Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2010, 10:23 PM

2,126 posts, read 2,374,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
I love it.

It is simply another word to describe a range of IQs which has been "banned" by the fascitst word police to limit the ability of free men to communicate. Stalin would be proud, as he as entrenched the insanity of political correctness in our lexicon. Those who actually fear (I have no idea why someone would actually fear this) the derision of liberals have altered thier language such that they cannot express thier thoughts clearly any longer.

Range of IQs

Normal
Retard
Imbecile
Moron
Idiot

I guess the left would like to prohibit any speech, as free speech inhibits the perpetuation of fascism, which is basic modern liberalism. Better to ban words, and burn books, as that is always a good thing for the fascist.

Wake up. Read history. Don't be afraid of the scorn of a liberal,as it is equivilent to a scowl from a spoiled toddler. Most do not make decision regarding the sentiments of toddlers.
Perhaps I misunderstand your entire post, as well as veer off the OP, bt even right leaners use the word retarded in a derogatory way. At the end of the day, its actally not an issue of right vs. left.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2010, 10:29 PM

13,620 posts, read 12,683,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by betamanlet View Post
FOXNews.com - Opponents of R-Word Win Key Legislative Victory in New Jersey

Mentally challenged, that could describe someone with schizophrenia, or someone with very low IQ. PC nuts are afraid of specificity.

the new term is>> tards. we have a lot of them in congress

Old 08-20-2010, 10:35 PM

29,936 posts, read 18,498,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadScribe View Post
Perhaps I misunderstand your entire post, as well as veer off the OP, bt even right leaners use the word retarded in a derogatory way. At the end of the day, its actally not an issue of right vs. left.

Actually, it is. This is political correctness at its finest. The concept seeks to villify certain words and phrases in order to simplify the language. The goal is to limit the ability of the populace to express complex thoughts like "freedom", "liberty", and "justice". What remains is the "newspeak" of 1984, in which opposition cannot express or formulate coherent objections to totalitarian policy- it is simply "double plus ungood".

Wake up. You have been sold a bill of goods by the priniciples of liberalism, Stalinisim, and political correctness. Live free and think.

Liberalism = Fascism

Old 08-20-2010, 10:39 PM

13,677 posts, read 8,943,174 times
Thanks to..well, you know who you are....for your kind reputation posting.

I see that trying to articulate anything thoughtful on this forum is a waste of time. I might as well have written: "Retard!..heh...heh...heh...heh..!"

Old 08-20-2010, 11:11 PM

2,673 posts, read 3,235,676 times
This is one more thing that has been turned into a right vs. left argument. So, I find this funny. Below is an excerpt that Sarah Palin wrote on her facebook back in February.

Quote:
The Obama Administration’s Chief of Staff scolded participants, calling them, “F---ing retarded,†according to several participants, as reported in the Wall Street Journal.

Just as we’d be appalled if any public figure of Rahm’s stature ever used the “N-word†or other such inappropriate language, Rahm’s slur on all God’s children with cognitive and developmental disabilities – and the people who love them – is unacceptable, and it’s heartbreaking.

A patriot in North Andover, Massachusetts, notified me of Rahm’s “retarded†slam. I join this gentleman, who is the father of a beautiful child born with Down Syndrome, in asking why the Special Olympics, National Down Syndrome Society and other groups condemning Rahm’s degrading scolding have been completely ignored by the White House. No comment from his boss, the president?

As my friend in North Andover says, “This isn’t about politics; it’s about decency. I am not speaking as a political figure but as a parent and as an everyday American wanting my child to grow up in a country free from mindless prejudice and discrimination, free from gratuitous insults of people who are ostensibly smart enough to know better... Have you no sense of decency, sir?â€

Mr. President, you can do better, and our country deserves better.
Way to go, you moma grizzly....defend your son!!

But wait! The queen of wingnuts has more to say at a Fox (who would've guessed Fox??)

Quote:
On Chief-of-Staff Rahm Emanuel, she said his comments calling liberal groups "f-ing retards" was "indecent and insensitive" and cause for his dismissal.
But the former governor went to great and sometimes awkward lengths to insist that when conservative talk show host Rush Limbaugh used the same exact term to describe the same exact group, it was simply in the role of political humorist.
"They are kooks, so I agree with Rush Limbaugh," she said, when read a quote of Limbaugh calling liberal groups "retards." "Rush Limbaugh was using satire ... . I didn't hear Rush Limbaugh calling a group of people whom he did not agree with 'f-ing retards,' and we did know that Rahm Emanuel, as has been reported, did say that. There is a big difference there."
I guess mama grizzly is more of a mouse when it comes to fat, bald, ugly, grotesque men. I find her flip-flop funny.

Old 08-20-2010, 11:37 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,415,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Actually, it is. This is political correctness at its finest. The concept seeks to villify certain words and phrases in order to simplify the language. The goal is to limit the ability of the populace to express complex thoughts like "freedom", "liberty", and "justice". What remains is the "newspeak" of 1984, in which opposition cannot express or formulate coherent objections to totalitarian policy- it is simply "double plus ungood".

Wake up. You have been sold a bill of goods by the priniciples of liberalism, Stalinisim, and political correctness. Live free and think.

Liberalism = Fascism
I hear a lot of right-wing people accusing left-wing people of buying into political correctness, but I also know a lot of left-wing people who, just like many right-wingers, think being PC anywhere from slightly overrated to complete bull. So is it really a left vs. right thing or is it one of the many things right-wingers accuse left-wingers of doing?

Old 08-20-2010, 11:42 PM

2,883 posts, read 5,868,815 times
Even the phrase "feeble minded" is bad. The fox news article says that is an outdated term.

It's gone way overboard. You should be able to draw a very clear line between offensive words...the n word, george carlins dirty words, etc. *Everyone* would agree that those are bad.

A word like "Retard", isnt that said on the Simpsons? Or implied. A lot of words like that are said in a comedic manner. The pc police takes them more seriously than they were originally intended.

These new pc words are ambiguous, certainly by decision. Designed to limit your thinking capacity."Intellectual disability" and "Developmental disability." Those could mean anything.

Its funny, with this trend in political correctness, I never once heard about in in k-12. Or what the implications could be of limiting ones word choices. Isn't that an important thing to talk about, to students? I guess its not politically correct to talk about political correctness in schools

Pretty soon you won't be able to say stupid or moron, they will offend someone. Scary, the unguarded power a small minority can have in this country.

Old 08-20-2010, 11:44 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,242,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Nothing that you can say would bother me. Don't you remember that old childhood saying..."sticks and stones may break my bones but names will never hurt me?" It's true, people have to stop being pansies.
Sticks and stones may break my bones
But words can break my heart.

It's the people who spend their time and energy in an effort to make another person feel powerless, stupid, or ugly who will never understand. They will use a dictionary definition of a word to excuse their use of it as a bludgeon. Just read this board, and you will see countless examples of it. We, as a society, will never be able to stop the mean-spirited among us.

Not that anyone's trying to ban the word "retarded", for heaven's sake.

Old 08-20-2010, 11:47 PM

2,126 posts, read 2,374,022 times
Hey, I felt like a RETARD today!!!!!!! And it felt good!!!!!!!!

Old 08-20-2010, 11:55 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,415,976 times
So many people still don't get it. Both people who are pro-PC and anti-PC. It's not just about the word. It's about how it's said. The context it's said in. Words are alive. The intent behind the word, the speaker, the audience, the context, the time, the way the same word is said can make the very same word anything from benign to inflammatory. Take a word, any word and you can bend it and stretch it to mean any number of things.

Take for example a word, whose dictionary meaning is nothing but positive.

Quote:
sir |sər| (also Sir)
noun
used as a polite or respectful way of addressing a man, esp. one in a position of authority : excuse me, sir.
• used to address a man at the beginning of a formal or business letter : Dear Sir.
• (in Britain) used as a title before the given name of a knight or baronet.
• another expression for siree .
ORIGIN Middle English : reduced form of sire .
Something like "sir you dropped your hat" can be from one person on the street to another, both equals in that situation, very polite and kind.

"I'll have that for you shortly sir" said from an employee to their boss is a marker of respect, and indicates a hierarchy that is present.

Said sarcastically like "yes sir!" from a friend to another can be comical. Said from a student to a teacher can be very disrespectful.

"Yes sir" said from a black person to a white man during segregation times can be racist because its intent was to ingrain even in language that whites were considered above blacks.

Even more so during actual slavery times from a slave to a master.

Said from a parent to a toddler can be to get one's children in the habit of using the term.

Said to a woman can be attempt to insult her womanhood.

Obviously when said from one stranger to another it's not meant in the racist sense that it was from a master to a slave, and obviously when said from a parent to a toddler isn't meant in the hierarchical sense of from an employee to a boss.

Words are entirely dependent on their context. Word boundaries are not set in stone. They are constantly shifting. The meaning is shaped by context. This is why words can't be banned because that same word, while the dictionary definition is identical in each case, has a very different social and psychological meaning in every instance.

This is why banning words doesn't work, and this is why giving tongue-in-cheek examples about how we can't even say our cell phone is retarded when it doesn't work is a moot point. Because both of those arguments ignore the inherent flexibility in words themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies