Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 08:04 AM

7,211 posts, read 9,410,185 times

Advertisements

Uh oh...looks like Palin's defense of Dr. Laura is causing some problems with black Republicans...all ten of them.

Quote:
Timothy Johnson, who as chairman of the Frederick Douglass Foundation works to get African-American Republican officials elected and increase the ranks of black members of the party, says that Sarah Palin needs to clarify her defense of Dr. Laura Schlessinger. He also says Republican National Committee Chairman Michael Steele needs to speak out against Palin.

------

“Sarah Palin is not the chair of the Republican party,” Johnson says. “She is a leading Republican, but from what I can tell many black Republicans don’t use Sarah Palin as a benchmark. I hope Chairman Steele comes out in relationship to this issue….You can support the sinner and not the sin. We need to separate respecting the doctor versus respecting what she says.”

“If she chooses to run for president in 2012, she is going to have to answer to black Republicans,” Johnson says of Palin.
Black Republican: Sarah Palin Doesn't Speak For Us - Beltway Beast - The Daily Beast (http://www.thedailybeast.com/beltway-beast/black-republican-sarah-palin-doesnt-speak-for-us/ - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2010, 08:06 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,833,055 times
Palin speaks for Palin. I don't think she ever pretended to speak for anyone else.

Old 08-20-2010, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Palin speaks for Palin. I don't think she ever pretended to speak for anyone else.
What do you mean? She's been going around the country backing Republican and teabagger candidates running in GOP primaries.

Palin is a Republican, she speaks for many Republicans..

Old 08-20-2010, 08:24 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,529,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
What do you mean? She's been going around the country backing Republican and teabagger candidates running in GOP primaries.

And her official position, appointed or elected, withing the party is????

All are free to express their ideas, even you. Does that make you an official of the democratic party?

After all, you do the same thing but the media doesn't seem to care what you think.

Old 08-20-2010, 08:25 AM

9,644 posts, read 9,824,250 times
Quote:

No Palin only speaks for herself. She can speak on behalf of others but her words are her words.
No one else is accountable for the words she speaks but her

Old 08-20-2010, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjay51 View Post
And her official position, appointed or elected, withing the party is????

All are free to express their ideas, even you. Does that make you an official of the democratic party?

After all, you do the same thing but the media doesn't seem to care what you think.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
No Palin only speaks for herself. She can speak on behalf of others but her words are her words.
No one else is accountable for the words she speaks but her
I see you're both trying to distance yourself from Palin's racist remarks. While at the same time trying to convince us that Palin doesn't speak for a large percentage of the Republican party.

And while I can understand why her remarks would cause such consternation among all but the most racist of Republicans...your excuses just won't wash

The hillbilly stepped in it...again

Old 08-20-2010, 08:50 AM

720 posts, read 689,349 times
Quote:

Very mature and non discriminatory there scooby! You do realize you had a good post until you resorted to your last sentence right?

Old 08-20-2010, 08:55 AM

Quote:

She speaks to people, she speaks at people, but I don't believe she speaks for other people. Do you understand the difference? Those to and at whom she speaks are not exclusively Republicans. Many are Independents and Democrats whom are fed up with our current administration and Congress.

Just because I may go to listen to a politician or pundent either running for office or speaking in support of a candidate does not mean those people speak for me. No one speaks for me, but me.

Old 08-20-2010, 08:58 AM

720 posts, read 689,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
She speaks to people, she speaks at people, but I don't believe she speaks FOR other people. Do you understand the difference?
Very well said...No one speaks FOR me......I do that just fine on my own and would never say "oh she speaks for me, or she stands for me...blah blah blah..." It's continued ignorance such as this(assuming) that ruins us!

Old 08-20-2010, 09:01 AM

Quote:
I see you're both trying to distance yourself from Palin's racist remarks. While at the same time trying to convince us that Palin doesn't speak for a large percentage of the Republican party.

And while I can understand why her remarks would cause such consternation among all but the most racist of Republicans...your excuses just won't wash

Who brought race into this?

Who is the hillbilly to whom you refer?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies