Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2010, 04:39 PM

5,696 posts, read 6,207,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleWA View Post
Great job, Mr. President. You'll certainly be getting my vote again in 2012.

Sorry, republicans, but religious intolerance is unconstitutional.

So it would be okay with you for a Christian church to be built there as well as Franklin Graham getting your tax dollars to send him around the world to build bridges?
how about folks saying Merry Christmas, or a nativity being placed on the White House grounds?
Can Christians now pray in public? Or in schools?
How about a Bible study at the House of Congress?
I just want to clearly understand what you are saying

Old 08-14-2010, 04:41 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,004,515 times
What exactly do you think a president of the USA is to do? Say "screw the constitution"?

Funny how those who love to proclaim themselves true patriots seem rather eager to denounce one of the fundamental principles that define the USA.

I have no problem with anyone finding the location of this proposed mosque insensitive (as do I), but the simple fact is that followers of ANY religion have the right to build a house of worship if they so desire - and that includes Islam.

Asking that the building of the mosque should be prohibited is anything BUT American. Generalizing from a few nut jobs to a billion people is also rather un-American. Shame on you.

Old 08-14-2010, 04:46 PM

4,814 posts, read 3,843,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vamos View Post
What exactly do you think a president of the USA is to do? Say "screw the constitution"?

Funny how those who love to proclaim themselves true patriots seem rather eager to denounce one of the fundamental principles that define the USA.

I have no problem with anyone finding the location of this proposed mosque insensitive (as do I), but the simple fact is that followers of ANY religion have the right to build a house of worship if they so desire - and that includes Islam.

Asking that the building of the mosque should be prohibited is anything BUT American. Generalizing from a few nut jobs to a billion people is also rather un-American. Shame on you.
You may have missed his, backtracking, comments today. He must have felt the heat from his dinner speech.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressing-On View Post
"President Barack Obama told CNN Saturday that in defending the right of Muslims to build a community center and mosque near ground zero in a speech Friday night, he was "not commenting on the wisdom" of the project but trying to uphold the broader principle that the government should treat "everyone equal, regardless" of religion."
Breitbart.tv » Backtrack: Obama ‘Not Commenting on Wisdom’ of Ground Zero Mosque

Old 08-14-2010, 04:51 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,787,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Freedom too dangerous for you?
Is the giving away of your's not?

Old 08-14-2010, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vamos View Post

You might not want to use that as an argument because he does every day. Can you say "forced healthcare"? Can you say "too big to fail"? Can you say... NM this is just too easy.

Old 08-14-2010, 04:57 PM

472 posts, read 854,889 times
I wonder how the troops overseas feel about the mosque being built. Perhaps the decision should be theirs alone. They are, after all, fighting for our freedoms, one of which, ironically, is of a mosque being built by the religion that sent them overseas to fight and die for their country in the first place.

So you see, it's not just the 3000 people that perished at ground zero....but the ones that are fighting and dying even today.

Old 08-14-2010, 04:59 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,300,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
Not surprised. Obama is the most anti-American President this country has seen. The only way he'd be against it is if were designated as a Boy Scouts of America community center.
What makes Obama so "Un-American"? His skin color? he doesn't think the way you do? He may or may not go to church on any given Sunday?

What gives you are anybody else the right to decide how an "American" should look like, think or feel?

Old 08-14-2010, 05:02 PM

I've got a question.

When a sect of people see our Constitution, not for the beauty of giving every man equal rights, but as our weakness and as a means to bringing us down, then why should they benefit from those rights?

Let's be honest here. Does a Muslim see anyone but another Muslim as anything but an Infidel? If the entire world were Athiests what would the Muslims do to them as they conquered their lands? This has little to do with religion as far as anyone else is concerned because to them there is only one religion.

I'm sorry but I'm having a problem with this. I think the reality of it is that some belief systems simply can't co-op. They are like oil and water and at some point only weakest of the 2 will survive. If we are always on the open and honest (the right road) and they are always on the attack (terrorists) then who is at fault when they do finally take us down?

Them for their beliefs or us for allowing them to?

Old 08-14-2010, 05:03 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,300,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Fail. Keep reading the thread.
Actually he succeeded quite nicely.

Old 08-14-2010, 05:05 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,930,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city414 View Post
i hope your not serious and if you are LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.. this country has some backwards ass people
Apparently your knowlege on Islam is very limited and your viewpoints equally narrow.

Political Islam Online

Whither Political Islam? | Foreign Affairs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies