U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-21-2010, 07:54 AM

5,412 posts, read 1,176,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskydude View Post
Even still .. calling it a "pre-owned car" will never change the fact that it is still a "used car" ...

Bathroom tissue will still always be "toilet paper" ..
Mobile homes will still always be "trailer houses" ..

and the list goes on ..

Changing the word to describe something won't ever change what it truly already is ..

A bag of poop is still a bag of poop .. regardless of what color the bag is, or what other name you wish to call it ..
actually toilet paper was already a "pc" term, substitute for a** wipe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2010, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauiwowie View Post
Do you know the history of those deemed unworthy? Those with cognitive and sometimes physical disabilities often have no one fighting for them. For years there was forced sterilization. You are either clueless or do not care.

I try to be PC. All that means to me is that I treat people with respect and when I learn that something is offensive or bothers someone I stop doing it.

To me politically incorrect is just a PC way of saying a@*hole.
If you truly believed in what you said, you couldn't even speak because EVERYTHING offends somebody. But the PC types only care about the sensitivities of certain people.

I cannot stand when people say "happy holidays" instead of "merry christmas" despite me being Jewish, because all I know is their intentions were good if they say merry christmas. They aren't trying to offend anyone, yet the PC brigade went against that, and now I find "happy holidays" offensive to me because society deems that I would be offended by the word "christmas"

Old 08-21-2010, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
I hear a lot of right-wing people accusing left-wing people of buying into political correctness, but I also know a lot of left-wing people who, just like many right-wingers, think being PC anywhere from slightly overrated to complete bull. So is it really a left vs. right thing or is it one of the many things right-wingers accuse left-wingers of doing?
While I agree with you, the reality is that the engine of political correctness is with the left.

Old 08-21-2010, 08:06 AM

3,681 posts, read 2,088,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Used in a sentence: The Obama administration has retarded the growth of the American economy.

Surely, no one would object to it being used that way...except maybe for the administration.

It means slow. Examples: You could be developmentally retarded. You could be socially retarded. You could be mentally retarded. Or, the growth of the economy could be retarded. There is nothing wrong with the word in my opinion. It's a descriptive condition that could be applied to anything slowed.

It's when it's hurled that it becomes insulting.
Well stated. Only ignorant people would agree with banning a word that has been in medical literature for ages. It makes me think those who want it banned have only heard it used in a derogatory manner, maybe in the school yard? If they would educate themselves before they speak it would serve them well.

Old 08-21-2010, 08:11 AM

3,805 posts, read 1,874,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by betamanlet View Post
actually toilet paper was already a "pc" term, substitute for a** wipe
um .. no .. in the beginning, they called it the Sears Catalog ..

Old 08-21-2010, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
Sticks and stones may break my bones
But words can break my heart.

It's the people who spend their time and energy in an effort to make another person feel powerless, stupid, or ugly who will never understand. They will use a dictionary definition of a word to excuse their use of it as a bludgeon. Just read this board, and you will see countless examples of it. We, as a society, will never be able to stop the mean-spirited among us.

Not that anyone's trying to ban the word "retarded", for heaven's sake.
Words can break your heart IF YOU ALLOW THEM TO..

So the people hearing these words BELIEVE them, that's THEIR problem. They need to work on that.

Old 08-21-2010, 08:12 AM

2,031 posts, read 1,255,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskydude View Post
Even still .. calling it a "pre-owned car" will never change the fact that it is still a "used car" ...

Bathroom tissue will still always be "toilet paper" ..
Mobile homes will still always be "trailer houses" ..

and the list goes on ..

Changing the word to describe something won't ever change what it truly already is ..

A bag of poop is still a bag of poop .. regardless of what color the bag is, or what other name you wish to call it ..
Does it bother you that states use terms like 'human waste' and 'fecal matter' in statutes and regulations rather than 'poop'?

Old 08-21-2010, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
seems jennifer anniston stepped in it as well.....here is what the special olympics statement about the word.

"Special Olympics is always disappointed when the R-word is used, especially by someone who is influential to society. The pervasive use of the R-word, even in an off the cuff self-deprecating manner, dehumanizes people with intellectual disabilities and perpetuates painful stereotypes that are a great source of suffering and negative stigma ... We hope everyone will take our pledge to stop using the R-word and promote the inclusion and acceptance of people with intellectual disabilities at www.r-word.org."
Does not using the word mentally retarded make people any less mentally retarded?

This is just proof that the PC brigade is afraid of truth.

Old 08-21-2010, 08:14 AM

3,805 posts, read 1,874,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyageur View Post
Does it bother you that states use terms like 'human waste' and 'fecal matter' in statutes and regulations rather than 'poop'?
um .. nope .. it is, what it is .. we already all know this.

Although it would be somewhat interesting to see the word "poop" written into some of those statutes ..

(it might make reading the rules a bit more fun)

Old 08-21-2010, 08:15 AM

3,681 posts, read 2,088,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
The very idea that it's necessary to legislate against a word is...retarded.

(It's OK--I don't live in New Jersey so I'm not subject to their law!)
Bravo!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies