Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2010, 02:15 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,264,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
He has many Church Pastors speaking. It is going to be multi-cultural.
I'm told by MSNBC only a few hundred are going to show up.
Have you seen the MSLSD headcount yet? I imagine they will be several thousand or hundred thousand short of the truth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2010, 02:17 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,135,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
How is that Jewish school down the street from you? Do they pray?

You have options on how to school your children - yes?
Really? So Jews have to send their kids to PRIVATE institutions so they are not subjected to prayers about Jesus? How about you pay and send your kid to a private Christian institution to learn about Jesus instead?

Sorry, we're a public school family. Your tax dollars don't support my Judaism, why should mine support your Christianity?

The government and public institutions belong to all of us. That's why you're not forced to Daven, wear Tifilin and pray as a Jew when you go to your town hall and I shouldn't be forced-- or encouraged-- to pray to, praise, or otherwise even acknowledge Jesus...

Religious freedom is a TRUE American value-- as is a secular government. As much as some true to purposely misconstrue history to indicate otherwise....

Old 08-28-2010, 02:19 PM

12,373 posts, read 13,193,381 times
We've all heard of Woodstock from the sixties, Beck's rally is now being referred to as Whitestock!

Whitestock | The Political Carnival

5,715 posts, read 15,044,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Really? So Jews have to send their kids to PRIVATE institutions so they are not subjected to prayers about Jesus? How about you pay and send your kid to a private Christian institution to learn about Jesus instead?

Sorry, we're a public school family. Your tax dollars don't support my Judaism, why should mine support your Christianity?

The government and public institutions belong to all of us. That's why you're not forced to Daven, wear Tifilin and pray as a Jew when you go to your town hall and I shouldn't be forced-- or encouraged-- to pray to, praise, or otherwise even acknowledge Jesus...

Religious freedom is a TRUE American value-- as is a secular government. As much as some true to purposely misconstrue history to indicate otherwise....
Spoken like a real patriot!

8,949 posts, read 12,135,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressing-On View Post
I can't remember the exact wording, but my Hebrew Prayer book has a prayer made by the men that thanks God for not making them a woman. LOL!
Yes, older Judaism and some forms of fringe Judaism still use that. I belong to a modern congregation-- Men and women sit together. Women in Jewish history are recognized and all the misogyny has been gone for 50 years.

Old 08-28-2010, 02:21 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,123,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meson View Post
We've all heard of Woodstock from the sixties, Beck's rally is now being referred to as Whitestock!

Whitestock | The Political Carnival

I've also heard it referred to as "The Beckoning".

From your link....

If you erect an enormous set complete with gigantic video screens, a sound system, and a stage, they will come. That kind of spectacle attracts curious onlookers the way a car crash creates rubber necking. It doesn’t matter who the host is. The earlier visitors are most likely the die-hard groupies, the others may very well be lookee-loos.

Old 08-28-2010, 02:24 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Beck: Help Us Restore Traditional American Values : NPR (http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=129479957 - broken link)

Beck had appealed to those attending not to bring signs with them. <snip>Over his polo shirt, he wore a T-shirt that read "Treat Obama like a used tea bag, toss him out now!"

"We are here kind of protesting about our government, too"

More evidence of the non-political nature of this rally.

Old 08-28-2010, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meson View Post
Where did you get that figure from? I understood that he raised a total of 5.5 million.....
BEFORE EXPENSES, which must be in the millions.
I will respond to the boy who said I was going on ignore so others who think like he does can see some of the facts of what is going on.

Beck, said on his show yesterday that 3 weeks ago he learned that they needed $500,000 for security because the Park Service felt it would be needed with a very large crowd. Beck says that he didn't know where to get the money and he looked at the ceiling of the plane he was on at the time and told God that it was time for Him to take an active part in this. Two days later they had $600,000 in new money and were ready to go on. Yes, he also said that they were able to give over $3 million to the group this was for.

I say that the new money that day was a small miracle that could have come from prayer. Listening to Beck the last two weeks and today I am more impressed with him and his belief in God than ever before. I think that many here are asking to be cast aside with their left leaning leaders who put much of their crap in their heads.

Just think, the most words I have typed to meson in a long time and he can't see them. Poor soul.

Old 08-28-2010, 02:31 PM

5,715 posts, read 15,044,900 times
Default Beck's another Maverick....

This movement is counter-productive to what our country needs to be doing right now but it's being promoted as some kind of call to service.... Beck's followers believe they're being called upon to save our country.

This is more evidence of why we don't need mavericks in office.

We need leaders.

Laura Bush recently spoke out and said that Americans should not be criticizing President Obama. She said that our Presidents are public servants...they are trying to serve the people of the United States. She is someone I can respect.
Even though President Bush is no longer in office and the one who is in office is very different politically, they understand that this bickering is not good for our country.

Now, Palin and McCain are a different matter. The turmoil that we're seeing in our country is the fruit of their kind of leadership....

and, so is the Tea Party.

Last edited by World Citizen; 08-28-2010 at 02:46 PM..

Old 08-28-2010, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikMartinsen View Post
Altogether the event left me feeling very benevolent, with a strong desire to enjoy my favorite patriotic song.

YouTube - Gods and Generals (Going Home - Mary Fahl) (Intro Theme) Soundtrack Song Music.
Darned pretty song but it doesn't do what the Star Spangled Banner played by a good military band does for me. The national anthem played by a good band does for me what the voice of Barack Obama does for Chris Mattheews except that it brings tears to my eyes in addition .

Thanks for the opportunity to hear the song.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies