Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 11:22 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times

Advertisements

I don't get the controversy over this particualar drug. This kind of thing happens ALL THE TIME. Drugs are tested and tried for thing other than what they have been approved for and decisions are made regarding their effectiveness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2010, 11:28 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,129,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
Price controls over the final product? How would you do that if it costs $x.xx amount to manufacture when you factor in salaries, overhead, etc...? Government subsidy to bring the costs down? That's the only thing I can see working unless you slash the employees pay to bring down final product cost. And that is not something I advocate.
Whatever it takes. It is immoral in the extreme to permit people to sicken and die over some pharmaceutical company's bottom line - and we end up paying for it anyway, one way or the other.

I'd prefer not to use direct subsidies, but rather a more incentive-driven approach like tax credits. It works wonderfully for financing affordable housing (or did, before the syndication rates crashed), I can't see why it wouldn't work for health care too.

And there are a lot of other ideas out there too - but the pharma industry really isn't interested in listening. They will not do anything unless and until they are forced to.

Sadly that will require some kind of government intervention.

Old 08-18-2010, 11:29 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
So "those payors" will have to wait longer. The rest of us, whose insurance does not change will, therefore, see no change. But "those payors" had no insurance before so how are they worse off?
You will see more people drop off of private insurance and go to the govt programs...until there are no more private insurance companies. Then we're all worse off.

Old 08-18-2010, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Good. Then you better spread that philosophy to the food, housing, personal training, and security companies.
I do. I am a consumer advocate, in a sense.

Old 08-18-2010, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Obamacare is all about CONTROL. People getting healthcare...not so much.
I really don't care to hear about your ideology, or engage in another tiresome debate about our current POTUS.

You don't like Obama. We get it. Moving on.

Old 08-18-2010, 11:39 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,300,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
Price controls.

I have no problem letting them make a tidy profit, but not at the expense of people dying because they can't afford medicine.

We're supposed to be a civilized country.
Well private insurance companies do it all the time. If a specifc treatment or therapy doesn't meet with your insurance company's approval THEY WILL DENY COVERAGE FOR THAT TREATMENT NO MATTER HOW EFFECTIVE IT MIGHT BE.

WHERE IS YOUR OUTRAGE!

There was a recent episode of "Boston General" where a man's insurance company initially denied him a heart transplant. By the time they got around to changing their minds the man's condition had deteriorated to the point where a transplant was no longer a viable option. The man died shorthly thereafter.

This happens all the time. Why are people O.K. with the fact that private insurance companies have maximum limits based on your policy? Once you exceed those limits you are longer covered. Yet when the government has similar practices people or in an uproar.

Old 08-18-2010, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
Well private insurance companies do it all the time. If a specifc treatment or therapy doesn't meet with your insurance company's approval THEY WILL DENY COVERAGE FOR THAT TREATMENT NO MATTER HOW EFFECTIVE IT MIGHT BE.

WHERE IS YOUR OUTRAGE!
Trust me, I know more about health insurance companies than any reasonable person should. I used to prosecute physicians for fraud - so usually I was on the side of the insurance company. I found them just as reprehensible as the dirtbag doctors committing fraud.

No honor among thieves.

Old 08-18-2010, 12:08 PM

2,673 posts, read 3,248,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
Our system certainly needs overhauling but I'm afraid obamas plan to enrich the insurance companies by forcing folks to pay high rates is going to fail. And make no mistake the rates will be as high as a mortgage payment per month. Many will choose high deductibles to avoid high monthly rates in which care is still not affordable for many middle class people. It will hurt smaller private businesses not corporations, not state and federal governments because they'll still get the sweetheart deals from these thieves.
Where have you been? They already have been as high as mortgage rates. I'm lucky, and have both insurance and Indian Healthcare available, but I have friends who pay up to a $1,000/month for insurance. If it were me, I'd say p*ss on that! I won't pay.

Old 08-18-2010, 12:38 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,921,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
You will see more people drop off of private insurance and go to the govt programs...until there are no more private insurance companies. Then we're all worse off.

Right now, there is no generalized government insurance programs so I don't get how we will see people dropping off private insurance to go on it.

Old 08-18-2010, 01:35 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Right now, there is no generalized government insurance programs so I don't get how we will see people dropping off private insurance to go on it.
*sigh* The 'public option.' Remember? The new medicaid folk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies