800-989-8255. The email address: talk@npr.org. And you can join the conversation at our website. Go to npr.org and click on TALK OF THE NATION.

Source: Op-Ed: Burdens Of War Unevenly Shared In U.S. : NPR
Unless they're prepared to "chip" every conscript, a draft could end up either being a very good thing, or backfiring in an utterly ugly way.

Yes, survival skills and self-sufficiency known by many more, but that would just give more persons the knowledge of how to properly pull off "giving the finger" in a large way, should they fight and then have the same misery to come back home to.

Old 08-10-2010, 04:53 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,631,470 times
Way to mislead with the title.
Yes, a war tax and reinstatement of the draft was proposed.

By anonymous callers into a radio program.

Old 08-10-2010, 08:21 AM

8,881 posts, read 5,364,104 times
Unless the military is unable to adequately meet troops requirements there is no need for a draft.

I'd love to see War Bonds go on sale.

Old 08-10-2010, 08:28 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,375,785 times
War tax, yes, bonds yes, draft, no.

That's my opinion. A all volunteer army is better than a drafted army.

Old 08-10-2010, 08:30 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,269,927 times
I'd love to see a draft, elected officials who vote for wars can let their kids go first, to the infantry or some such nonsense.

No deferments for any reason except for serious health issues, and in that case, the person can work in an office setting.
People who protest war can work for a humanitarian organization for the same length of time as a drafted person.

Reinstate the draft under my guidelines, see the desire for war cease.

Old 08-10-2010, 08:32 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,766,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
Unless the military is unable to adequately meet troops requirements there is no need for a draft.

I'd love to see War Bonds go on sale.
Agreed. We'd have millions more in uniform and the additional cost would be staggering. And I doubt Canada is prepared for another onslaught of Yanks coming up to dodge the draft and hoover their women.

War Bonds were just goverment bonds by a different name.

Old 08-10-2010, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
I'd love to see a draft, elected officials who vote for wars can let their kids go first, to the infantry or some such nonsense.
Not the function of a draft.

Old 08-10-2010, 08:33 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,269,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
Not the function of a draft.
You may have noticed that I said "my guidelines."
That would assume that I have an idea of the function of a draft.

Some people are willing to put other people's lives on the lines so long as they don't have to sacrifice themselves.
This would make it much more personal.

Old 08-10-2010, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Agreed. We'd have millions more in uniform and the additional cost would be staggering. And I doubt Canada is prepared for another onslaught of Yanks coming up to dodge the draft and hoover their women.

War Bonds were just goverment bonds by a different name.
As seen by an earlier response, there are too many people who want a draft for reasons other then what it's intended for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies