Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do Democrats make better diplomats than Republicans?
Yes 6 50.00%
No 6 50.00%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 09:49 AM

915 posts, read 1,190,059 times

Advertisements

Carter arrives in North Korea to secure release of detained American - CNN.com

So Jimmy Carter is now in North Korea negotiating for the release of an American prisoner/hostage. A while ago he was in Gaza pleading for the release of an Israeli soldier from Hamas. He seems to be the go-to guy for these things.

It was about a year ago that Bill Clinton was in North Korea for the release of 2 American journalists.
Bill Clinton in North Korea, meets Kim Jong-il | Reuters

So do Democrats make better diplomats than Republicans? It's hard for me to imagine George Bush (either one, especially Jr) going on one of these diplomatic missions to release hostages.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2010, 09:58 AM

13,684 posts, read 9,003,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsm113 View Post
Carter arrives in North Korea to secure release of detained American - CNN.com

So Jimmy Carter is now in North Korea negotiating for the release of an American prisoner/hostage. A while ago he was in Gaza pleading for the release of an Israeli soldier from Hamas. He seems to be the go-to guy for these things.

It was about a year ago that Bill Clinton was in North Korea for the release of 2 American journalists.
Bill Clinton in North Korea, meets Kim Jong-il | Reuters

So do Democrats make better diplomats than Republicans? It's hard for me to imagine George Bush (either one, especially Jr) going on one of these diplomatic missions to release hostages.

I say: work on your limited imagination. Perhaps then you will be able to post a truly interesting polling question, with more than 'yes or no' answers.

I can easily imagine former President Bush (the younger) going on such diplomatic missions in future (the elder is simply, I feel, too old to go trotting around the world, but he would have been good).

Old 08-25-2010, 10:05 AM

26,562 posts, read 14,434,478 times
not imo. depends on president and country involved ( altho i will say that carter has been a far more effective diplomat than president ). if reagan had been younger during his presidency i think he could have been an affective diplomat post-administration ( .... and i say this as someone that disagreed with a lot of reagan's foreign policy ).

Old 08-25-2010, 10:19 AM

915 posts, read 1,190,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
I say: work on your limited imagination. Perhaps then you will be able to post a truly interesting polling question, with more than 'yes or no' answers.

I can easily imagine former President Bush (the younger) going on such diplomatic missions in future (the elder is simply, I feel, too old to go trotting around the world, but he would have been good).

If you don't like the poll than try not to pay attention to it. My question was not aimed at taking a side in the matter, just stating an observation and starting a discussion.

And Bush is only 1 year older than Carter.

Old 08-25-2010, 03:39 PM

10,875 posts, read 13,806,109 times
Absolutely. The world still loves clinton and everything he stands for as well as carter. I can't think of any living presidents that bring that much respect.

Old 08-25-2010, 04:01 PM

26,562 posts, read 14,434,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
I can't think of any living presidents that bring that much respect.
well, you are then only talking about two people. neither of who's strength was in diplomacy. not a fair account of the entire republican party.

Old 08-25-2010, 04:08 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,253,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
Absolutely. The world still loves clinton and everything he stands for as well as carter. I can't think of any living presidents that bring that much respect.
Do you think it is because Clinton is such a great man or because the rest of the world is in favor of a man who lied in open court and got himself into trouble for the lie.

Old 08-25-2010, 04:11 PM

70 posts, read 40,417 times
They make better diplomats than neo-conservatives whose diplomacy comes at the barrel of the gun.

Nixon and Reagan aren't without criticism, but they made significant gains in diplomacy. Too bad one has to go back 22+ years for a decent example of Republican diplomacy.

Old 08-25-2010, 04:27 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,031,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moog666 View Post
They make better diplomats than neo-conservatives whose diplomacy comes at the barrel of the gun.

Nixon and Reagan aren't without criticism, but they made significant gains in diplomacy. Too bad one has to go back 22+ years for a decent example of Republican diplomacy.
Or you could go back 19 years to H.W. Bush. He did after all put together an international coalition to drive Saddam out of Kuwait. Even W. Bush had a grasp on diplomacy, at least early in his presidency.

Too many accomplishments in diplomacy for Nixon, Reagan, and even Ike. Plenty of arms reduction treaties to go around, not to mention a gain of friendly relations with previously hostile Communist countries (Nixon and China, Reagan and the USSR with Gorbachev).

Old 08-25-2010, 04:29 PM

6,193 posts, read 5,366,177 times
Enemies prefer the weak to treat with.

Hence the OP's two referenced stories.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies