Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 08:59 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,451,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
It is being built on private private property. If it offends you so greatly, why not start a fund to buy the property it is being built on?
How about the people who want to build it have some common sense and courtesy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2010, 09:00 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,386,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
How about the people who want to build it have some common sense and courtesy?
What courtesy should you show to Muslim soldiers that died for your freedom? Should their children not be allowed to practice where they want in our country? Or are they second class citizens?

Old 08-23-2010, 09:02 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,705,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post
It has nothing to do with who owns the property, it has to do with what they plan to build on that property.

It completely lacks common sense, couth, sensitivity and plain old respect.

And people are entitled to how they feel -even if they DON'T support it.
I don't understand why conservatives oppose this development. Either you're for private property rights or you're not. To cry about the rights of private landowners and then want government to assert its power the minute they do something you don't like makes no sense to me.

Anyway, research has shown that facilities of this nature actually reduce radicalism and foster dialogue between various religious and non-religious groups.

Old 08-23-2010, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
What courtesy should you show to Muslim soldiers that died for your freedom? Should their children not be allowed to practice where they want in our country? Or are they second class citizens?
That's not even an issue. Their reasoning is because it's close to where these muslims live. That's a lie, that is a commercial district, nobody lives down there. How about showing some compassion? Oh I forgot, Muslims don't know what that is. They want that spot just to cause trouble.

Old 08-23-2010, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
I don't understand why conservatives oppose this development. Either you're for private property rights or you're not. To cry about the rights of private landowners and then want government to assert its power the minute they do something you don't like makes no sense to me.

Anyway, research has shown that facilities of this nature actually reduce radicalism and foster dialogue between various religious and non-religious groups.
You wouldn't understand because Progressives don't care about how people feel. They like to pretend that they do, but they don't. They like to stir the pot and make trouble.

Old 08-23-2010, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
So a Neo-Nazi center in the heart of New York City would be okay as well, as long as it was on private property? How about a KKK center in Harlem?
Linking a global religion of a billion people, many of whom are amongst the most enlightened and peaceful in the world, to extremist groups with a singular purpose of bigotry and division is astounding. If this is some group specifically linked to terrorism, then that's a different story.

Educate yourselves on Islam before commenting. You wouldn't want the world judging Christianity by the fundamentalists.

Old 08-23-2010, 09:07 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,386,012 times
Quote:
That's not even an issue. Their reasoning is because it's close to where these muslims live. That's a lie, that is a commercial district, nobody lives down there. How about showing some compassion? Oh I forgot, Muslims don't know what that is. They want that spot just to cause trouble.
Do you live in lower manhattan? I've seen pictures of street vendors who are Muslim, people walking around all over the place, and yes, people live down there, no doubt many are Muslim.

Contrary to popular opinion, Muslims and mosques okay in Downtown

Next

Old 08-23-2010, 09:08 AM

Quote:
You wouldn't understand because Progressives don't care about how people feel. They like to pretend that they do, but they don't. They like to stir the pot and make trouble.
I don't think we've ever met, but I'm not a progressive so I don't understand your response. I was speaking of the rights of private property owners, not a political affiliation. Many Republicans, such as the mayor, have come out in favor of the property owner to do as they wish, keeping in line with conservative ideology.

My question was why there are conservatives who repeatedly betray core conservative values the minute people express an idea or action that differs from their own. Seems to not be very free - especially in a city like New York where there are countless religious centers affiliated with all sorts of different religions. In my experience, this bigotry doesn't usually exist in New York unless it's fostered by outsiders.

Old 08-23-2010, 09:09 AM

5,412 posts, read 4,239,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
It is being built on private private property. If it offends you so greatly, why not start a fund to buy the property it is being built on?
Why do you only insist on one way tolerance?

When will mecca be open to non muslims simply being able to enter, let alone build a church?

Why has this city been offlimits to nonmuslims for over 1000 years? Where is your outrage?

Old 08-23-2010, 09:09 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,300,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post
It has nothing to do with who owns the property, it has to do with what they plan to build on that property.

It completely lacks common sense, couth, sensitivity and plain old respect.
Kinda like Dr. Laura using the "N" word 11 times in a five minute tirade. Yea I get it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies