Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 05:21 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,843,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brajohns81 View Post
I mean it has taken me awhile to realize that politics and politicians are a lot of the time just silly. To the Democrats the Republicans are what is wrong with this country and the cause of every bad thing that happens in it, to the Republicans the Democrats are what is wrong with this country and are the cause of every bad thing that happens in it, and too many people still fall for this "vote for me and I will set you free" promise with politicians. Most recently it has been with Barack Obama.
Many of the people who support Obama act like he is the messiah sent down from above to save the world while the people who don't support Obama act like he is the antichrist sent up from Satan himself. I mean c'mon people. These politicians are still human beings no matter what side of the aisle they sit on and they can't reign down eternal happiness and turn this world into a utopia. There have always been good and bad points about this world and there will always will be. You are responsible for your own happiness, not other people. I know there are still going to be people who won't listen to this and will still go into the voting booth and vote straight-ticket for whatever party they support, which is why we are in the mess we are in right now. Just because someone has a D or an R next to their name doesn't mean they are fit for the job and NONE of them can bring you some utopian world.
Politicians can, and do, ride the varying waves of what they think is "popular". That is certainly not new nor is it exclusive of either Party. Presidents do not have that luxury, they have to, or should, do what is right. I admire Obama's tenacity to do that. We have had Presidents that do follow the whims of popular opinion, regardless of whether it is right or not. GW, did that. After 911, it was popular to strike back at Muslims, any Muslims. The vast majority of Americans wanted to do that as well. So Iraq was the target. Yes it was a reprehensible state with a diabolical leader, but they were not the source of the 911 attack, they were a convenient target. Identifiable targets of infrastructure, munitions and Command and Control facilities that could be removed. They also posed no match for the combined war machines of the US and GB. So they engaged to satisfy the revenge lust that was so popular, and apparently, still is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2010, 06:40 AM

3,100 posts, read 3,299,627 times
In a nutshell, people in society need reassurance from outside sources that the things they hold near and dear will always be there. The dems and the repubs cater to that need depending on who you are. And when something scary happens, they need someone to tell them that it will be all right.

Old 08-15-2010, 07:54 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,364,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
We get the politicians we choose, even if it doesn't seem like that. I don't think that politicians are inherently worse than the population as a whole--there crimes are simply magnified by intense scrutiny and a strong need to be everything to everybody. If they tell us what we want to hear, it's only because they've learned that we mostly want to be told what we want to hear. If they refuse to lower spending or raise taxes its because they've learned that doing either will alienate about half their constituents but just increasing the debt and making it a problem for later won't.
Exactly. We get what we choose because the majority of people choose not to do any of the legwork to find out the truth about who they're voting for. They want to be spoon fed the answer. In my experiences I've found that a lot people are just lazy. They want a solution but not if the process inconveniences their lives in any way.

Old 08-15-2010, 11:57 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,630,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brajohns81 View Post
I mean it has taken me awhile to realize that politics and politicians are a lot of the time just silly. To the Democrats the Republicans are what is wrong with this country and the cause of every bad thing that happens in it, to the Republicans the Democrats are what is wrong with this country and are the cause of every bad thing that happens in it, and too many people still fall for this "vote for me and I will set you free" promise with politicians. Most recently it has been with Barack Obama.
Many of the people who support Obama act like he is the messiah sent down from above to save the world while the people who don't support Obama act like he is the antichrist sent up from Satan himself. I mean c'mon people. These politicians are still human beings no matter what side of the aisle they sit on and they can't reign down eternal happiness and turn this world into a utopia. There have always been good and bad points about this world and there will always will be. You are responsible for your own happiness, not other people. I know there are still going to be people who won't listen to this and will still go into the voting booth and vote straight-ticket for whatever party they support, which is why we are in the mess we are in right now. Just because someone has a D or an R next to their name doesn't mean they are fit for the job and NONE of them can bring you some utopian world.
Because it is the American way and being a democracy is what makes our country great. What would you suggest we do? Just sit back and do nothing. It might surprise you to know, many of us do not vote straight ticket, in fact only those who's minds are narrow and completely closed vote straight ticket.

Nita

Old 08-15-2010, 12:00 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,630,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
Unbiased thread until you jumped in. Ding ding ding! Stupidity goes to the republicans!
Hey, don't be one of those with a closed mind. Just because a poster or a thread was started that may have had a hidden agenda, doesn't put everyone in the same catagory. If you are going to make statements like "stupidity goes to the Republicans" you are showing yours. You are also showing your narrow mind which is what the OP is talking about.
Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies