Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2010, 09:10 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,700,705 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
LOL...I agree about the overreaction on your coworker's part.....but I have always found it interesting that most things termed "black" were evil, intimidating, scary, etc............
Precisely! Black, as a color, is associated with evil and white as a color is associated with purity and goodness. Hence, subliminally, what is the impact on the perception of “black peoples” or even “Dark peoples”? Do you remember the doll test done on 4 and 5 year old black kids who associated white dolls with “goodness” and “beauty” while associating black dolls as “the bad doll….and ugly”? That is part of the subliminal impact of “being black…or Dark” in a culture and society that associates the color “black” with things that are bad and the color “white” with things that are good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2010, 09:11 AM

4,520 posts, read 4,207,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Probably because the OP is known for loaded questions and for ignoring people who actually do answer. And its obnoxious- "white folks teach me." What is that? He is not interested in anybody teaching him anything. Nor are you. He wants to start a fire and you want to fan the flames. I love your examples- stares. Yea sure, its always stares. OMG! Stares!
Doesn't matter what you perceive to be the OP's "hidden agenda". It's an honest question; this could have been a very enlightening and interesting conversation if some people would just be honest. It's sad that you assume I want to fan the flames rather than learn about another person's perspective. Why are you so defensive?

BTW, I didn't say only stares....there was other behavior. Also, let's pretend it was just stares.......If you're the only race in a totally alien environment getting *hostile* stares, you wouldn't feel uncomfortable? If not, perhaps enroll in some sort of self-preservation course?

Quote:
And perhaps because a great many claims of racism these days are bunk. They are the result of a strategy that plays up the role of victim- the race card. Consequently, a great many of us are just tired of the whole business. The fact that we have a black man as President makes it all the more absurd.
Interesting how you say many claims of racism are "bunk", yet you've failed to provide insight into what *would* be a valid claim. I'm not surprised. BTW, Obama being POTUS does not automatically change the hearts and mindsets of racist people....if anything, it's probably further inflamed their ire.

Quote:
The fact of the matter is there is no mass measure by whites against blacks. When black people are harmed, it is almost always by other black people. It is not white people shooting blacks dead and causing other aspects that is the dystopia known as black urban America. (Good Grief! The Crips and the Bloods have probably killed more black people than the Klan ever did.) It is not white people tricking black kids into disdaining education and thus getting nothing out of school. It is not white people forcing black men to have 5 kids from 5 different women.
You're speaking about dysfunction that happens based on a *class* level. Are successful and economically sound black people shooting each other, disdaining education and having multiple out of wedlock children? Do you assume all black people have a ghetto mentality? That's absurd. About the same as me assuming that all whites have a trailer park/"white trash"/redneck mentality.

BTW, blacks don't hold a monopoly on gangs. They exist in every race/nationality.

Quote:
I suppose we are through takeing responsibility for your lack of responsibility.
We....what have you done to "take responsibility" for a black person's irresponsibility?

Old 08-20-2010, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
Well what you have is an op who really isnt looking to understand, what he is doing is trying to educate the white folk...........some folks are stuck with a mind set that does not allow them to move beyond.....as I said in a previous post some times we have to look at ourselves and ask what are we doing.
So you assume the worst? If you are presented with someone who expresses a desire to learn, you meet that with suspicion? IMO, that sets up a scenario that can only have negative results. Why not respond honestly and hope for the best? Why the immediate defensive stance?

Old 08-20-2010, 09:14 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,700,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
Well what you have is an op who really isnt looking to understand, what he is doing is trying to educate the white folk...........some folks are stuck with a mind set that does not allow them to move beyond.....as I said in a previous post some times we have to look at ourselves and ask what are we doing.
Yes...just like the caller to the Dr Laura show. She was not sincere....she was just "race baiting". She did not really call for advise....but simply to create division.

Old 08-20-2010, 09:19 AM

720 posts, read 690,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Precisely! Black, as a color, is associated with evil and white as a color is associated with purity and goodness.
Uh, my favorite color is black..and I am being very serious here! and I think that the "white purity crap" is just that CRAP. I didn't were white at my wedding and have a closet full of black clothes.....Next argument!

Old 08-20-2010, 09:21 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,767,629 times
Quote:
It's an honest question;
No, the question is both loaded as well as condescending. The answer was honest.

Quote:
this could have been a very enlightening and interesting conversation if some people would just be honest.
I was honest. To repeat my honesty: I think you are your own worst enemy. I think your claims are quite laughable, mostly pathetic, possibly fabricated, and rarely stand up to any serious scrutiny.

But of course there are "the stares." Scuse me, "hostile stares." Yea sure. Real Bull Connor type stuff, those stares.

Old 08-20-2010, 09:23 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,914,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Yes...just like the caller to the Dr Laura show. She was not sincere....she was just "race baiting". She did not really call for advise....but simply to create division.
Is that what happened? I haven't listened to an entire Dr. Laura show in a very long time. I'm suspect of mere clips and their ablity to reflect context in its entirety. Did you listen to the show in its entirety?

Old 08-20-2010, 09:23 AM

3,393 posts, read 4,009,421 times
[quote=Indentured Servant;15546829]So racism is hate based? What if a person does not hate black people and in fact get along fine with black people......but just believes that black people are lazy and irresponsible. Thus, say this person gets to make decisions on who to hire and not and a black, white and Hispanic apply for a job. The fact that this person believes that blacks are generally more lazy and irresponsible than hispanics, whites (or asians) can cause the black person to not have equal opportunity.
quote]

This reminds me of my sister. She does hiring for a major corporation. She admitted to me privately that she engages in bias in hiring - against WHITE people (she's white too!). She said they act lazy and privileged and she always hires hispanics when she can.

So, the question is, is this racism against whites? And can a white person be racist against their own kind?

Old 08-20-2010, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanothermanger View Post
Uh, my favorite color is black..and I am being very serious here! and I think that the "white purity crap" is just that CRAP. I didn't were white at my wedding and have a closet full of black clothes.....Next argument!
While you may love the color black (me too!), do you at least acknowledge that the connotation in terms labeled black (evil, sinister, bad, etc) vs white (pure, clean, wholesome) exist?

Old 08-20-2010, 09:25 AM

9,888 posts, read 10,818,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
So you assume the worst? If you are presented with someone who expresses a desire to learn, you meet that with suspicion? IMO, that sets up a scenario that can only have negative results. Why not respond honestly and hope for the best? Why the immediate defensive stance?
I dont have to assume I am reading the op own words and responses............I responded very honestly, one wonders why the op didn't not answer this response ... ..............This is all very interesting.........how do you feel about that color blind society that Dr King spoke about? What I am seeing and hearing from you is a whole lot of one sided finger pointing and blame aimed at white folk. Do you think at some point you need to look at your own self and perhaps ask what am I and other blacks doing if anything to perpetuate this ongoing racial divide? You see I believe that there are a whole lot of white folk out there that have been accused of being racists and bigot when in reality they don't have a problem with skin color what they have a problem with is the attitude such as yours , which is the burden is on them to prove they are not racist, and the way they do that is to jump through the hoops you say they need to jump through.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies