Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 12:19 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,296,391 times

Advertisements

This occurred in the Dallas suburb of Bedford at St. Vincent's Cathedral school. I've heard this is an excellent school so I was surprised to learn this. How is the local community reacting to this, can they force a private school to reverse it's policy? Does anyone have children that attend this school?

Texas school rejects 4-year-old over lesbian parents - CNN.com

Old 08-26-2010, 12:40 AM

216 posts, read 444,386 times
That's too bad, it really is. Bedford is a pretty conservative suburb of Fort Worth. I doubt much noise will be made about it, and I doubt the policy will be reversed.

I could be wrong though.

Old 08-26-2010, 03:31 AM

15,529 posts, read 10,499,357 times
Private schools are private because they want to govern themselves. The DFW area has a large variety of private schools to choose from. I'm sure they can find one that will suit their needs. I'm glad private schools all have different rules and guidelines, imo that is true diversity. If someone wants "one size fits all", go to public school.

Old 08-26-2010, 05:52 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,496,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
This occurred in the Dallas suburb of Bedford at St. Vincent's Cathedral school. I've heard this is an excellent school so I was surprised to learn this. How is the local community reacting to this, can they force a private school to reverse it's policy? Does anyone have children that attend this school?

Texas school rejects 4-year-old over lesbian parents - CNN.com
I've never heard of this school so I looked it up. It's Anglican Church in North America. This isn't surprising at all. My question, why would her parents even want to send her to that school, considering they are lesbian and this denomination broke away from the Episcopal church over exactly this kind of issue? The school is private and can do what it wants. This couple would be better served by sending their child to an Episcopal school, if they are looking for a Christian school.

Old 08-26-2010, 06:26 AM

2,394 posts, read 8,595,792 times
It's a private religious school. It's a shame that the school didn't discover this issue earlier so the parents had more time to find a different school. If a church believes that same-sex marriages are wrong, shouldn't they discourage that behavior? Excluding the late timing, I personally don't have an issue with the school not accepting her.

Brian

Old 08-26-2010, 06:32 AM

184 posts, read 335,893 times
They need to find a new school licketysplit

Old 08-26-2010, 06:40 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,744,433 times
Why on earth would they want to send their kid to an Anglican church? That surprised me. There are other christian schools (like Episcopalian, Lutheran, or even some Methodist) that take a much more open minded stance on same sex partnerships and could give their child a quality education.

As far as the community reaction, I do expect one. However, not from Bedford. Bedford is one of the more conservative burbs and it is located a whole 25 miles away from Dallas. I expect protesters from Dallas and Fort Worth to do something. It would even be different if it were a more moderate burb (like say Addison or Grand Prarie), I might expect a community reaction. Typically the burbs around Fort Worth are more conservative than the ones around Dallas (which Bedford is right outside Fort Worth). So I expect a reaction, but not really from Bedford.

Private Schools can do as they wish with enrollment. Even though I am very pro gay rights, I dont know that it would be right to force a private school to accept a child for whatever reason. Given that I have no doubt that other private schools in the area would take their child, they should look for a Christian school that isnt so closed minded.

Old 08-26-2010, 06:44 AM

200 posts, read 548,311 times
When I saw the subject I thought it was a public school, which should be a lot more tolerate.
Private schools are allowed to set their own rules. I'm also wondering why the parents would want to send her to such schools...
From a libertarian perspective, the parentes are entitled to choose their own lifestyle , just like private schools are allowed to set their own rules..

Old 08-26-2010, 07:19 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,183,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yjc281 View Post
From a libertarian perspective, the parentes are entitled to choose their own lifestyle , just like private schools are allowed to set their own rules..
As the parent of a gay son I see no problem with it. Most Texans put a lot of value and respect in the private rights of others. If this was in CA of another state, I'd bet some judge would like to take away these rights of private individuals.

If it was a public school they could then complain and be right.

Old 08-26-2010, 07:45 AM

6 posts, read 5,993 times
I feel bad for the kid because of two things: (1) the kid's terrible home situation. The kid deserves a traditional family with both a mother and father. Unfortunately, life did not give him/her that choice. Perhaps one parent chose to be gay after having the kid or two gay parents decided to adopt the kid. Either case, the adults are able to make their choice but the kid is the true victim here. (2) Because of the stigma the kid will likely have to endure even though the kid had no choice in the matter. The world is really a cruel place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies