Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 11:28 AM

467 posts, read 324,925 times

Advertisements

I am curious to see how many of you are:

1) registered voters (that actually vote)
2) Republican, Democrat, Independent

I'm not asking about the squishy factor of your ideology. I know some of you consider yourselves to be Libertarians, fiscally conservative while socially liberal, etc. What I'm asking really pertains to the general election. IF you vote there - you'll be voting for one of the above or writing in a name.

I am asking this of people who have served because I hear so much about the "vast majority" of the military being Republican yet that isn't my personal experience. For instance, in my husband's former command, 3 out of 3 department heads were Democrats. That is not always the case, but it makes me wonder if there aren't closeted liberals along with the closeted gays in the military.

As any military guy/gal can tell you, heterosexuals are unabashed discussing their private lives - including sex. Equally, maybe some of you would be surprised to know that Republicans in the military also tend to discuss their political views openly. This is a top down practice from what I've seen and it really doesn't bother me, but I know that the liberals we know don't feel comfortable espousing their beliefs openly.

Last question: Does it matter to you if the nominee from either party has served? Would that sway your vote either way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2007, 11:31 AM

989 posts, read 2,761,881 times
1) been registered to vote since I was 18, and voted in every election and primary I could (with the exception of a few local levies)

2) Was a registered Republican for the first 6 years (until about 2002).. been a Democrat ever since.

3) Served 6.5 years in the USMC reserve.

Old 06-27-2007, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evlevo View Post
1) been registered to vote since I was 18, and voted in every election and primary I could (with the exception of a few local levies)

2) Was a registered Republican for the first 6 years (until about 2002).. been a Democrat ever since.

3) Served 6.5 years in the USMC reserve.
Thank you for the response EV. Do you mind saying what brought about your conversion from Repub to Dem? I am always curious about how this happens. I was registered as a Rep from age 18 just because my parents were Reps (Reagan Dems - come to find out) and I didn't actually pay that close attention to politics until Clinton came along. I don't agree with everything he did or said, but I found my head nodding a lot more when listening to him than I did listening to the Rep agenda. So, I don't think I really ever was a Rep - just uninformed. Once I started paying attention things clicked for me.

My last question was: Does military service make a difference to you for your candidate? WOuld you be more likely to choose one who had served, but shared less of your ideals?

Old 06-27-2007, 11:48 AM

451 posts, read 835,576 times
I have voted Republican since the late 1980's when I switched from being a democrat. It makes no difference to me if the nominee has served.

Old 06-27-2007, 12:00 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
I am a Vietnam War veteran. I served in the US Navy with the River Assault forces in ’66 & ’67 in and around the Mekong Delta.

I am an active Democrat in southern New Hampshire and I have always been a Democrat. I vote in all the elections, including local, because it is my duty as a citizen to do so. So far I have been honored to work on the campaigns of two card-carrying heroes. Both Navy men and both named Kerry. Bob Kerry won the Medal of Honor in ‘Nam and we once shared a couple of stories. John Kerry won (IIRC) a Bronze Star and during the campaign we met and talked. I met the guy JK went back for and he remembered the day. Incidentally, the swift boat for truth are a BUNCH OF LIARS and are near the top of my sh*t list.

I believe that military experience is vital to the background of a presidential candidate. Actual combat experience is even more important because without the first hand realization and experience of the fear of being shot at by other humans, a candidate might just consider war is a game played by lesser people (Dubya for example) and fail to give it the respect it deserves.

I am appalled at the lack of military experience, with a couple of exceptions, in this bunch of candidates, both Republicans and Democrats.

Congratulations to your sailor. I hope he gets a boat. That is probably the best command in the Navy

Old 06-27-2007, 12:28 PM

Sprinter: thanks for your response. Are you a party line voter? Do you mind discussing what made you switch in the 80's?

Greg: Thank you for your service. I did a ton of campaigning in NH during the 04 pres race. I was a coordinator for Connecticut for General Wesley Clark so I spent many weeks and weekends up in Manchester, Portsmouth, bell ringing, honk and wave standing on sheets of ice, and phone banking. We visited various small towns I can't remember the names of at VFW halls for early morning pancake breakfasts. My hat is off to the voters of New Hampshire. I have the utmost respect for how seriously they take the electoral process and how receptive they are to the onslaught of all the candidates seeking their support. I couldn't believe the turnouts we saw at each event! Many of our breakfasts were standing room only with people outside the doors standing and listening to the General speak. It brings tears to my eyes just remembering it.

As for my hubby - he just screened for XO, but we're 2 years away from retirement (he was prior enlisted nuke ET before becoming an officer) and headed for our shore tour at Central Command in Tampa next month. Just not sure he'll want to stay in past the 20, but he loves the Navy and getting his own submarine would be awesome.

Old 06-27-2007, 12:52 PM

451 posts, read 835,576 times
Toninole
Quote:
Sprinter: thanks for your response. Are you a party line voter? Do you mind discussing what made you switch in the 80's?
I was rasied to be a democrat and to think republicans were bad. I registered as democrat and voted democrat because I thought it was the right thing to do.

I can't remember the specifics but I couldn't help liking reagan which made me feel almost dirty inside so I decided to really be open minded in my politics and I started thinking before I voted, low and behold when I looked at the issues I was a republican.

I have voted only for republicans since then but I would vote for anyone who I agree with on the issues that are important to me regardless of party with some exceptions.

To be honest If there was a third party candidate that was my Ideal up against a republican that was so so and a democrat that was unacceptable I would vote for the republican.

Old 06-27-2007, 02:03 PM

5,407 posts, read 7,793,866 times
Toninole I woud agree with your assertions. I think there is a top down push in the miltary to go Republican, but when you talk to the rank and file one on one their views are as diverse as those in this forum.
I believe some of the people that vote Democrat try to keep their views to themselves, becuse they do not want their careers to be impacted, especially as you start getting higher in the ranks.
I would not vote only based on military experience, but I think that military experience (I mean real military experience) gives the person a lot more credibility when they discuss military matters and war.

Old 06-27-2007, 02:40 PM

3,289 posts, read 9,186,341 times
I've voted since it was legal for 18 year olds to vote...1972, I was 18 that year. I've voted every election I could. I started off Democrat, then with Reagan I switched to Republican. I don't vote straight party line tho.

I have voted for individual Democrats in some races. It really just depends on the person. But if I don't know the person (and it usually happens in some of the very small trustee races for the Universities, etc) I vote the incumbent or Republican. Or the only one running for that particular seat.

US Army 1982-1984 Signal Corp LT
Liz

Old 06-27-2007, 03:00 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,692,112 times
From the time I was 18, I voted Republican through the 80's and 90's, though I didn't agree with them on all issues, particularly social. l then became disillusioned with the Reps after the '96 election when they failed to fulfill their stated agenda. Since then I've voted Rep. and Libertarian, according to the individual and current issues.

Everything else being equal, I feel that a candidate who has served would push me to vote for him/her. Otherwise fiscal conservatism, support for individual liberty and the free market trumps military service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies