Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 11:13 PM

69 posts, read 177,786 times

Advertisements

I hope this does not happen. I know that certain elements of the current Iranian regime are evil but I believe the consquences would be great. I believe America would be drug into another war that we cannot afford at this time.

Heres a list of things I could see happening:

-Iran launching strikes against coalition troops in Iraq and Afghanistan.

-Shiite uprising in Iraq killing Kurds, Sunnis, ect. As well as overthrowing the current Shiite led Iraqi Government.

-Hezbollah launching rockets against Israel.

-Hezbollah uprising in Lebanon toppling the weak Lebanese Government.

-Hezbollah sleeper cells in the United States causing terrorist attacks.

-Hezbollah infiltrating the Southern U.S. border.

-Al-Qaeda/Taliban uprising overthrowing the current Government in Pakistan, seizing nuclear weapons.

-Iran launching attacks against Saudi Arabia and trying to seize the holy cities of Mecca and Medina.

-World Economy tanking worse than it already has.

-Fuel prices rising through the roof.

I'm 100% against the current Iranian regime but I do not believe the world is ready for this. Too much instability, especially in that part of the world.

-Pat Healey
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2010, 04:37 AM

5,660 posts, read 5,088,512 times
I would go on vacation. Oh, hold on a sec... Obama already has that course of action covered...

Old 08-23-2010, 04:40 AM

5,660 posts, read 5,088,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
How many lives do we continue to take to keep those petrol prices down?
I drive a big, honkin' SUV, so I say 'as many as needed'!

Old 08-23-2010, 05:22 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
I drive a big, honkin' SUV, so I say 'as many as needed'!
We'll reserve the first spot in line for you

Old 08-23-2010, 05:24 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
Not really very suprised but still amazed that such a learned society could put such stupid people in charge.

Old 08-23-2010, 06:37 AM

30,065 posts, read 18,665,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
I'd go to Home Depot to stock up on batteries, water and other essentials...just in case.

'Iran's reaction to a U.S. strike won't be confined to the Mideast' - Haaretz Daily Newspaper | Israel News (http://www.haaretz.com/news/international/iran-s-reaction-to-a-u-s-strike-won-t-be-confined-to-the-mideast-1.309553 - broken link)

I would drink two coffees, rather than one that morning.

Old 08-23-2010, 06:55 AM

24,411 posts, read 23,065,142 times
I'd probably watch the news to see how their President, the guy with dead souless eyes, Ahmarajedad or whatever, would carry on. Personally, more power to Israel if they want to avert a nuclear confrontation and exchange by blowing up that nuclear facility. I hope they take some russian or chinese technicians out while they're at it.
Iran may talk tough and cut your throat when you're not looking (like the Iraqis and the taleban) but their military run in a straight up fight. Or hide behibnd civlians, women, children, etc.

Old 08-23-2010, 06:56 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by intrepidnomad View Post
I'd feel sad for the Iranians. I have so many friends who are progressive Iranians that fled that country because of that very reason. Many of them embrace Western culture. They also seem to be a very generous people and love beauty, culture, fashion, etc...

At least this is my experience from living in Washington DC.

I'd hate to think that Israel would indiscriminately wipe out future generations of Iranians who will eventually speak out against oppression and religious domination and terrorism. Look what happened not too long ago. We need these people on our side but if you kill their families, well, blood is thicker than water.

If I'm not mistaken, I think even Alexander the Great was taken with their culture.
Instead of fleeing, they should man up and take their government down.

Old 08-23-2010, 08:43 AM

2,819 posts, read 10,403,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
I'd probably watch the news to see how their President, the guy with dead souless eyes, Ahmarajedad or whatever, would carry on. Personally, more power to Israel if they want to avert a nuclear confrontation and exchange by blowing up that nuclear facility. I hope they take some russian or chinese technicians out while they're at it.
Iran may talk tough and cut your throat when you're not looking (like the Iraqis and the taleban) but their military run in a straight up fight. Or hide behibnd civlians, women, children, etc.
Think it would be the latter. Remember Iran could not even handle Iraq in the 80's, which took us how long to crush that army? A few weeks?
In all serious items, if Isreal was going to attack Iran I think this would have already happened by now.

One nuke into Isreal would also harm and cause disaster into Lebanon, Syria, Jordan, Egypt, and parts of Saudi. Lil' Hitler in Iran is not playing with dirty bombs, he want the multi-megaton bomb. With that you will reach way beyond a 75 mile kill radius. Then again, he is one crazy loon.

Overall, there may be more luck working on the inside vs., a direct attack. The Iranian population for the most part fear their leader more than they worry about Isreal. I think it is a matter of time before that regime implodes anyway. Not in the impatient American time thought, but the Middle East thought process in a few years or so.

Old 08-23-2010, 11:52 AM

7,835 posts, read 8,439,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post

Not really very suprised but still amazed that such a learned society could put such stupid people in charge.
George W. Bush. Twice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies