Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2010, 12:39 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,566,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnepler View Post
can't wait for that first Christian and Jewish church/temple in Saudi Arabia.
Are you referring to that country Bush should have attacked as opposed to Iraq? After all, it was the Saudis that took down the twin towers.

Old 08-15-2010, 12:42 PM

6,926 posts, read 6,551,413 times
Default Obama Defends Grounds Zero Mosque Plans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Well, if they move it, it might be perceived as disregarding the families of 9-11 victims who do support it, so you can't win.

Call me crazy, but I'm pretty dang sure it's all about the hatred of Muslims.
Mightyqueen sorry but it's going to be a Suni Mosque being built the same sect that flew the planes into the twin towers!!! It's not about hatred of Muslims it's out of respect of all those that lost their llives and are still dying because of the aftereffects. It's a big slap in the face to their families. We need a place of comfort not a reminder of Bin Laden!!!!

Old 08-15-2010, 12:45 PM

12,373 posts, read 13,194,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopedelivers View Post
Mightyqueen sorry but it's going to be a Suni Mosque being built the same sect that flew the planes into the twin towers!!! It's not about hatred of Muslims it's out of respect of all those that lost their llives and are still dying because of the aftereffects. It's a big slap in the face to their families. We need a place of comfort not a reminder of Bin Laden!!!!
How many non-terrorist Muslims lost their lives?

Old 08-15-2010, 12:47 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
Quote:
So do all Sunni Muslims want to kill people? Can you provide proof that even most of the Sunni Muslims want to kill people?

Please, I'm waiting. Remember, it must represent all or 51% of all Sunni Muslims.

Before you answer

Senior religious leaders in Iraq are preparing to sign an unprecedented “fatwa against violence” that will help reconcile the rival Sunni and Shia branches of Islam and herald new hopes for peace in the war-torn country.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/com...cle2830563.ece

Old 08-15-2010, 12:57 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
That information is unfortunately being widely disseminated, but it's not true.

I am a survivor of the WTC attacks. Lost a lot of people I knew and worked with for decades died that day. I also work again at the World Trade Center area and am involved in the WTC rebuilding project.

Just giving that information to let you know that this concerns me personally and that I've tried to get the facts rather than jump up and down in an emotional reaction.

The imam of the mosque is a Sufi. That's the mystical/spiritual version of Islam and the fundamentalist Muslims do not like them. Bin Laden would consider this group not to be a true Muslim. This guy and his congregants were in the WTC area long before 9/11 and had nothing to do with the terrorists attacks. Their beliefs are far different than those of the fundamentalist extremists. A simple fact can help demonstrate that--his wife does not even wear a head scarf, let along the whole-body getup that the fundamentalists require.

They've been active in New York for more than 25 years with involvement in interfaith relation and what they call the Americanization of Muslims.

Here's a link to their organization.

ASMA SOCIETY | American Society for Muslim Advancement

Old 08-15-2010, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meson View Post
How many non-terrorist Muslims lost their lives?
A couple hundred.

Old 08-15-2010, 01:02 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,000,893 times
Quote:

I am a survivor of the WTC attacks. Lost a lot of people I knew and worked with for decades died that day. I also work again at the World Trade Center area and am involved in the WTC rebuilding project.

Just giving that information to let you know that this concerns me personally and that I've tried to get the facts rather than jump up and down in an emotional reaction.

The imam of the mosque is a Sufi. That's the mystical/spiritual version of Islam and the fundamentalist Muslims do not like them. Bin Laden would consider this group not to be a true Muslim. This guy and his congregants were in the WTC area long before 9/11 and had nothing to do with the terrorists attacks. Their beliefs are far different than those of the fundamentalist extremists. A simple fact can help demonstrate that--his wife does not even wear a head scarf, let along the whole-body getup that the fundamentalists require.

They've been active in New York for more than 25 years with involvement in interfaith relation and what they call the Americanization of Muslims.

Where did they get the funding to build this thing? Wouldn't the property be better used as a property that generates tax income for NYC? Churches and mosques are a waste of space.

Old 08-15-2010, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
Are you referring to that country Bush should have attacked as opposed to Iraq? After all, it was the Saudis that took down the twin towers.
What is the purpose in repeating this sort of misinformation?

The government of Saudi Arabia had nothing to do with the 9/11 terrorist attacks. As a matter of fact, the types of Saudi dissidents who were part of the 9/11 terrorist team regularly bomb targets in their own country because they are angry that their government does business with the US and allows us to build military bases on what they consider their holy land.

I do not understand how someone in America could be unaware of this. Articles on the young, educated, religious fundamentalist Saudis who feel this way have appeared off and on since at least the 1980's that I can remember. I'm therefore suspicious of the motives behind someone who tosses out statements like this.

Old 08-15-2010, 01:05 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
Quote:

Thank you for an informed post. I feel truly awful for your loss, but I thank you for your patriotism.

Old 08-15-2010, 01:08 PM

563 posts, read 518,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
So do all Sunni Muslims want to kill people? Can you provide proof that even most of the Sunni Muslims want to kill people?

Please, I'm waiting. Remember, it must represent all or 51% of all Sunni Muslims.

Before you answer

Senior religious leaders in Iraq are preparing to sign an unprecedented “fatwa against violence” that will help reconcile the rival Sunni and Shia branches of Islam and herald new hopes for peace in the war-torn country.

First Sunni-Shia 'fatwa against violence' to be signed in Iraq -Times Online
Allow me to throw the ball back in your court, can you provide proof that the majority does not want to kill people and more importantly Americans. A lot of would have should have could haves.....Not a chance I'm willing to take....and I am also sure I'm not the only one either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies