Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 06:58 PM

9,888 posts, read 10,820,096 times

Advertisements

Ok, This one is for all my Libertarian friends, as most of you know I am very Libertarian in my views, but I just cant get on board the whole drug legalization train......I know the arguments but I have trouble believing that drug related crime will decrease, my other issue is how many people are killed every year buy drunk drivers, do we want to increase that with stoned drivers? Help me out, lets keep it on topic and respectful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2010, 07:16 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,380,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
Ok, This one is for all my Libertarian friends, as most of you know I am very Libertarian in my views, but I just cant get on board the whole drug legalization train......I know the arguments but I have trouble believing that drug related crime will decrease, my other issue is how many people are killed every year buy drunk drivers, do we want to increase that with stoned drivers? Help me out, lets keep it on topic and respectful.
After prohibition, did illegal alcohol related crimes decrease?

The answer is, yes. It became legal, brewers hired legal employees, started whole new industries in cities, etc.

Old 08-12-2010, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
After prohibition, did illegal alcohol related crimes decrease?

The answer is, yes. It became legal, brewers hired legal employees, started whole new industries in cities, etc.
Yeah .....again just cant get my mind wrapped around the legal cocaine industry.

Old 08-12-2010, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Yeah .....again just cant get my mind wrapped around the legal cocaine industry.
Cocaine is really only about 5% of the total drug market in the states. Marijuana is around 30% saturation rates.

You may not know this, but before alcohol prohibition, Alcohol enjoyed above a 70% saturation rate. Even kids were allowed to drink beer.

After prohibition, the rate dropped to around 20%. Its worked itself back up to about 50% today, but thats 70 years ago.

I don't think you'd see a large cocaine crime rate. But what are you considering crime? I've done coke, I didn't feel the need to go hurt anyone, just made me want to run around a track a 100 times.

Alcohol disables the rational part of the brain, reverting you to a reptilian state. Thats what causes the violence with cocaine.

Now, I can understand the need to watch out for crack, thats bad juju. But, again, most people won't hurt themselves that way. Just like most people won't smoke cigarettes, because they know its harmful. Those that would have tried it anyway, would have tried it anyway.

Old 08-12-2010, 07:25 PM

1,963 posts, read 1,822,287 times
this is going to take a while to actually happen.

Watch, in a couple months, how much California's economy improves once it has legalized a plant with over 2,000 practical uses. The hemp industry in itself should be enough reason to legalize marijuana on the federal level.

Old 08-12-2010, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.smith904 View Post
this is going to take a while to actually happen.

Watch, in a couple months, how much California's economy improves once it has legalized a plant with over 2,000 practical uses. The hemp industry in itself should be enough reason to legalize marijuana on the federal level.
I don't think Silas is worried about pot, I think he's more worried about cocaine, heroine, and other opiates and narcotics.

Old 08-12-2010, 07:32 PM

Full disclosure here , My teen years were the 70's so it was sex drugs and rock n roll.....never did Heroin. I have lost a close friend from doing things we should not have been doing while stoned on pot......I had more accidents and close calls being stoned vs drunk. I just dont see that the up side out ways the down from my experience. Not to mention crack heads still going to get addicted and steal to get their dope.

Old 08-12-2010, 07:50 PM

839 posts, read 2,416,392 times
I'm a Libertarian myself. What makes the Libertarian party different is that it is made up of a lot of free thinkers. We don't tend to have the ideological unity the Dems and Reps do. I don't agree with every party platform either.

When it comes to drugs, I'm 100% in favor of legalizing marijuana, but some of the other drugs, particularly meth, ahhh, I'm not so sure.

I don't think that if cocaine, heroin , or other "hard" drugs were legal that their respective usage would necessarily increase or that there would be more traffic fatalities associated with them than there are already, but, these kinds of drugs can do so much damage in other ways. It's hard to say what the right answer is.

I'm still working on that one myself.

Old 08-12-2010, 07:54 PM

20,054 posts, read 18,278,232 times
Drugs shouldn't be illegal now, since I can't find anything prohibiting its use in the constitution. I see something about alcohol, but we know how that turned out.

How come "conservatives" can't get it through their skulls that the federal government cannot stop a state from allowing recreational drugs to be made legal?

Old 08-12-2010, 07:55 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,506,282 times
Quote:
Drugs don't make people commit crimes. The prohibitive cost makes them commit crimes to support their habit...........If drugs were legal the costs would drop and the crime would go away. How many times you hear of someone committing a crime to obtain alcohol or tobacco?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies