Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2010, 01:52 PM

5,821 posts, read 5,303,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isitmeorarethingsnuts? View Post
Are you being paid by ACORN or a public entity? Am I paying you to post?
I am trying to bring a little levity to this thread, what are you implying?

"Obviously nothing can change if everyone holds on to their ill conceived ideas. It hurts the situation...not helps. We can all find fault in those around us but we can only change what is inside of us."

On the other hand, that is a great statement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2010, 02:00 PM

13,648 posts, read 20,777,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
Your attempts to "serve" me are ridiculous. I made my claim (in answer to the claim that blacks tout MLK...a claim that has yet to be supported in any capacity). I supported it by stating that the "many" include the thousands that are in the Aryan Brotherhood and the thousands of skinheads. That wasn't good enough.. though you agree that these groups do in fact tout Hitler, now you want exact numbers. Pathetic and SUPER lame. Why am I not surprised?

Let the record reflect: that some people make me laugh.
I thought you were busy at work and had to leave the thread?

And what kind of a person compares MLK to Hitler?

Old 08-20-2010, 02:02 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,707,171 times
Now watch as whites suddenly loose interest in the topic now that I have provided links to STUDIES and RESEARCH. Instead of addressing these findings......they would simply end the debate. If they dare to address the findings....its to try and discredit them....in favor of their own sampling methodology....which is seeing how many false claims hits the news.

Old 08-20-2010, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Now watch as whites suddenly loose interest in the topic now that I have provided links to STUDIES and RESEARCH. Instead of addressing these findings......they would simply end the debate. If they dare to address the findings....its to try and discredit them....in favor of their own sampling methodology....which is seeing how many false claims hits the news.
You ignored everything I threw your way or changed the subject. I am mystified that anyone would feel the need to offer you the same courtesy.

Old 08-20-2010, 02:08 PM

4,520 posts, read 4,209,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
I thought you were busy at work and had to leave the thread?
Nope...sorry I'm here....and your attempts to divert will continue to be thwarted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
And what kind of a person compares MLK to Hitler?
Ahhhhh...new tactic. LOL...nice try. I was not comparing the character of both men. A poster stated that many touted MLK, yet didn't know much about him. I said many honor Hitler and don't know much about him. But I think you know what you're doing....trying to confuse the point. Pathetic.

Old 08-20-2010, 02:08 PM

3,204 posts, read 2,868,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
I was referring to posters not wanting to admit the connotations of the colors "black" and "white" and how one is more associated with evil and the other with goodness and purity. The other truth was my mention of RESEARCH studies and findings that whites reject.

Study suggests bias against 'black' names on resumes | HR Magazine | Find Articles at BNET
Environmental Racism Study Finds Levels Of Inequality Defy Simple Explanation
Study: Racist Attitudes Are Still Ingrained - TIME
You may be more racist than you think, study says - CNN.com
Racism still blights southern US juries: study | Raw Story
Even Racism Is Biased In White People, Says Study - Prejudice Is Distributed Unequally

I can go on and on with these studies as they are very prevelent for anyone who seek KNOWLEGE from a source other than HEADLINE media news.
Did you even bother to read these. Two are stories about the same study, one comes to the conclusion there is no inequality, and they are ALL stories about studies.

You claim that others are basing their assumptions on headlines and then you bring up STORIES about studies. There is a difference. This is not KNOWLEDGE. It's opinion.

Last edited by Isitmeorarethingsnuts?; 08-20-2010 at 02:12 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 08-20-2010, 02:17 PM

3,204 posts, read 2,868,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy5 View Post
I am trying to bring a little levity to this thread, what are you implying?

"Obviously nothing can change if everyone holds on to their ill conceived ideas. It hurts the situation...not helps. We can all find fault in those around us but we can only change what is inside of us."

On the other hand, that is a great statement.
Sorry wrong quote. I tried to appologize earlier but it didn't come up on the thread. My bad

Old 08-20-2010, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isitmeorarethingsnuts? View Post
Did you even bother to read these. Two are stories about the same study, one comes to the conclusion there is no inequality, and they are ALL stories about studies.

You claim that others are basing their assumptions on headlines and then you bring up STORIES about studies. There is a difference. This is not KNOWLEDGE. It's opinion.
I simply did a quick google. The first study you ignored. That was the studied by Harvard and MIT that showed discrimination against blacks via resume names. Now ask yourself this question.....why did you not address those findings? Again....the inability to even deal with or accept scholarly research....as if you have a superior methodology to refute those findings. Please share that methodology with me?

Old 08-20-2010, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
Nope...sorry I'm here....and your attempts to divert will continue to be thwarted.

Ahhhhh...new tactic. LOL...nice try. I was not comparing the character of both men. A poster stated that many touted MLK, yet didn't know much about him. I said many honor Hitler and don't know much about him. But I think you know what you're doing....trying to confuse the point. Pathetic.
No, not a new tactic. I am relieved you do not put both men in the same boat. Stand down red alert.

So then and again. I posited that many (not all, its never all) black youth disdain education. This is sadly true (do not think I like that). And I used knowledge of MLK as an example. Sorry, but rare is the black person who has more than a fairy tale notion of who the (great) man was. They know they are supposed to like him, but are sadly short on specifics. Educated black people are obviously a different story, but they are not my concern.

You then came up with your statement about whites and Hitler and after immense pressure, clarified (sort of) that you meant the Aryan Nation and the like and that there are "thousands."

Well...ok. That is true. There are such people (just as there are Nation of Islam adherents, Black Panters, Sons of Yahwe and other cranks). Despicable though they are, they are not a significant portion of the white population anymore than the NOI represents a significant portion of black folks. I think we can agree on that.

So my final question is simply, what of them? What was the point? I do not see the relevance.

Old 08-20-2010, 02:22 PM

Yet another study finds that racial discrimination is alive and well in the hiring process, and it's keeping black men in metro Milwaukee on the unemployment rolls.

The study offers this fictional scenario:

A young, white, male high school graduate with a felony conviction applies in person for entry level jobs as a driver, a dishwasher, a laborer, warehouse worker and production worker that are advertised in the newspaper and admits to employers that he served 18 months in prison for possession of cocaine with intent to sell.

A young black man with similar education, work history and style of presentation, but with no criminal record, applies for the same jobs.

Who do you think is more likely to be called back?

If you picked the white man with the felony conviction, you guessed right.

This study offers evidence that discrimination remains a major factor in the economic lives of black men, and highlights the fear and misunderstanding of black males that permeate the local job market.

Devah Pager, a sociologist at Northwestern University in Evanston, Ill., sent equally matched pairs of testers - two black and two white - to apply for low-skilled jobs at 350 places of employment in the Milwaukee area and found that white ex-offenders were more likely to be called back for an interview than black applicants who had no criminal record.

Students test employers

In this detailed study, bright, articulate, college students posed as job applicants. Even though the results were strikingly close, black men without criminal records were called back only 14% of the time, while whites with criminal records were called back 17% of the time.

The study, titled "The Mark of a Criminal Record," was conducted in Milwaukee between June and December 2001, and the results were released last month.

"It shows there's a great deal of work that has to be done in the education of employers and working on attitudes," says Julia Taylor, president of the Greater Milwaukee Committee. "This type of racial disparity in employment practices really impacts us as a region. It impacts our work force, and it really impacts how the inner-city moves forward."

Pager chose Milwaukee for her experiment because it is representative of most large metropolitan areas in its size, racial demographics and industrial base, she says.

The study's findings would surprise few African-Americans in this city, who know from experience that this kind of discrimination exists in the job market. Research shows that white Americans, however, have been led to think that direct, racial discrimination of this nature has become less of a problem in our society.

It was even surprising to Pager, a young white woman.

"I expected that there would be an effect of race. I thought the effect of a criminal record would swamp other effects," Pager says. "That assumption was clearly wrong. It really suggests that stereotypes and assumptions about black males are very much a factor in hiring decisions."

Facing tougher odds

The study demonstrates the increased odds black male ex-offenders face in finding employment and successfully reintegrating into the economic mainstream, says Lenard Wells, chairman of the Milwaukee Parole Commission and a former Milwaukee police officer.

"It's as if there's a concerted effort to keep black men from getting employment, to keep them oppressed," says Wells, former president of the League of Martin, an organization of black Milwaukee police officers.

"We say we want to reintegrate individuals into the community. We say that we want to do something about unemployment in the black community, yet we want to pretend that it's a criminal record that prevents blacks from getting jobs. It's blatant, undisputed, racism," he says.

Combine the effects of race and a criminal record, and the problem becomes worse. For instance, only 5% of black men with criminal records received callbacks from employers, the study found.

White men without criminal records fared the best in the Milwaukee-area job market, with 34% receiving callbacks from employers.

Keep in mind that it's illegal to discriminate against applicants with criminal records unless the circumstances of the crime correspond closely to the requirements of the job, says Phoebe Weaver Williams, an associate professor of law at Marquette University who specializes in employment discrimination.

"What's frustrating is that, after so many years of having laws in place, the laws haven't corrected the problem," Weaver Williams says.

Clearly, the study's findings demonstrate that a criminal record closes doors on employment.

Still, employers are averse to taking risks on black applicants, whom they perceive to have criminal tendencies, the study says. For example, black testers were more likely to be asked by employers whether they had any convictions, yet none of the white testers were asked about their criminal histories up front.

Image problems

A couple of factors that work against young black men is their portrayal in the media as gangsters, thugs and rappers on the fringes of society, and the fact that more black men are going to prison than college, according to a report by the U.S. Justice Department.

The sad reality is that the majority of those inmates will be released back into communities where they have little opportunity to obtain legitimate work. Research shows that one of the factors for recidivism is employment.

Black felons face a hostile job market in Milwaukee, says Wendell Hruska, associate director of Project Return, a Milwaukee agency that helps felons and people convicted of misdemeanors find employment.

"Discrimination is very much a problem. That's what we've been hearing from our clients," Hruska says. "A lot of people get discouraged. Unfortunately, many of them give up. You really can't blame people when you've been out there for months putting in applications and you hear nothing back."

This research helps us measure the degree of discrimination that exists in the hiring process.

But the question remains: How do we attack a problem that so affects the economic lives of black men in Milwaukee, where many employers still make hiring decisions colored by fear and misunderstanding?

Study Shows How Deeply Black Men Face Discrimination In Hiring

These type of studies are there for anyone who wants to base their opinion on actual RESEARCH and data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies