Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2010, 10:11 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times

Advertisements

"Only NBC broadcast it live, in asymmetrical image to the invasion that captured the nation’s attention on television seven years ago.
In explaining NBC’s live coverage earlier this week, the network’s chief foreign correspondent, Richard Engel, said the war “shouldn’t end with such a whisper.”"

As Combat Troops Leave Iraq, News Media Ride Along - Media Decoder Blog - NYTimes.com

Iraq Troop | Withdrawal - MSNBC - Rachel Maddow | Mediaite
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2010, 10:15 AM

7,211 posts, read 9,431,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
"Only NBC broadcast it live, in asymmetrical image to the invasion that captured the nation’s attention on television seven years ago.
In explaining NBC’s live coverage earlier this week, the network’s chief foreign correspondent, Richard Engel, said the war “shouldn’t end with such a whisper.”"

As Combat Troops Leave Iraq, News Media Ride Along - Media Decoder Blog - NYTimes.com

Iraq Troop | Withdrawal - MSNBC - Rachel Maddow | Mediaite

You mean to say Faux News wasn't there? What a surprise.

Old 08-19-2010, 10:17 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,123,773 times
As I understand it, it was a one way collusion with MSNBC as the sole media outlet invited to document the live exit. In fact, Olbermann and Maddow repeatedly trumpeted this fact during the broadcast.

EDIT: Yep, i'm right

Quote:
David Verdi, an NBC News vice president, added, “The military had said, ‘You are the ones who are going to broadcast it first.’”

Old 08-19-2010, 10:23 AM

720 posts, read 691,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
As I understand it, it was a one way collusion with MSNBC as the sole media outlet invited to document the live exit. In fact, Olbermann and Maddow repeatedly trumpeted this fact during the broadcast.

Is this true? I don't feel like looking it up...

Old 08-19-2010, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanothermanger View Post
Is this true? I don't feel like looking it up...
lol..yep..it's true. Straight from the horses mouth.

Quote:
David Verdi, an NBC News vice president, added, “The military had said, ‘You are the ones who are going to broadcast it first.’”

Old 08-19-2010, 10:24 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,125,541 times
Quote:

As it should have been, being that these commentators were the ones that never stopped talking about Iraq and all of the death and destruction that it caused. While Fox was acting like the reality show that it is and other news medias were more interested in movie star gossip, these people never lost sight of or dropped the ball.

Old 08-19-2010, 10:29 AM

720 posts, read 691,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
As it should have been, being that these commentators were the ones that never stopped talking about Iraq and all of the death and destruction that it caused. While Fox was acting like the reality show that it is and other news medias were more interested in movie star gossip, these people never lost sight of or dropped the ball.
OH yeah, these "commentators" are not in the least biased like fox ...right? Common sense dictates otherwise and the old debate about who gives unbiased news is just that old, because they ALL DO!!!!!!!!

Old 08-19-2010, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
I find your reasoning to be full of irony. MSNBC commentators have generally held disgust for this war. Using your rationale, it would seem that the military considered this disgust a selling point for choosing MSNBC. Do you really think that was the reason? Or is that the reason that sounds good to you?

Old 08-19-2010, 10:43 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times
Quote:

It was initiated by NBC, not MSNBC, though both networks did have correspondents 'on the ground.' While there were other embedded reporters traveling with the troops, NBC is/was apparently the only network with the capabilities to broadcast live in transit.
Now, one can (and several have) suggested 'collusion' on the part of NBC, the WH and the military, however, the actual evolution of this seems to have been a little less 'strategic.'

"So how did NBC News get such incredible access and network bragging rights? Well, they asked."

Pentagon says ‘no favoritism’ toward NBC in coverage of Iraq withdrawal - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_upshot/20100819/pl_yblog_upshot/pentagon-says-no-favoritism-toward-nbc-in-coverage-of-iraq-withdrawal - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies