Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 07:36 AM

90,316 posts, read 120,345,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
I've yet to see the TP advocate for social agenda items. Care to back up your statements?
I'm not at my regular computer with all the bookmarks, and I can't cut/paste from this comp anyway, but. Google "Tea Party pictures" and you'll see all sorts of social statements, about abortion, Obama being a Muslim and other "birther" crap, etc. A Republican candidate for Senate in Colorado actually referred to the TPers as *****birthers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2010, 07:38 AM

2,673 posts, read 3,238,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
And just how do you know these were not "plants"???

People there trying to make others look badly.
Of course they were plants. If there's ever a mistake that makes one side look like idiots then blame the other side. God forbid owning up to a mistake.

I'm not a TP, so I can't answer the OPs question. I believe it's fine that people want to raise their voice and group together for a common cause, but I just disagree with most of their rhetoric. I don't grasp why they worry so much about their rights being trampled, but were behind the Patriot Act 100%. What they're saying now doesn't add up with their silence in the past. Plus, they turned my stomach from the git-go when I saw some of their kids dressed up in dime store war bonnets. That seems to have fallen by the way-side, thank god.

Old 08-17-2010, 07:40 AM

7,545 posts, read 8,304,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I'm not at my regular computer with all the bookmarks, and I can't cut/paste from this comp anyway, but. Google "Tea Party pictures" and you'll see all sorts of social statements, about abortion, Obama being a Muslim and other "birther" crap, etc. A Republican candidate for Senate in Colorado actually referred to the TPers as *****birthers.
But that's not really advocating a social agenda. There may be people showing up to rallies that also want to push some social items (ie., abortion), but that's not what the TP has been or is about in any way.

Old 08-17-2010, 07:47 AM

90,316 posts, read 120,345,034 times
Quote:
But that's not really advocating a social agenda. There may be people showing up to rallies that also want to push some social items (ie., abortion), but that's not what the TP has been or is about in any way.
Just what IS the Tea Party about, aside from "Taxed Enough Already"? They say they have no leaders. What do they expect to accomplish?

Old 08-17-2010, 07:50 AM

24,834 posts, read 37,239,713 times
Quote:
Just what IS the Tea Party about, aside from "Taxed Enough Already"? They say they have no leaders. What do they expect to accomplish?
LOL...look at all the discussion.

That is what it is about.

Old 08-17-2010, 07:54 AM

7,545 posts, read 8,304,585 times
Quote:
Reigning in government excesses and corruption.

Old 08-17-2010, 07:57 AM

77,014 posts, read 47,365,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Those who consider themselves to be members of the Tea Party, do you view that label with pride? Do you openly tell people you are a member of the Tea Party?
No, as a matter of fact I told them to stop sending me e-mails. The idea was good at first, but then the whole movement turned into Republican propaganda machine. They were spreading pure misinformation and I couldn't stomack it anymore so I called it quits.

Old 08-17-2010, 08:18 AM

1,895 posts, read 3,405,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Then stop labeling people.

Many things at the meetings I agree with other Tea Party participants, and some things I disagree with.

They support my right to disagree as I support theirs.

i stopped labeling people a while back...when i realized that's exactly what our Politicians need us to do in order for them to get re-elected...

my fear is that this Tea Party movement is the new trendy political thing to do, and in time it will be watered down to conform to mainstream politics as usual...i hope i'm wrong.

Old 08-17-2010, 08:35 AM

1,062 posts, read 1,124,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugerjitsu View Post
i stopped labeling people a while back...when i realized that's exactly what our Politicians need us to do in order for them to get re-elected...

my fear is that this Tea Party movement is the new trendy political thing to do, and in time it will be watered down to conform to mainstream politics as usual...i hope i'm wrong.
I'm sure we spend more time defending it than talking to each other about it. With all the lies told about the Tea , and the ability of anyone to go see for themselves , the main meida and Democrats will loose much credibility on this one. The young voters are likely to go to protest and see nothing they expected .

Old 08-17-2010, 08:38 AM

1,672 posts, read 1,765,071 times
Quote:
I've yet to see the TP advocate for social agenda items. Care to back up your statements?
When the AFA and other's started organizing with the TP. They have urged many TP supporters to support additional stances, found here:

Mandate To Save America

And they have been growing louder. I saw it during the primaries in North Carolina.

Plus, I highlight "appropriate fiscal responsibility." The current TP stance is not approriate anymore, IMO, and is actually fiscally irresponsible to the long term economic growth of the United States(like the "Gold Standard" and ending the Federal Reserve).

Key point here is I support reducing government entitlements and spending. I do NOT support demanding lower taxes (reform is fine) and yes I know that is ironic as TEA is for "Taxed Enough Already." The lowering tax arguement is something I didn't fully embrace but the rest of the arguements, originally, I did.

In fact, with the current data, I would lean towards slightly more taxes for everyone then lowering them (in real term, our taxes are the lowest in decades, which is part of our dang problem).

Oh and please don't bring up the lower taxes=more revenue arguement. I've posted the math of when that arguement does work and when it doesn't, yet keeps getting ignored. Currently it does NOT work in real terms.

The only reason to lower taxes, at our current tax rates, is if we have surpluses, which we do not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies