Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 08:17 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times

Advertisements

it remains to be seen if pluralism will survive.
tolerance has become apathy, it does not help, punishing your citizens when they respond to threats.
civil rights has began to trump criminal law- not good.
freedom of the majority has been greatly eroded for the benefit of freedom of the privileged few, e.g.K12 and jobs.
some people are more equal than others, get suspended in school for wearing crosses but burqua/veil ok.
my doing the right thing does not always improve the behavior of others.
sometimes modeling is not enough.
the muslim nations that have survived are the ones ruthless enough to
severely repress those that attempt to overthrow them or make their own rules.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2010, 08:21 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,861,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
tolerance has become apathy.
civil rights has began to trump criminal law.
freedom of the majority has been greatly eroded for the benefit of freedom of the privileged few.
some people are more equal than others.
sometimes modeling is not enough.
Freedom of the majority?

Tyranny of the majority.

Two sides of the same coin.

The Bill of Rights was designed to protect the Individual from that Freedom of the Majority. It's not freedom of the majority that has to be protected from erosion. And it never has been.

Old 08-17-2010, 08:22 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,377,473 times

Guess this guy couldn't worship at ground zero, or his children, or his childrens childrens.

Old 08-17-2010, 08:26 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,126,788 times
Quote:
Because you think it is under some kind of threat? What?

Quote:
tolerance has become apathy, that does not help, punishing your citizens when they respond to threats.
Huh?

Quote:
civil rights has began to trump criminal law not good.

Wut? Civil rights are most often implicated in criminal cases. The 4th, 5th, 6th and 8th amendments DIRECTLY address criminal proceeedings. How have they begun to "trump", criminal law. THEY ARE CRIMINAL LAW.

Quote:
freedom of the majority has been greatly eroded for the benefit of freedom of the privileged few, e.g.K12 and jobs.
Preventing the tyranny of the majority is the whole reason for having civil rights in the first place. Didn't you know that?

Quote:
some people are more equal than others, get suspended in school for wearing and crosses but burqua/veil ok.
Like WHO? Prove it. Show me examples. Not blog rants, real evidence.

Quote:
Welcome to the effin' Club of the Rest of Us.

Old 08-17-2010, 08:28 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,917,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
There is a difference. I'm not saying those that oppose the Mosque are wrong. I have my own personal feelings on it, but to me, its completely different issues.

Its not denial. If you don't like it, say so. But if your reasons for not liking it are hate and bigotry, then don't say anything.

I have friends and relatives who don't like President Obama because he's black, no other reason. They know it, and they'll say it in private. But they don't run around spouting off hateful comments about black folks, just because they don't like them.

They'll say, "I don't like the President" if pushed for a reason, they'll walk away. Whats wrong with that? I disagree with their position and hate, but its a free country.
Your failure to recognize radical Islam in the form of Shariah as a political as well as a religious movement speaks loudly to denial.

My reasons have never been either hate nor bigotry. My reasons for opposition of Shariah is the historical evidence of how allowing it to creep in through political correctness is the downfall of western civilization as we know it. Take a good hard look at what radical Islam has achieved politically in Western Europe. Deny that.

Stop the fallacious projection of the sublimation of "hate", "bigotry", "raciscm", etc.. as the reasons for opposition to radical Islam, to this administration's policies, to the opposition of marriage between homosexuals, to believing that the innocent life of the human fetus deserves protecting, or anything else that fails to match your ideology. It is completely intellectually dishonest.

Old 08-17-2010, 08:31 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,297,960 times
Quote:
It pluralism doesn't survive America wont' survive. The hard reality of many people are having problems comming to gripes with is that we are becomming an increasingly diverse country.

Old 08-17-2010, 08:32 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,377,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
My reasons have never been either hate nor bigotry. My reasons for opposition of Shariah is the historical evidence of how allowing it to creep in through political correctness is the downfall of western civilization as we know it. Take a good hard look at what radical Islam has achieved politically in Western Europe. Deny that.

Stop the fallacious projection of the sublimation of "hate", "bigotry", "raciscm", etc.. as the reasons for opposition to radical Islam, to this administration's policies, to the opposition of marriage between homosexuals, to believing that the innocent life of the human fetus deserves protecting, or anything else that fails to match your ideology. It is completely intellectually dishonest.
Christian churches run the gamut of their beliefs also. Just because they say they follow the 10 commandments, or the laws of Moses doesn't make them anymore likely to murder homosexuals does it?

I wasn't directing that at you, and you've seen the statements I'm referring to as hate, bigotry, and racism. You're not blind, I'm not going to go through all 100 and some odd pages of this thread, you've been here since around page 20, and you've seen the "Muslims attacked us on 9/11" like it was all Muslims that did it.

Old 08-17-2010, 08:39 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,917,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Christian churches run the gamut of their beliefs also. Just because they say they follow the 10 commandments, or the laws of Moses doesn't make them anymore likely to murder homosexuals does it?

I wasn't directing that at you, and you've seen the statements I'm referring to as hate, bigotry, and racism. You're not blind, I'm not going to go through all 100 and some odd pages of this thread, you've been here since around page 20, and you've seen the "Muslims attacked us on 9/11" like it was all Muslims that did it.
That is your assumption to interpret most posts in that manner and then your choice and methodology to repeat a lie based on your chosen interpretation of a minority of posts.

And yes, when you continually reply specifically to my posts and throw out the labels of "bigot", "hate", and "racism", you are directing it not only toward me but toward anyone who holds similar opinions.

Old 08-17-2010, 08:40 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,126,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
That is your assumption to interpret most posts in that manner and then your choice and methodology to repeat a lie based on your chosen interpretation of a minority of posts.

And yes, when you continually reply specifically to my posts and throw out the labels of "bigot", "hate", and "racism", you are directing it toward me.
Call it whatever you like, I think he's spot on.

It's based entirely in bigotry and prejudice.

Last edited by CaseyB; 08-17-2010 at 02:09 PM.. Reason: rude/personal

Old 08-17-2010, 08:46 AM

783 posts, read 814,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Oh, BS. I don't cherish liberal values, you silly one. I cherish the principles outlined by the Framers of the Constitution. And unlike you, I actually trust the Constitution to do what it's been doing for the past 200+ years: protect Americans to allow them to have freedom of speech, freedom of religion, freedom of the press. You sit here and advocate restricting freedom of religion, as if that weren't the actual destruction of those principles.
The values of the constitution are liberal values.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies