Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 02:32 PM

1,499 posts, read 4,825,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Absolutely agree with this sentiment, I think Bolton would be a great Homeland Security Chief.
Bush would NEVER appoint Bolton to DHS, as Bolton would end Bush's dream of turning the USA into Mexico and creating a NOrth American Union.

Bolton is way too competent for DHS... he would turn that stupid agency into something productive and efficient and they don't want that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2007, 05:15 PM

7,138 posts, read 14,615,867 times
Yes, I agree, his demise is that he IS competent. See many in government who are?

Old 07-02-2007, 07:44 PM

30,286 posts, read 51,833,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCNative View Post
How about focusing on our own country for a change? Forget about israel... I care about the US of A way more than I do about Israel.
And then people wonder why Americans are known as the selfish bullies of the world... what's with all the hatred on this thread?? I'm completely shocked at some of these posts, especially the one that said "F Israel" - I can only imagine your reactions if I'd spoken that way about the US. But the reality is that we're all part of this WORLD, and a powerful country such as ours has some moral obligation to help those in need. I'm not even talking about Israel, but really anyone who needs assistance (to some degree). To say otherwise is selfish & heartless, in my opinion.

P.S. I don't even know who this Bolton character is, so I'll refrain from saying anything about him specifically.

Old 07-02-2007, 08:27 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,129,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
(expletive) Israel. (expletive) Bolton. Israel is pure evil. Bolton is pure arrogance.
People have found this post to be offensive. Everything I've read about Israel as a country proves to me that it is a terrorist state with no regard for human life. I don't support it and I don't have to. I also don't particularly support the other countries in the Middle East. I am not being anti-Semitic. My last two long-term loving relationships were with rabbis! Please stop immediately assuming that a lack of support for Israel is automatically anti-Semitic.

Old 07-02-2007, 09:26 PM

Quote:
People have found this post to be offensive. Everything I've read about Israel as a country proves to me that it is a terrorist state with no regard for human life. I don't support it and I don't have to. I also don't particularly support the other countries in the Middle East. I am not being anti-Semitic. My last two long-term loving relationships were with rabbis! Please stop immediately assuming that a lack of support for Israel is automatically anti-Semitic.
Who said that? I found it offensive to the PEOPLE of Israel, whether they be Jewish, Christian, Muslim, or other. If one of them said "F America, they're a bunch of terrorists", would you not be offended & angry??

Old 07-02-2007, 09:31 PM

5,408 posts, read 7,784,541 times
I find it offensive that we feel it mandatory to unilaterally back up Israel all the time and **** off the rest of the Middle East crew over there. We're reaping some of that good stuff right now. (Although I concur, the language in the post perhaps is harsh).

Old 07-02-2007, 10:12 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,129,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Who said that? I found it offensive to the PEOPLE of Israel, whether they be Jewish, Christian, Muslim, or other. If one of them said "F America, they're a bunch of terrorists", would you not be offended & angry??
Who said that? Two moderators and two red-dot givers.

I'm mature enough to not take the comment personally. The American comment you describe would not offend me at all. Plenty of Americans would agree with it and they, along with foreigners, have every right to feel that way.

I don't see anyone standing up for when Muslims and Arabs are terribly treated on these forums, but mention Israel and you get creamed as racist and anti-Semitic. How many people wrote disparaging things about France and it's opposition to the Iraq war? How many other countries get slammed by people on these forums? Are they all racists? I don't think so.

Saying it's offensive to the people of Israel is jumping to conclusions when it's obvious the remark was made against the GOVT. of that country. This is, after all, a political forum. Apparently, it's one where you can say bad things about Iran and a host of other countries, but not against the one we support.

I never expected to be in such an argument and it's very uncomfortable being accused when I'm not guilty at all.

Last edited by mhouse2001; 07-02-2007 at 10:30 PM..

Old 07-02-2007, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Who said that? The moderators.

I'm mature enough to not take the comment personally. The American comment you describe would not offend me at all. Plenty of Americans would agree with it and they, along with foreigners, have every right to feel that way.

I don't see anyone standing up for when Muslims and Arabs are terribly treated on these forums, but mention Israel and you get creamed as racist and anti-Semitic. How many people wrote disparaging things about France and it's opposition to the Iraq war? How many other countries get slammed by people on these forums? Are they all racists? I don't think so.

Saying it's offensive to the people of Israel is jumping to conclusions when it's obvious the remark was made against the GOVT. of that country. This is, after all, a political forum. Apparently, it's one where you can say bad things about Iran and a host of other countries, but not against the one we support.

I never expected to be in such an argument and it's very uncomfortable being accused when I'm not guilty at all.
Apparently it wasn't obvious you were talking about their government, or I wouldn't have said anything... I too disagree with many of their political views/stances, but still wouldn't make such a comment about the country. I've been to Israel, and the people there are just as torn over the fighting as we are. So anyway, if you meant the government & politics, you should have said that - something like "I hate Israeli politics & disagree with their government" wouldn't really have offended me.

Oh, and if you (or anyone else) had said the same about Iran, Iraq, France, or any other country, I would have the same response. I've never made comments like "screw Iraq", and would be ashamed of any American who did.

Old 07-02-2007, 10:36 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,165,238 times
I find it interesting that the posters who tend to be more liberal seem to be the one's most negative about Isreal, while the posters trending toward the conservative side seem more supportive.

It certainly seems inconsistent with the perception that the Republicans, especially those in the White House, are in the pockets of the "Big Oil" interests. It also doesn't see to square with the historical relationship of the Jewish vote being oriented toward the Democratic Party. I just looked this up to see if my recollection was true, or if I was misleading myself because of the high degree of publicity in Hollywood fund raisers:

Religious Voting Patterns 2000

"Jews made up four percent of voters; 79 percent voted for Gore, 19 percent for Bush. Jews have become more strongly Democratic in the past decade. While two_thirds voted Democratic in 1972, 1976, 1984, and 1988, four in five voted Democratic in the last three elections. Jews' only defection from the Democrats came in 1980, when only 39 percent voted for Carter's reelection, 45 percent voted for Ronald Reagan, and 15 percent voted for John Anderson."

Old 07-02-2007, 10:42 PM
jco

2,121 posts, read 6,444,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
I find it interesting that the posters who tend to be more liberal seem to be the one's most negative about Isreal, while the posters trending toward the conservative side seem more supportive.
Christians protect Israel; this could by why. What I've never understood is why Jewish voters tend to vote Democrat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies