Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 09:55 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times

Advertisements

For more than 30 years, the Muslim community in this Nashville suburb has worshipped quietly in a variety of makeshift spaces -- a one-bedroom apartment, an office behind a Lube Express -- attracting little notice even after the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks.

But when the community's leaders proposed a 52,900-square-foot Islamic center with a school and a swimming pool this year, the vehement backlash from their neighbors caught them by surprise. Opponents crowded county meetings and held a noisy protest in the town square that drew hundreds, some carrying signs such as "Keep Tennessee Terror Free."

Far from Ground Zero, other plans for mosques run into vehement opposition
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2010, 09:58 AM

5,999 posts, read 7,099,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
For more than 30 years, the Muslim community in this Nashville suburb has worshipped quietly in a variety of makeshift spaces -- a one-bedroom apartment, an office behind a Lube Express -- attracting little notice even after the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks.

But when the community's leaders proposed a 52,900-square-foot Islamic center with a school and a swimming pool this year, the vehement backlash from their neighbors caught them by surprise. Opponents crowded county meetings and held a noisy protest in the town square that drew hundreds, some carrying signs such as "Keep Tennessee Terror Free."

What does any of this have to do with ground zero?

Old 08-23-2010, 10:05 AM

15,861 posts, read 21,441,250 times
I have been following the story of the Tennessee mosque for a few months. There is also plans for a large mosque close to me in the northern suburbs of Atlanta and mark my words, it will be another fiasco given conversations I have had with high school friends and acquaintances.

It's nothing but fear, bigotry, hatred, and a true lack of intellectual curiosity. I see the term "Sharia law" being thrown around with no obvious understand of what it actually means.

Even if the MCC in NYC was planned for the 12 blocks away site, people would still find a problem with it. I can see it now "12 blocks is far too close! It's a symbolic victory!"

Old 08-23-2010, 10:06 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,125,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
What does any of this have to do with ground zero?
There is already a mosque 4 blocks from Ground Zero!

Yesterday, at the end of Wyatte Cenac's report on the "plot" of halal street vendors to conquer Manhattan, Stewart again upstaged the MSM. Amid all the hyperventilating about the Cordoba project being two blocks from Ground Zero, not a single media source has bothered to point out that there is a 40-year old mosque four blocks from Ground Zero! That's rather noteworthy, don't you think? Remember the opening segment, where Stewart showed clips of various politicians and pundits saying how far away Cordoba should be? 4 blocks. 40 years. As Stewart says, "It predate September 11th."
There is already a mosque 4 blocks from Ground Zero! | Kenneth Thomas's Blog

Old 08-23-2010, 10:08 AM

8,145 posts, read 6,531,599 times
More right wing hatred.

Old 08-23-2010, 10:08 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,833,234 times
First, they came for the Muslims, and I said nothing, because I was not a Muslim.

First they came... - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia...

"THEY CAME FIRST for the Communists,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Communist.

THEN THEY CAME for the trade unionists,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a trade unionist.

THEN THEY CAME for the Jews,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Jew.

THEN THEY CAME for me
and by that time no one was left to speak up."

Old 08-23-2010, 10:10 AM

3,088 posts, read 5,355,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
There is already a mosque 4 blocks from Ground Zero!

Yesterday, at the end of Wyatte Cenac's report on the "plot" of halal street vendors to conquer Manhattan, Stewart again upstaged the MSM. Amid all the hyperventilating about the Cordoba project being two blocks from Ground Zero, not a single media source has bothered to point out that there is a 40-year old mosque four blocks from Ground Zero! That's rather noteworthy, don't you think? Remember the opening segment, where Stewart showed clips of various politicians and pundits saying how far away Cordoba should be? 4 blocks. 40 years. As Stewart says, "It predate September 11th."
There is already a mosque 4 blocks from Ground Zero! | Kenneth Thomas's Blog
The proposed new structure is supposed to be a COMMUNITY CENTER!

Old 08-23-2010, 10:15 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,833,234 times
One of my supervisors in the Air Force was a practicer of Islam. Obviously, he was a terrorist.
He didn't eat bacon. SUSPICIOUS? ?? NO???

Edit.

Had a top secret clearance, too. Even sans bacon. Wait, so did I....and I associated with a known muslim pretty much five days a week. OBviously, that makes me a known aquaintance of a terrorist.

IS THAT EVEN POSSIBLE??? IS the Military being infiltrated by them as we SPEAK?

Old 08-23-2010, 10:18 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,125,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cap1717 View Post
The proposed new structure is supposed to be a COMMUNITY CENTER!
Yes, I know. My point is that there was already a Mosque and now it has become a major talking point for right wing fear mongering. Their a bit late in their protestations and people are too damn stupid to relaize how this is being used as a wedge issue

Old 08-23-2010, 10:25 AM

30,065 posts, read 18,665,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post

Hey, if you want to be accepted, stop committing acts of terrorism. Approval and acceptance is not unconditional, and US citizens would be insane to welcome and foster Muslim communities. It seems as though poverty, violence, and suppression of rights seems to follow them wherever they go. I would not want additional mosques or muslim community centers in our community either. Who would?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies