Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2010, 02:03 PM

5,412 posts, read 4,237,376 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
While it would be nice to hurt no ones feelings, that doesn't happen in a free society.
But those same lefties will say that with freedom of speech becomes responsibility, and you cannot use it to offend. So they would outlaw mohammed cartoons, becaues it offends muslims..

I agree that the creators of this mosque have every right to do it, it's just in bad taste. Like mohammed cartoons are, but they have a right to do it...

But I really wonder if liberals would allow gay clubs or bacon stores next to this place. If you believe in freedom of religion, then you cannot have someone's religion imposed upon you, so why should I be prevented from opening up a pork store next door simply because muslims don't eat pork? that's imposing Islam on me, and you know the left would be in an unproar if anything muslims deemed offensive was built next to this place.

Old 08-16-2010, 02:07 PM

141 posts, read 292,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by betamanlet View Post
But I really wonder if liberals would allow gay clubs or bacon stores next to this place. If you believe in freedom of religion, then you cannot have someone's religion imposed upon you, so why should I be prevented from opening up a pork store next door simply because muslims don't eat pork? that's imposing Islam on me, and you know the left would be in an unproar if anything muslims deemed offensive was built next to this place.
I'm going to assume (because where I live we don't have it) New York zoning laws wouldn't allow you to open a gay bar and a pork shop next to a mosque but I might be wrong.

Old 08-16-2010, 02:08 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,377,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolVa1977 View Post
so hurting the feeling of the people who lost their relatives on 9.11 is acceptable

as long as we do not make the muslims feel bad

they have the whole country to build the damn mosque. It is v. inflamatory to insist in building the mosque there. In the place of the worst attack against America (perpetrated by terrorists in the name of Islam)

granted legally there is nothing anyone can do.

But it is not helping heal the wounds on 9/11
I have no problem making Al Qaeda feel bad. Personally I'd like to take cattle prods to their "sensitive" regions, so to speak.

I don't want to hurt 9/11 families, but is often the case with great trauma, their pain will never go away. Mosque or not, it won't help or hurt. There is a reason why we don't let the family members of victims be on the jury, or judge the trial of those who hurt their family.

And no, I don't want to hurt innocent people, and the Muslims that are building this mosque did nothing to no one. They are innocent of any crime against the 9/11 family.

Quote:
But those same lefties will say that with freedom of speech becomes responsibility, and you cannot use it to offend. So they would outlaw mohammed cartoons, becaues it offends muslims..

I agree that the creators of this mosque have every right to do it, it's just in bad taste. Like mohammed cartoons are, but they have a right to do it...

I am politically incorrect, and if you check in the religious section, you'll see I've posted those same Muhammad cartoons just to get the goats of those who claim that Islam is always a peaceful religion.

I would, open a big pork chop restaurant right across the street. Call it "The crusaders", I'd eat there.

Old 08-16-2010, 02:08 PM

7,922 posts, read 9,146,005 times
I have a question regarding the legal difference between a cultural center and a religious institution. A religious institution (synagogue, church and mosques/temples) is protected by Constitution. Since this center is being called a community center, why is it getting the same rights as a religious institution?

What makes a community center different than any other business that can be regulated by zoning laws etc?

Old 08-16-2010, 02:09 PM

7,871 posts, read 10,126,788 times
Quote:
But those same lefties will say that with freedom of speech becomes responsibility, and you cannot use it to offend. So they would outlaw mohammed cartoons, becaues it offends muslims...
Show me where a "leftie" wants to outlaw cartoons of Mohammed.

Quote:
But that taste is subjective. It's only in bad taste if you automatically connect Islam in general with the 9/11 attacks.

Quote:
But I really wonder if liberals would allow gay clubs or bacon stores next to this place.
FFS what kind of definition of "liberal" are you using here?

Quote:
If you believe in freedom of religion, then you cannot have someone's religion imposed upon you, so why should I be prevented from opening up a pork store next door simply because muslims don't eat pork?
Why on earth would you be? Where do you get these fantasy ideas? Do you actually know any liberals, or do you just read about them on World Nut Daily?

Quote:
that's imposing Islam on me, and you know the left would be in an unproar if anything muslims deemed offensive was built next to this place.
No I don't know that. In fact I know it's nonsense. I would laugh my head off if they put a topless BBQ joint right next to it.

Old 08-16-2010, 02:10 PM

1,646 posts, read 2,372,847 times
I would give money to the gay bars and the pork shop vendors to open their businesses in front of the mosque.

Old 08-16-2010, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiaomao View Post
I'm going to assume (because where I live we don't have it) New York zoning laws wouldn't allow you to open a gay bar and a pork shop next to a mosque but I might be wrong.

So there are zoning rules to protect religious sites? That sounds like a violation of the first amendment then.

The reality is the can, and if they cannot, they can apply for a variance, if if it's denied on the basis of fear of offending muslims, then it would definetely violate the first amendment.

Old 08-16-2010, 02:11 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,377,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHL10 View Post
I have a question regarding the legal difference between a cultural center and a religious institution. A religious institution (synagogue, church and mosques/temples) is protected by Constitution. Since this center is being called a community center, why is it getting the same rights as a religious institution?

What makes a community center different than any other business that can be regulated by zoning laws etc?
This building passed all of the zoning laws. It will contain a mosque. I don't understand the "its a community center" argument. While indeed most of it won't be a mosque, there will be a mosque there.

Old 08-16-2010, 02:12 PM

720 posts, read 690,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post

I just find it quite amusing that the Left has finally found a religion to champion.

With the so called government allowing this, yet in my very town, there is a small local Christian church fighting the local government to stay open! The so called "constitutional" rights everyone keeps relying on..Freedom of Religion blah blah blah. If it were applied across the board maybe so many people would not have issues. However, as it stands, its not being applied that way. So much for Obama and his followers wanting equality for all.

Old 08-16-2010, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
Show me where a "leftie" wants to outlaw cartoons of Mohammed.

But that taste is subjective. It's only in bad taste if you automatically connect Islam in general with the 9/11 attacks.

FFS what kind of definition of "liberal" are you using here?

Why on earth would you be? Where do you get these fantasy ideas? Do you actually know any liberals, or do you just read about them on World Nut Daily?

No I don't know that. In fact I know it's nonsense. I would laugh my head off if they put a topless BBQ joint right next to it.
It's all I heard on the BBC during the mohammed cartoons thing. You had muslims and lefties saying that free speech doesnt' include the right to offend, and then you had those who believed in free speech.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies