Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 02:21 AM

3,197 posts, read 2,851,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDot View Post
No, not the Ground Zero mosque, but any mosque.

Would you want a mosque three blocks from your home complete with a tower and muezzin calling the faithful to prayer five times a day through a loudspeaker?
No lip service please, just be honest.

This issue has come up in Dearborn, MI.
If I decided to move to Dearborn, MI someday, one of the more Muslims cities in our country, I think I would be a fool to not expect something like that so would I care if thats where I was living, no.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2010, 03:33 AM

4,432 posts, read 6,980,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baront70 View Post

It has now been 12 months since gun owners in Australia were forced by
new law to surrender 640,381 personal firearms to be destroyed by their
own Government, a program costing Australia taxpayers more than $500
million dollars. The first year results are now in:

List of 7 items:

Australia-wide, homicides are up 3.2 percent.

Australia-wide, assaults are up 8.6 percent.

Australia-wide, armed robberies are up 44 percent (yes, 44 percent)!

In the state of Victoria alone, homicides with firearms are now up 300
percent. Note that while the law-abiding citizens turned them in, the
criminals did not, and criminals still possess their guns!

While figures over the previous 25 years showed a steady decrease in
armed robbery with firearms, this has changed drastically upward in the
past 12 months, since criminals now are guaranteed that their prey is
unarmed.

There has also been a dramatic increase in break-ins and assaults of the
ELDERLY. Australian politicians are at a loss to explain how public
safety has decreased, after such monumental effort, and expense was
expended in successfully ridding Australian society of guns. The
Australian experience and the other historical facts above prove it.

You won't see this data on the US evening news, or hear politicians
disseminating this information.

Guns in the hands of honest citizens save lives and property and, yes,
gun-control laws adversely affect only the law-abiding citizens.

Take note my fellow Americans, before it's too late!

[b]

You mention Australia, thats interesting. Australia has an lower homocide rate for use of guns in percentage than the USA. The US is the seven highest in the world.
Homicides > Gun Violence statistics - countries compared - NationMaster

In addition getting an gun in Singapore is even more difficult than Australia however:

America's level of gun violence cannot be attributed to urbanization alone as international comparisons show. Singapore has the second highest population density in the world (almost 6,814 people per square kilometer, or about 50% more densely populated than Chicago, Illinois) but has the lowest level of gun violence of all the countries in the table above. Its rate of gun violence is 99 times lower than that of the United States which is 200 times less densely populated. The only way for a civilian to own a firearm in Singapore is to acquire an Arm & Explosives license.[1]
Gun violence - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by other99; 09-15-2010 at 03:43 AM.. Reason: EDIT

Old 09-15-2010, 05:14 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Quote:

Would you want a mosque three blocks from your home complete with a tower and muezzin calling the faithful to prayer five times a day through a loudspeaker?

Eh, well, there is a mosque about 3 blocks from my house. Closer to 5 blocks I suppose.

Thankfully, they don't warble into a loudspeaker 5 times a day.

Old 09-15-2010, 06:09 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
I'd be proud for a mosque to rise near the ashes of the former WTC, as I believe in freedom. Some of that area is a blight anyway, and a mosque is FAR better than a strip club or liquor store. Anti mosque opponents just like getting their hate on towards those different than they are.
No it's not. A liquor store is always welcome. And strippers didn't kill thousands of Americans on 9-11.

Old 09-15-2010, 06:11 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
I have seen some Islamic centers in some fairly nice neighborhoods in some affliuent areas of the country. They are extremely well kept and hardly noticeable unless you stop to look and see what they are.
The same could be said for Nazi centers and KKK centers I'm sure.

Old 09-15-2010, 08:17 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
This appeared in the NY Times Page A1 back in December 2009 sowhy did the controversy just come to light in July 2010, do you think th epoliticians may have assisted in making a molehill into a mountain?

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/09/ny.../09mosque.html

The controversy arose in May after the imam took his plans to Community Board 1 for approval. CB1 is represents the residents of the downtown and Tribeca areas. They have no real power to approve building plans--the city has that--but they have political power as to what happens in their neighborhoods. The imam had been in touch with them about the plans up until that time, and had also gotten the input of the interreligious community, such as Trinity Church and Jewish organizations, and the Peaceful Tomorrows organization, which is a 9/11 Families group.

The day after CB1 gave their approval, the story appeared in several newspapers in town, the Daily News and the Downtown Express included. However, the New York Post, in its typical fashion, put a fear-based slant on the story about a "Monster Mosque" and falsely (and idiotically) claimed that it would open on 9/11/11. That's what hit the Internet and started the panic. So, basically it was a media manipulation. I think the politicians jumped on it for the ride.

Old 09-15-2010, 08:30 AM

3,436 posts, read 2,948,111 times
Loud speakers five times a day for any reason would bother me, a mosque would not. I used to live a couple of blocks from a mosque in California. I never heard anything from it. I also live in Boston and heard church bells all the time. Now I live in Texas and hear bible thumpers praising Jesus in the work place and telling me how I can get closer to Christ. I never really let any of that bother me. Was this thread about the mosque or the loud speakers? If you believe in religious freedom, you should have no problem with any place of worship. You can't allow freedom of one and not the other. Otherwise, this would be a theocracy.

Old 09-15-2010, 08:52 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,556,847 times
Quote:

Wouldn't bother me.

I used to live next door to a mosque in another country that did call adhan on a Friday, and salat during the week. Just like anything else, you get used to it. Muezzin's are chosen for their vocal abilities, so it's not unpleasant.

Old 09-15-2010, 09:03 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,750,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
So religious freedom is subservient to noise ordinances?
Are you fine with that?
There's a neighborhood here in Las Vegas that doesn't want a huge new church in their area. Not because they're anti-religion, but because of the Sunday morning traffic problems it would cause.

Old 09-15-2010, 09:13 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,750,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isitmeorarethingsnuts? View Post
But we can't put up manger scenes or crosses anymore. Yep, religious freedom at it's finest.
If it's private property, put up as many manger scenes or crosses as you want. But don't put them on government/public property.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies