Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2010, 12:06 AM

1,179 posts, read 974,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
This is fascinating and I am really learning something. I just learned that Woodrow Wilson (D) said that segregation wouldn't really hurt people. I just learned that Eisenhower (R) wrote the civil rights bill, but the senate majority leader at the time (D) fought tooth and nail to have it stripped of it's power. I learned that Eisenhower (R) was the first president to appoint a black person as part of his cabinet. That same senate majority leader later became president; Lyndon Johnson (D). Fascinating.
"Learning" and Glenn Beck don't go together sorry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2010, 05:11 AM

6,193 posts, read 5,365,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
If I had a penny for every time I read a lame post by a deflecting lefty I would be a gazillionaire, I tell you.
No, you be a gazillionaire MINUS 92% (taxes ya know).

Old 08-21-2010, 06:04 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,846,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
I suppose in this day and age any time someone expresses an opinion about race they are considered racist. Race is a subject that really should not be discussed in public and most politicians have learned that (other than to say benign things.)

I read your link and find many of the remarks offensive, and many of them just opinions based on some pretty solid facts. For example, calling Obama "Halfafrican" is based on the fact that he is half African. That's not racist.
I think that when you are in a conversation and recognize racism being expressed, you should confront it. Discuss it and point out how wrong you feel it is. That is, of course, if you feel it is wrong.

Old 08-21-2010, 06:56 AM

7,605 posts, read 4,842,318 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid2001
One does not have to be an elected representative to be influential. Martin Luther King was not an elected official, and he has tremendous influence.
My favorite republican of all time.
Dr. King from "Where do we go from here?"

I want to say to you as I move to my conclusion, as we talk about "Where do we go from here?" that we must honestly face the fact that the movement must address itself to the question of restructuring the whole of American society. There are forty million poor people here, and one day we must ask the question, "Why are there forty million poor people in America?" And when you begin to ask that question, you are raising a question about the economic system, about a broader distribution of wealth. When you ask that question, you begin to question the capitalistic economy. And I'm simply saying that more and more, we've got to begin to ask questions about the whole society. We are called upon to help the discouraged beggars in life's marketplace. But one day we must come to see that an edifice which produces beggars needs restructuring. It means that questions must be raised. And you see, my friends, when you deal with this you begin to ask the question, "Who owns the oil?" You begin to ask the question, "Who owns the iron ore?" You begin to ask the question, "Why is it that people have to pay water bills in a world that's two-thirds water?"

If only more Republicans would act and talk like Dr. King.

Old 08-21-2010, 07:13 AM

17,343 posts, read 14,606,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feel The Love View Post
"Learning" and Glenn Beck don't go together sorry.
Have you ever watched an entire Glenn Beck episode?

Actually, let me direct this at every person in this thread who has said negative things about GB.

Honestly, have any of you watched an entire show? Not just clips, snips, and edited versions ... an entire show.

I bet not.

I'm sure you'll come up with some witty, caustic remark on why you wouldn't/couldn't/can't waste the time ...

Here's the thing: I'm not a GB die hard. And honestly, I didn't watch him until I heard the left consistantly mocking him. He's most definitely not what the msm - and posters here - say his is. But you wouldn't realize that until you educated yourself and actually WATCHED show.

Last edited by Chuckity; 08-21-2010 at 07:43 AM..

Old 08-21-2010, 07:50 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,846,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post

Actually, let me direct this at every person in this thread who has said negative things about GB.

Honestly, have any of you watched an entire show? Not just clips, snips, and edited versions ... an entire show.

I bet not.

I'm sure you'll come up with some witty, caustic remark on why you wouldn't/couldn't/can't waste the time ...

Here's the thing: I'm not a GB die hard. And honestly, I didn't watch him until I heard the left consistantly mocking him. He's most definitely not what the msm - and posters here - say his is. But you wouldn't realize that until you educated yourself and actually WATCHED show.
I watch his shows quite often. Comedic relief is useful in stressful times.

Old 08-21-2010, 08:27 AM

7,605 posts, read 4,842,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post

I bet not.

I watch Beck frequently, much to the irritation of people in my family. I watched all 3 days of his little mini-series on race relations in America.

It seems to me he is doing just what he accuses progressives of doing, which is to bend historical fact to fit a political and social agenda.

The part I find most irritating is his constant insinuation that the average person's ignorance of history is by design. Time and again surveys have shown that average Americans are ignorant of the history they were taught, much less the the history that is supposedly withheld from them. The material is out there, you just have to want to learn it and know it.

When you don't know it, you can easily be persuaded by people like Beck who pick and choose certain historical facts to spin a narrative to support their agenda.

Old 08-21-2010, 08:50 AM

11,291 posts, read 18,870,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian123 View Post
I thought Eisenhower Republicans were basically kicked out of the Party by Goldwater Republicans. Then the Eisenhowers eventually joined the Democrats.
Yes, though Ford was basically an "Eisenhower Republican". Now what few there are are in the Northeast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
I watch Beck frequently, much to the irritation of people in my family. I watched all 3 days of his little mini-series on race relations in America.

It seems to me he is doing just what he accuses progressives of doing, which is to bend historical fact to fit a political and social agenda.

The part I find most irritating is his constant insinuation that the average person's ignorance of history is by design. Time and again surveys have shown that average Americans are ignorant of the history they were taught, much less the the history that is supposedly withheld from them. The material is out there, you just have to want to learn it and know it.

When you don't know it, you can easily be persuaded by people like Beck who pick and choose certain historical facts to spin a narrative to support their agenda.
I couldn't have put it better myself. I don't watch Beck, but I can't stand him for this reason. I don't watch Maddow, etc. either, though she and her side don't spin quite as much/as often as Beck and Rush (though they still do it enough that I think they too are more opinion than news). This crap is destroying our country.

Last edited by 7 Wishes; 08-21-2010 at 08:59 AM..

Old 08-21-2010, 08:57 AM

17,343 posts, read 14,606,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
And, as has been pointed out already, GB's BS about the 1st Black Cabinet member, was appointed by Johnson, not Ike. Not that GB would worry about his marks bothering to verify what he's selling.
Just FYI ... the OP misspoke ... GB never said anything about a black cabinet member - what he said was that Eisenhower appointed the first black person to serve in the executive capacity in the White House.

The man was Frederick Morrow.

But I guess you must have missed his show yesterday.

Old 08-21-2010, 12:10 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,685,448 times
Quote:
Shouldn't you be calling someone an "Uncle Tom" right about now? Please refute what he said in todays episode, or do you just want to character assinate; me thinks the later is your m.o.
Nice play of the race card.

Quote:
I'd like for posters to discuss what was in the first post, progressive liberals where stalwart racists and separatists and republicans were civil rights leaders; or do you just wish to continue to deflect?
I did not have to watch Glenn Beck to learn the information in the OP. I learned it in school. Maybe our schools really are going downhill.

Quote:
Woodrow Wilson and Roosevelt are now "southern dems"; were you a revisionist history major? lol
Roosevelt? Both Roosevelts were from New York! Is NY now a southern state?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies