Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 03:05 PM

3,576 posts, read 10,629,915 times

Advertisements

OK. I'll give it a try. This is my definition, not something out of a dictionary.

To me, a racist is someone who, by direct action, causes harm or suffering to another person, or persons, and who's thoughts or actions are based solely on a hatred of the color of the other person's skin. That would include, for example, not hiring someone, firing someone, intentionally excluding someone, hurting someone (i.e. hate crime), preventing access to something, or extending preferential treatment to one race over another.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2010, 03:06 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,346,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
Shows you how much I know about stereotypes, some one using the word when explaining that another person uses it, is not racist either.
Did I say that it was?

Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
Shows you how much I know about stereotypes, the black folk in my family try to avoid them. some one using the word when explaining that another person uses it, is not racist either.
Oh damn you played the black card so I guess now I have to leave you alone.

Old 08-19-2010, 03:07 PM

17,290 posts, read 29,352,134 times
Umm... am I experiencing dejavu? Or has this same basic thread already been done? I think by the same OP? Like a month ago?

Old 08-19-2010, 03:09 PM

3,562 posts, read 5,214,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
Damn! I threw mine away. Will the one from the cracker jack box work?
Wait....can't breathe.

Those ones are a little hard to come by. In my experience, people are more likely to find a drivers license. But, if you can find one, it will probably work even better.

Old 08-19-2010, 03:13 PM

5,821 posts, read 5,294,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
buddy5, it was an attempt at using humor to show how out of control both the accusations and the perceptions of "racism" are in today's political climate. Did you read back through the posts of the person to whom I was responding?

Seriously as a society we need to stop focusing on reasons to find offense in any and every little thing written or said. Nothing productive comes of it. Hyphenated population identifiers divide this country when we should be coming together to face and solve our very, very serious problems.

Is that a yes or a no? Can black folks be racists?

It is a legitimate question.

Old 08-19-2010, 03:15 PM

Default Can Black folks be racists?

Sorry, double post.

Old 08-19-2010, 03:17 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,859,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy5 View Post
Is that a yes or a no? Can black folks be racists?

It is a legitimate question.
I ask legitimate questions all the time that do not get answered. If you don't like what I have posted in this thread that is your perogative. I however will not be baited. I believe in your heart you know the answer to your question as well as do I. Buh bye.....

Old 08-19-2010, 03:18 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,084,400 times
Easy: Dr. Laura is not a racist because the context of words were not harmful or racist.

You really aren't able to discern what's racist and what's not are you?

I'd suggest getting help outside this forum if I were you. Your inner issues are deeper than you think they are.

Old 08-19-2010, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Easy: Dr. Laura is not a racist because the context of words were not harmful or racist.

You really aren't able to discern what's racist and what's not are you?

I'd suggest getting help outside this forum if I were you. Your inner issues are deeper than you think they are.

I was sitting in a restaurant, waiting on my order, in a small Southern town in 1971. A Black man came to the back door and ordered his food. A while later they brought it to him. I asked the waitress why he was at the back door, and she said @#$%^&* aren't allowed in the restaurant.

That is racism.

I have seen white and colored water fountains, at the Sears store. Restrooms the same way.

Old 08-19-2010, 03:27 PM

3,393 posts, read 4,003,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
We live in an era were racism carries a negative social stigma. To be seen as a racist is to be seen as “evil” and “ugly”. It carries a social stigma and social and career penalty if discovered to be practiced. Hence, it’s obvious that “racist” is not how a person will self describe their beliefs or feelings….because they do not want to be socially stigmatized or jeopardize their careers having those beliefs and or behaviors exposed. In fact, for the same reason that people have trouble admitting to themselves that they are alcoholic…….people have a disincentive to recognize their own racism….because no one wants to see themselves as a social degenerate. Thus, not only are people hiding things from others, but also from themselves.

When black folk say that someone is a racist or that something is racism, some people are quick to jump in to refute the claim. Some people say that black folks are “playing the race card”, which implies that racism really is not a valid claim. Yet, we all know that racism and racist do exist. Hence, if white folks are qualified to tell us who are not a racist, for example, Dr. Laura, then white folks MUST have a means of discerning whites who are racist from those who are not racist, even if they have never personally met the person. Hence, I would like to know and I would like white folks to teach me and other black folk how you discern and identify those who are racist and not racist when racist are making conscious efforts to avoid epithets and language that is blatantly or overtly racist.
Personally, I try to give people the benefit of the doubt. After all, is it really possible to see into someone's heart and know their thoughts?

Anything else stinks too much of a modern-day McCarthyism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies