Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2010, 03:18 PM

2,031 posts, read 2,986,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Today the National Parks are fee free but only for this weekend. At one time, until the Republicans ruined them, they were always fee free. They should be made fee free again. People should not have to pay $25 to enter a national park or $12 to walk in a national park. These are our national treasures and they belong to ALL of us as Americans. They should be funded to adequate budget amounts by the Congress.

Free admission: National Park Service waives fees this weekend - CSMonitor.com
Fees actually vary by park. For example, the entry fee for Joshua Tree National Park is $15 regardless of means of locomotion. Death Valley National Park is $20 for a vehicle with four wheels, $10 on foot or a two-wheeled vehicle. Note that these are fees grant access for a full seven days.

I don't see a problem with it. As a person who loves the National Park system, a trip to Death Valley National Park (for example - one of my favorites) costs quite a bit in terms of equipment for camping, gasoline to get there, etc.. $20 is a small portion of the cost of a visit. Also, this allows general taxpayers like my grandmother, who has never been to a National Park and has no interest in doing so, to pay less of a portion of their maintenance than a user like me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2010, 03:20 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,543,305 times
They were fee free when our tax dollars went to their upkeep. Do you really think these NPs are being operated for free? Someone has to pick up all that litter so many users are leaving behind, and kill the animals that people are feeding (and teaching them to see humans as food sources, making them aggressive). Don't forget policing for poachers.

Old 08-14-2010, 03:22 PM

45,330 posts, read 60,500,026 times
I was going to say that I remember paying a fee at Yosemite in the 1970s.

Old 08-14-2010, 03:40 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
Quote:
Today the National Parks are fee free but only for this weekend. At one time, until the Republicans ruined them, they were always fee free. They should be made fee free again. People should not have to pay $25 to enter a national park or $12 to walk in a national park. These are our national treasures and they belong to ALL of us as Americans. They should be funded to adequate budget amounts by the Congress.

Personally I believe that there should be fees for use of the parks to help fund their maintenace by those that use them. Its like so mnay other thngs in that people do not want to support the parks but have someone else do it. Right now for instance hunters and fisherman pay high taxes on everything they buy at the manufacturing source to support many parks and public lands . People need to support what they want by actually paying a user fee that is a drop in the bucket compared to the overall cost.

Old 08-14-2010, 03:49 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
How do you propose the parks be maintained? The fees are relatively small income to the appropriations of taxpayer funds granted to the NPS by Congress. Yet, many Parks are closed or have areas that are close/unsafe. You'd like to increase closures and maintenance by doing away with the fees? Or, are you just whining because it might affect YOUR WALLET (up close and personal) if you choose to go to an NP?
Quote:
They should be FUNDED fully through the US Congress. Last time I went to one, I was not charged a FEE (Grand Canyon). It is not the $25 that bothers me but the Principle of the thing. People should not be charged to enjoy what is ours by birthright. Now, if you want to park an RV in a park, then I can understand a fee but not just to go in. I have never been charged by the NPS - Grand Canyon, Independence Hall, Liberty Bell, Martin Luther King home and center, the US Capitol. The NPS should be a HIGH priority for funding.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I don't know where you live but the Great Smoky Mountains National Park, where I live is free and guess what? All of my Tennessee State Parks are free, too. And guess what? We don't pay to get on any roads to get to them, either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
They were fee free when our tax dollars went to their upkeep. Do you really think these NPs are being operated for free? Someone has to pick up all that litter so many users are leaving behind, and kill the animals that people are feeding (and teaching them to see humans as food sources, making them aggressive). Don't forget policing for poachers.

kevk, when was the last time you went to a national park? specifically the grand canyon? i can tell you, since i have worked in three national parks since 1992, that the parks i worked in all had entrance fees. i have worked in grand teton, grand canyon, and shenandoah national parks.

as with all national parks, the roads, trails, infrastructure, etc. all need maintenance, and while the hotels and restaurants and gift shops in the parks are maintained by the vendors, the trails, monuments, roads, etc. are not. also someone needs to police the parks and enforce the laws, like reminding people that the speed limit is there for a reason, to prevent poaching, as well as enforce other laws as well. information centers need to be manned, and that costs money. providing water to the drinking fountains and toilets cost money. manning the entrance stations cost money. maintaining the camp grounds cost money.

in years past the entrance fees went into the general fund, and congress spent the money as they felt they wanted to spend it. the republicans did change that part, so that most of the entrance fee money goes to the park itself. as for costing up to $25 to enter a national park, that is cheap compared to what it should cost, because the vendors also pay the park service for the privilege of running a business in the park, and the park service controls the prices that can be charged by the vendors.

and by the way, everything that can be done is done to prevent killing nuisance animals, usually bears. they are trapped and taken at least 100 miles from where they were trapped, and released. if they return and again cause problems, they are again trapped and released, usually farther away. it takes a lot to have to kill a nuisance animal, and it is done only as a last resort.

Old 08-14-2010, 03:53 PM

45,330 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
kevk, when was the last time you went to a national park? specifically the grand canyon? i can tell you, since i have worked in three national parks since 1992, that the parks i worked in all had entrance fees. i have worked in grand teton, grand canyon, and shenandoah national parks.

as with all national parks, the roads, trails, infrastructure, etc. all need maintenance, and while the hotels and restaurants and gift shops in the parks are maintained by the vendors, the trails, monuments, roads, etc. are not. also someone needs to police the parks and enforce the laws, like reminding people that the speed limit is there for a reason, to prevent poaching, as well as enforce other laws as well. information centers need to be manned, and that costs money. providing water to the drinking fountains and toilets cost money. manning the entrance stations cost money. maintaining the camp grounds cost money.

in years past the entrance fees went into the general fund, and congress spent the money as they felt they wanted to spend it. the republicans did change that part, so that most of the entrance fee money goes to the park itself. as for costing up to $25 to enter a national park, that is cheap compared to what it should cost, because the vendors also pay the park service for the privilege of running a business in the park, and the park service controls the prices that can be charged by the vendors.

and by the way, everything that can be done is done to prevent killing nuisance animals, usually bears. they are trapped and taken at least 100 miles from where they were trapped, and released. if they return and again cause problems, they are again trapped and released, usually farther away. it takes a lot to have to kill a nuisance animal, and it is done only as a last resort.

There you go again, letting facts get in the way.

Old 08-14-2010, 03:56 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
There you go again, letting facts get in the way.
>looks down and kicks a pebble< sorry

Old 08-14-2010, 04:04 PM

1,530 posts, read 1,532,373 times
How many of our National Parks have been sold to other countries and who is really getting the money?

Old 08-14-2010, 08:12 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,169,557 times
Right now I'd just close all the ones that can't fund their activities through entrance fees to everything but foot and horse traffic. Block the entries, lay off the rangers or transfer them, and let nature take the land back until the US can afford to have national parks. Anyone willing to go in on foot or horseback knowing they're on their own can do so free of charge.

Old 08-14-2010, 08:29 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,993,162 times
Quote:

Absolutely right! I remember back in the early 90s when I first made the drive to california that I stopped at Hoover Dam. I was amazed at the awesomeness of the Dam and its history, but also the admission price of 25 cents!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies