Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2010, 08:18 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
But are they ? Who is running a campaign based on that ?
Do you "just believe it" because Obama said it ?

Which Republican is running on a campaign of privatizing SS ?
This one, along with her "pay the doctor with chickens" idea:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Sharron Angle is further clarifying her calls for the privatization of Social Security, saying that Chile has done it successfully. That is, Angle is now speaking favorably of a system that was enacted by a military dictator.

Angle: Copy Chile (And Pinochet?) To Privatize Social Security (VIDEO) | TPMDC

No comment. I have nothing to add to this. Angle's ideas and stances renders one speechless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2010, 08:18 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,752,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
WASHINGTON, Aug. 14 (UPI) -- U.S. President Barack Obama said Saturday he will "fight with everything I've got to stop those who would gamble your Social Security on Wall Street."

In his weekly radio and Internet address, the president observed the 75th anniversary of Social Security being signed into law and said he is "committed to working with anyone, Democrat or Republican, who wants to strengthen Social Security."

Obama: GOP would 'gamble' Social Sec. - UPI.com
Golly!! Is he actually going to have some backbone and take a STAND for something???

Old 08-14-2010, 08:22 AM

24,385 posts, read 23,044,056 times
I think he'd be okay with letting Wall Street's biggest investment banks take social security's money and let the feds cover the losses they'd have. Not a bad move though, saying the other party would gamble away what already isn't there.
Obama is playing 3 card monte without any cards whatsoever. Is anybody dumb enough to play with him?

Old 08-14-2010, 08:23 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,438,385 times
Wait why is it a bad idea to at least give people the option. What if I feel I can invest my money better then the government why should I not have that choice. I think we should be given a choice. Either take all of our money now and no SS when we retire from the government or we can let the government handle it. It is my money I should have some say in what happens to it.

Old 08-14-2010, 08:26 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Golly!! Is he actually going to have some backbone and take a STAND for something???
I doubt it. It's words to garnish support to re-elect the Dems in November.

Notice how amnesty (path to citizenship) is barely spoken about these days ?

Too close to elections..

Old 08-14-2010, 08:26 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Queen View Post
Wait why is it a bad idea to at least give people the option. What if I feel I can invest my money better then the government why should I not have that choice. I think we should be given a choice. Either take all of our money now and no SS when we retire from the government or we can let the government handle it. It is my money I should have some say in what happens to it.
You can invest some of your other money in more risky schemes. A lot of people have done that to their regret.

Old 08-14-2010, 08:27 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
I think he'd be okay with letting Wall Street's biggest investment banks take social security's money and let the feds cover the losses they'd have. Not a bad move though, saying the other party would gamble away what already isn't there.
Obama is playing 3 card monte without any cards whatsoever. Is anybody dumb enough to play with him?
There's plenty..rattle the cages and inject FEAR among the voters that their SS money will go to the Wall Street Banksters.

Newsflash..that SS money is already in the hands of the banksters..we have IOUs sitting in the SS fund.

Old 08-14-2010, 08:35 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,438,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
You can invest some of your other money in more risky schemes. A lot of people have done that to their regret.
Who said anything about risky schemes.? I have invested a lot of my money and have and still do continue to make way more off of it then I would get from SS. It should be a choice, I should be be required to give my money to the government. And if I want to blow it all that is my choice also.

Old 08-14-2010, 11:28 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishvanguard View Post
I don't see anything wrong with the government keeping 12% of my SS taxes, and I keep the other 3% as private property, to invest as I wish. Would this really be considered gambling by our President? I will have to confiscate his stocks and bonds.......... if his is a real fear that this constitutes reckless gambling.
And I think the day will come when that will happen, but not in my lifetime I am afraid.

Do I want every penny of my kids SS to be privatized, of course not, but let them decide.

I may also add, Pres Obama will do anything to keep his campaign on going, has anyone told him he can relax for awhile?

Nita

Old 08-14-2010, 11:33 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
and I can assure you, if we had to depend simply on our government SS checks to survive, now that we are retired we would starve. I am glad we did invest, even if it was just a few $$S. If we couold have taken, say 3% of our SS and invested it, we would probably have 1/2 again as much coming in as we do.

Now, the SS pot is about empty and the funds dried up. Who is going to pay for all those baby boomers just starting to collect? Your kids, your grandkids and who else?

NIta
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies