U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 03:57 PM

26,945 posts, read 17,420,892 times

Advertisements

For years, scholars like myself who've studied these radicalization trends have confidently argued that the kind of institutionalized Islamophobia one sees in large parts of Europe could never take hold in the U.S. That America's unbreakable dedication to religious liberties would never allow anti-Muslim sentiment to become mainstream. That, in fact, America's Muslim community — educated, prosperous, moderate and integrated into every level of American society — may be our nation's greatest weapon in fighting the ideology of radical extremism.

It seems we were wrong. The same kind of Islamophobia that has made much of Europe inhospitable to its Muslim citizens is now threatening to seize the U.S.

The fear is that this may lead to the same kind of radicalization among Muslim youth in the U.S. that we've seen in Europe. It has already played into the hands of al-Qaida, which has for years been trying to convince American Muslims that the unfettered religious freedoms they enjoy is a mirage — that the U.S. will eventually turn against its Muslim citizens.

European Islamophobia Finds A Home In The US : NPR
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2010, 04:04 PM

5,412 posts, read 3,481,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
For years, scholars like myself who've studied these radicalization trends have confidently argued that the kind of institutionalized Islamophobia one sees in large parts of Europe could never take hold in the U.S. That America's unbreakable dedication to religious liberties would never allow anti-Muslim sentiment to become mainstream. That, in fact, America's Muslim community — educated, prosperous, moderate and integrated into every level of American society — may be our nation's greatest weapon in fighting the ideology of radical extremism.

It seems we were wrong. The same kind of Islamophobia that has made much of Europe inhospitable to its Muslim citizens is now threatening to seize the U.S.

The fear is that this may lead to the same kind of radicalization among Muslim youth in the U.S. that we've seen in Europe. It has already played into the hands of al-Qaida, which has for years been trying to convince American Muslims that the unfettered religious freedoms they enjoy is a mirage — that the U.S. will eventually turn against its Muslim citizens.

European Islamophobia Finds A Home In The US : NPR
our "islamophobia" is nothing compare to the outright hatred so many in the muslim world have of the west. maybe you should hold muslims up to some similar standard you hold us up to?

I remember when I was living in NY and they would show th elocal New Jersey news and there was this incident where a synogogue got vandalized, and there was nazi stuff spray painted. The synaogogue had security cameras, and they discovered it was two arab muslims, pretty young do it. So the the media went to the father of the alleged perps, to ask if he thought it could be a mistake, and instead of him trying to deny it, or say it was a case of mistaken identity he shouted "The Jews did it! They try to mak emy family look bad! the jews!"

Old 08-23-2010, 04:23 PM

7,022 posts, read 6,004,163 times
Westernphobia finds a permanent home in Islamic countries.

Muslim world needs to speak out more against growing anti-Christian incidents (http://palestinenote.com/cs/blogs/blogs/archive/2010/08/08/muslim-world-needs-to-speak-out-more-against-growing-anti-christian-incidents.aspx - broken link).

Old 08-23-2010, 04:26 PM

8,862 posts, read 14,857,351 times
<That, in fact, America's Muslim community — educated, prosperous, moderate and integrated into every level of American society — may be our nation's greatest weapon in fighting the ideology of radical extremism. >

I frequently hear something similar-'mainstream Muslims do not condone extremists/terrorists'.

I am a mainstream Christian and know there is nothing I could possibly do to change the beliefs of other Christians.

Old 08-23-2010, 04:28 PM

7,022 posts, read 6,004,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
I frequently hear something similar-'mainstream Muslims do not condone extremists/terrorists'.
Too bad they never speak out against it as vociferously as they do when somebody draws a picture of Mohammed.

Old 08-23-2010, 04:30 PM

4,296 posts, read 6,278,710 times
For once I agree with the OP. The US has always prided itself on religious freedom, it was the very reason America was settled, Europeans did not tolerate religions different from their own. I find this whole debate over the mosque to be an embarrassment to our country and our ideals, and really like shooting the bird at our ancestors who made sure religious freedom would exist in the USA.

Old 08-23-2010, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by betamanlet View Post
our "islamophobia" is nothing compare to the outright hatred so many in the muslim world have of the west. maybe you should hold muslims up to some similar standard you hold us up to?

I remember when I was living in NY and they would show th elocal New Jersey news and there was this incident where a synogogue got vandalized, and there was nazi stuff spray painted. The synaogogue had security cameras, and they discovered it was two arab muslims, pretty young do it. So the the media went to the father of the alleged perps, to ask if he thought it could be a mistake, and instead of him trying to deny it, or say it was a case of mistaken identity he shouted "The Jews did it! They try to mak emy family look bad! the jews!"

Olney, Maryland Synagogue Vandalized with Swastikas, anti-Semitic slogans, Death Threats

The spray-painted comments also included the phrase "Death 2 Zionists" and "14/88." 14/88 is a reference used by white supremacists. The "14" refers to the "14 words" promoted by white supremacists "We must secure the existence of our people and a future for white children," which was promoted by David Lane, a criminal leader of the white nationalist group The Order. The "88" refers to eighth letter of the alphabet, "H," and stands for "HH" or "Heil Hitler."

You cannot take an isolated incident and generalize it to include all people of the same religion or race. These things, as horrid as they are are nothing new and cannot be blamed on one particular group.

Old 08-23-2010, 04:33 PM

140 posts, read 114,391 times
Sorry, phobia against some of the most phobic people in the world doesn't bother me. What is the most advanced Muslim country?

Old 08-23-2010, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
Too bad they never speak out against it as vociferously as they do when somebody draws a picture of Mohammed.
As we do not see many of the prejudices in today's youth that were held by older Americans, it would be only a mtter of time before the radical part of the religion is not embraced by the Muslim youth that is assimilated into our society. There will always be a certain few that harbor hatred, but when has that not been a part of every human civilization. I'm not a total pacifist, but hate really does only begat more hate.

Old 08-23-2010, 05:33 PM

8,566 posts, read 9,682,292 times
The Muslim Brotherhood "Project"
By: Patrick Poole
FrontPageMagazine.com
Thursday, May 11, 2006

Quote:
Only through the work of an intrepid Swiss journalist, Sylvain Besson of Le Temps, and his book published in October 2005 in France, La conquête de l'Occident: Le projet secret des Islamistes (The Conquest of the West: The Islamists' Secret Project), has information regarding The Project finally been made public. One Western official cited by Besson has described The Project as “a totalitarian ideology of infiltration which represents, in the end, the greatest danger for European societies.”
Quote:
What makes The Project so different from the standard “Death of America! Death to Israel!” and “Establish the global caliphate!” Islamist rhetoric is that it represents a flexible, multi-phased, long-term approach to the “cultural invasion” of the West.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies