Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 02:46 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,859,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Is the American car industry required to report on the safety of vehicles produced in the 1950's and stored in unknown circumstances as a factor of vehicle accidents on public roads? I suspect they are a greater risk to the public safety at large.
If the Korean government wants to sell vehicles produced in the 1950's and stored in unknown circumstances, should we let them do so? These are weapons being imported. I think the condition of the weapons is a legitimate concern. I don't want defective weapons being sold on the cheap, and innocent people dying because of it. All to profit the Koreans. I had no idea, though, that you were such a supporter of Korean imports.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2010, 02:47 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,138,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Leftovers from the Korean War. Do we know how they were stored and maintained for the past five decades?
No, we don't. From WWII, too.

This is just a "No thanks" to a business offer, it's not the end of our Second Amendment rights. This must happen with one or another lot of merchandise hundreds of times a day.

Old 08-18-2010, 02:49 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,914,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
It Begins: Obama Bans Over 100,000 Rifles

There it is again, "It begins:" opening a RW title!

"These self-loading were rifles introduced in 1926 and 1941." Does that mean they were made in those years?

I guess so: the original says, "The U.S. government opposed South Korea’s bid to sell hundreds of thousands of aging U.S. combat rifles to American gun collectors".

That evil Obama, I tell yew wut. It begins.
Here you go sweetie, everything you ever wanted to know about M1 Garands.

M1 History 2 (http://www.thegca.org/m1_history_2.htm - broken link)

M1 Member Memories (http://www.thegca.org/m1_member_memories.htm - broken link)

Old 08-18-2010, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
this thread title is missing an important adjective: hunting rifles

No one wants every redneck and his brother to own an anti air craft cannon, these guns are only used for legal hunting
They were military weapons.

And the OP's article says:

"As rifles, they are especially well-suited to community defense in an emergency, as in the cases of community defense following Hurricane Katrina in 2005 and Hurricane Andrew in 1992."

So, that would seem to contradict your statement that, "these guns are only used for legal hunting."

Old 08-18-2010, 02:53 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,138,717 times
Quote:
Here you go sweetie, everything you ever wanted to know about M1 Garands.

M1 History 2 (http://www.thegca.org/m1_history_2.htm - broken link)

M1 Member Memories (http://www.thegca.org/m1_member_memories.htm - broken link)
And none of those exist in the United States?

Old 08-18-2010, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Is the American car industry required to report on the safety of vehicles produced in the 1950's and stored in unknown circumstances as a factor of vehicle accidents on public roads? I suspect they are a greater risk to the public safety at large.

Seriously, have you ever stripped a firearm down to its parts and cleaned it? Have you ever moved metal to make a firearm? It is obvious you post on the illogical "fear-factor" than any knowledge base.

A trip to the gun range with a qualified instructor and some instruction in firearms safety might cure that hoplophobia of yours. Seriously.
Seriously, can you guarantee that every person purchasing one of these cheap weapons is going to know how to make sure it can safely be used? I don't think so. Your right to buy a weapon isn't being infringed upon in any way shape or form. You can go to the store and choose from hundreds of weapons. You can probably go to a gun show and get one of these guns. I think my grandfather has one in storage. He fought in the Korean War. Would you like me to ask?

Old 08-18-2010, 02:56 PM

Quote:
If the Korean government wants to sell vehicles produced in the 1950's and stored in unknown circumstances, should we let them do so? These are weapons being imported. I think the condition of the weapons is a legitimate concern. I don't want defective weapons being sold on the cheap, and innocent people dying because of it. All to profit the Koreans. I had no idea, though, that you were such a supporter of Korean imports.
S. Korea is our ally are they not? I actually have a bit of knowlege and I do not have any irrational fears over the condition of these antique rifles.

Do you similarly place every antique imported to the USA under such scrutiny? I mean that 17th century French secretary could fall over and kill a small child in his/her home for heaven's sake.

Your concern is disingenuous and transparently shallow.

How many people are going to have health problems due to Chinese dry-wall, children's toys laden with lead and other dangerous heavy metals, milk product filled with poison?

Old 08-18-2010, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Seriously, can you guarantee that every person purchasing one of these cheap weapons is going to know how to make sure it can safely be used? I don't think so. Your right to buy a weapon isn't being infringed upon in any way shape or form. You can go to the store and choose from hundreds of weapons. You can probably go to a gun show and get one of these guns. I think my grandfather has one in storage. He fought in the Korean War. Would you like me to ask?
No thanks, I have quite a beauty and all the numbers match.

Can you guarantee that every person purchasing an imported toaster isn't going to burn down the entire neighborhood? No, you cannot.

[MOD CUT/off topic]

You either enforce the Constitution in its entirety or not at all. It has been raped over and over yet you support that rape when it suits your political sensitivities. The true test of freedom is the willingness to support them when it does not. Wouldn't you agree. Or does hypocrisy become you?

Last edited by Ibginnie; 08-18-2010 at 04:50 PM..

Old 08-18-2010, 03:02 PM

Quote:
S. Korea is our ally are they not? I actually have a bit of knowlege and I do not have any irrational fears over the condition of these antique rifles.

Do you similarly place every antique imported to the USA under such scrutiny? I mean that 17th century French secretary could fall over and kill a small child in his/her home for heaven's sake.

Your concern is disingenuous and transparently shallow.

How many people are going to have health problems due to Chinese dry-wall, children's toys laden with lead and other dangerous heavy metals, milk product filled with poison?
Whether you have a bit of knowledge or not, I don't know. But I do know you are being deliberately obtuse. So far, you have compared this GUN to cars and antiques. Deliberate obtuseness is disingenuous and transparently shallow. It doesn't matter if the majority of these guns are fine. The fact remains, and has been made clear by the other posters on this thread, that people are interested in purchasing them not only as collectors items, but for the purpose of using them. And considering their age, and the fact that we do not know how they were stored and maintained for more than fifty years, the safety of them is a legitimate concern. And you saying pshaw doesn't make that not so. If you can guarantee that they don't pose a risk to the public safety, because of age and condition, then go for it. But you can't guarantee that, can you? YOU CAN'T GUARANTEE IT. So go on down to the Gun Store, or check on Craigslist or Ebay, and find one of these guns that is already in the United States. But your shallow outrage because Korea won't be importing old and questionable weapons into the United States is pretty implausible.

Old 08-18-2010, 03:05 PM

Quote:
No thanks, I have quite a beauty and all the numbers match.

Can you guarantee that every person purchasing an imported toaster isn't going to burn down the entire neighborhood? No, you cannot.

[MOD CUT/off topic].

You either enforce the Constitution in its entirety or not at all. It has been raped over and over yet you support that rape when it suits your political sensitivities. The true test of freedom is the willingness to support them when it does not. Wouldn't you agree. Or does hypocrisy become you?
[MOD CUT/off topic] In the meantime, are you less able to purchase guns today than you were yesterday? You already own one of these weapons? Then what exactly are you whining about?

Last edited by Ibginnie; 08-18-2010 at 04:51 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies