Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 03:40 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,298,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressing-On View Post
It's like the Muslim at Target that refused to check out a person that had bacon among her items. Fire him!! No, they didn't fire him. They moved him to another area of the store!
It would be similar to that if the hijab prevented her from greeting guests and performing her job. The Target employee's job is to check out bacon among other items so in this case, Target would be justified since his belief impairs him from performing his job. In this example, the hijab is not impairing her from performing her duties of greeting guests.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2010, 03:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressing-On View Post
If only that made sense. It used to around 40 years ago. We are an unleashed and unfettered society now. No borders, no rules, it's hurts my feelings! Waaaaaa!
Yeah, it made sense 40 years ago before we had civil rights, laws protecting the handicapped etc. Blacks couldn't even play for SEC universities until 1972. Yeah, we are such an advanced society then.

"I love the good ole days when we could bus dem dared coloreds to the other skewl and let them drink from a diffurn fownten. Whooowee, we sure were advanced back then! Can you believe these people now wanna vote and be treated like equals. What the heyll are they thinkin! Boay, that Strom Thurmond, he sure knew the truth"

Old 08-25-2010, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilkDrinker View Post
No, the dressing rules at Goldman Sachs are not as at Disney! You want to be Mickey Mouse or what? What was she expecting? At Disney those who work in the park are required to wear a suit given by the company. At Goldman you can wear anything you want unless it breaks the dressing code.
Then people come at Disney to see those characters from their movies. They don't come at Goldman to see the blond shaved guy!
No, she is not dressing like Mickey Mouse. She is a hostess. She was not wearing anything on her head. But suddenly a hijab is going to make a kid not think he is at Disneyland despite the fact that large Mickey Mouse and Donald Ducks are walking all over the place but yeah that one hijab is going to suddenly make a 5 year old introspective and confuse him thoroughly: "Mom, I thought we were at Disneyland but that woman's scarf on her head makes me think otherwise now" Please!

And Goldman does not allow the use of hats or caps in their investment banking division. A yarmulka is a noted exception due its religious significance.

Old 08-25-2010, 04:10 AM

624 posts, read 1,121,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
No, she is not dressing like Mickey Mouse. She is a hostess. She was not wearing anything on her head. But suddenly a hijab is going to make a kid not think he is at Disneyland despite the fact that large Mickey Mouse and Donald Ducks are walking all over the place but yeah that one hijab is going to suddenly make a 5 year old introspective and confuse him thoroughly: "Mom, I thought we were at Disneyland but that woman's scarf on her head makes me think otherwise now" Please!

And Goldman does not allow the use of hats or caps in their investment banking division. A yarmulka is a noted exception due its religious significance.
Yes, because Goldman's clients are not offended by the yarmulka but Disney's clients are! When I go to an amusement park I don't want to see all the weirdos in the world! What's next? We will see Amazonians naked in our amusement parks and no one can do nothing because that's how they do it in the jungle?

Old 08-25-2010, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Yes, because Goldman's clients are not offended by the yarmulka but Disney's clients are! When I go to an amusement park I don't want to see all the weirdos in the world! What's next? We will see Amazonians naked in our amusement parks and no one can do nothing because that's how they do it in the jungle?
Oh really, so Disney's clients complained and said they were upset with her wearing a hijab? Of course not, you just made that up in a futile effort to support your weak point. The only person who had issues with her wearing the hijab were her employers. Weirdo??....so let me guess, you are squinting with your hand in the air as if you were a vampire staring at sunlight: "Please take that piece of cloth off your head, it is blinding me because you look like such a weirdo but the fat dude wearing the Goofy hat behind you looks so normal"

And your Amazonian example actually contradicts your point so nice job. Your point about her not wearing a hijab is authenticity. You are arguing the experience is less authentic because she is wearing a hijab. A naked Amazonian is more authentic yet you are criticizing it. LOL...be careful with those analogies. It might help to understand why you are using certain ones.

Last edited by azriverfan.; 08-25-2010 at 05:10 AM..

Old 08-25-2010, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Oh really, so Disney's clients complained and said they were upset with her wearing a hijab? Of course not, you just made that up. The only person who had issues with her wearing the hijab were her employers. Weirdo....so let me guess, you are squinting with your hand in the air as if you were a vampire staring at sunlight: "Please take that piece of cloth off your head, it is blinding me because you look like such a weirdo but the fat dude wearing the Goofy hat behind you looks so normal"
Let's consider that at Disney someone is anti-Islam. Next day he comes in a shirt with Mohammed's bomb head. Would you be offended? (His religion is to be anti-Islam so is his right, no?) But others don't have the right to be offended by that hijab, no? Some clients complained about seeing a cross neckless and they don't have the right to wear the cross at work... but the muslim girl has the right to wear that offensive hijab just because she's "thin-skinned"?

Old 08-25-2010, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Oh really, so Disney's clients complained and said they were upset with her wearing a hijab? Of course not, you just made that up in a futile effort to support your weak point. The only person who had issues with her wearing the hijab were her employers. Weirdo??....so let me guess, you are squinting with your hand in the air as if you were a vampire staring at sunlight: "Please take that piece of cloth off your head, it is blinding me because you look like such a weirdo but the fat dude wearing the Goofy hat behind you looks so normal"

And your Amazonian example actually contradicts your point so nice job. Your point about her not wearing a hijab is authenticity. You are arguing the experience is less authentic because she is wearing a hijab. A naked Amazonian is more authentic yet you are criticizing it. LOL...be careful with those analogies. It might help to understand why you are using certain ones.
No, with that Amazonian example I wanted to point that when someone goes to Disney he wants to see what Disney has to offer. If he wanted to see world's ethnicities he will probably go to NYC or somewhere else! At Disney everybody has to wear companies costumes and nothing more!

Old 08-25-2010, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Let's consider that at Disney someone is anti-Islam. Next day he comes in a shirt with Mohammed's bomb head. Would you be offended? (His religion is to be anti-Islam so is his right, no?) But others don't have the right to be offended by that hijab, no? Some clients complained about seeing a cross neckless and they don't have the right to wear the cross at work... but the muslim girl has the right to wear that offensive hijab just because she's "thin-skinned"?
No, that's not his religion. That's his political belief. This is about a person's right to religious expression which is a protected right under the EEOC.

Let's consider a Disney employee who shows up with a chain with a cross on it. Should we tell that person that he or she should go home because they wore a cross? If that were to happen, you can be assured the Christian Taliban would go ape sh$# in this country. Heck, they go nuts if you can't force Creationism in science classes in public schools, what makes you think the Tea Party wouldn't come out in full force at Disney for this.

Old 08-25-2010, 05:19 AM

Quote:
No, that's not his religion. That's his political belief. This is about a person's right to religious expression which is a protected right under the EEOC.

Let's consider a Disney employee who shows up with a chain with a cross on it. Should we tell that person that he or she should go home because they wore a cross?
They don't have the right to wear that cross! Why this girl would have the right to wear that hijab?

Here in Europe in some countries we banned it because it's offensive. When you come to our country you become part of our culture because we don't care about yours. If we cared we would probably visit your country. We don't want to see the craziness of every ethnicity!
Every ethnicity has some clothes that are part of their tradition but they don't wear'em all the time!

Old 08-25-2010, 05:35 AM

2,422 posts, read 2,279,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovehuskies View Post
If the company already had a dress code in place that prohibits the hijab, then she should have researched that before she applied for the position. However, if she is a recent immigrant, then it's very possible she doesn't know any better.

In a free society it can be difficult at times to accomodate everyone equally. She has just as much a right to wear hijab as Disneyland has to institute a dress code policy defining appropriate dress.
She knows, she is like every other Muslim, it's ok for them to cram their beliefs down our throats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies