Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Raise voting age to 30?
Yes! The 20 somethings don't know what they're voting for 23 18.55%
No 86 69.35%
Maybe raise it to 21? 15 12.10%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 12:38 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,582,634 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorrysda View Post
The original voting law was written to establish that only land owners and business owners could vote.
And those laws were discarded in both the US and UK (America adapted the existing British laws at the time) because they created political and social instability to the point that even conservatives came around to wanting them abolished.

Quote:
Looking at our welfare state and the horribly fast-growing numbers of same, we might reconsider and reinstate the original voting restrictions.
We have enough social and political instability as it is without adding more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2010, 12:39 PM

114 posts, read 200,008 times
Quote:
What a crock. You must be very young and haven't lived long enough to learn anything.
Common sense does go out the window. Old people will vote for what benefits them as young people do what will benefit the nation (personal experience.)

Old 08-28-2010, 12:48 PM

114 posts, read 200,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanst530 View Post
I disagree.... Congress can't run the country because voters can't make their flippin' minds up about anything!

We say we wan't change, the majority of young voters came out of the closet in the 2008 elections to vote for Obama. Change we got. Now voters are telling congress to scale back, but liberals are proclaiming that we're still cleaning up the "damage" from the previous president. 'Keep the change. No don't keep the change. Shut the hell up, you! No, you shut the hell up, I know whats best...'

Voters run the country.

People just don't have a clue what is good for the country. I can say that historically we have always faired better under a right-center government. That wasn't always the case, but usually, a limited, lean government has always served us well.
That's why I like Autocracy. Tyranny of one or the benevolence of one rather then the tyranny or benevolence of the majority.

As Churchill said "The best argument against democracy is a 5 minute conversation with your average voter."

Besides voters do what suits them rather then what's better for the nation as with a Tyrannical Dictator (If he's in it for money rather then ethnic, racial or religious terms) the nation gets better especially if he/she is benevolent (*Cough* Me *Cough*).

Old 08-28-2010, 01:39 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,723,119 times
how about people collecting welfare,, can't vote,

Old 08-28-2010, 03:50 PM

1,609 posts, read 1,078,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
how about people collecting welfare,, can't vote,
Yes, one can certainly make a case for welfare recipients voting as being a conflict of interest.

Old 08-28-2010, 04:04 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,582,634 times
Quote:
Yes, one can certainly make a case for welfare recipients voting as being a conflict of interest.
Would that mean that CEOs of corporations who do business exclusively or predominately with government couldn't vote either? Or any executive of any corporation that has recieved federal funds for anything couldn't vote? Major conflicts of interest there....

Old 08-28-2010, 07:52 PM

13,003 posts, read 18,890,317 times
"The right of citizens of the United States, who are eighteen years or older, to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or any State on account of age" - U.S. Constitution, Amendment XXVI, Sec. 1. So the OP proposes repealing this amendment. Others proposing repealing the 14th amendment to eliminate anchor babies. I hope this does not end up in a constitutional convention.

Old 08-29-2010, 07:52 AM

1,609 posts, read 1,078,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Would that mean that CEOs of corporations who do business exclusively or predominately with government couldn't vote either? Or any executive of any corporation that has recieved federal funds for anything couldn't vote? Major conflicts of interest there....
Nope! Corporations actually "work" for their money. Welfare recipients don't!

As a matter of fact, when Ronald Reagan was governor of California he tried to establish a law that made all welfare recipients who were physically/mentally capable of work to actually work for their check. They sued (ACLU, gotta love 'em) and the law was thrown out as being "against the rights of these people." So, they could continue to do nothing while the tax payers supported them. I was absolutely shocked at this ruling. I was young and dumb then and before this ridiculous law suit I actually thought our justice system really worked.

Old 08-29-2010, 09:44 AM

30,058 posts, read 18,645,635 times
Quote:
I myself am in my 20s and think we are not cut out to make decisions that risk the fate of the country. I know how people my age think and it's scary. Most of my age group is full of wanna be hippies... Free everything, and easy living.

I know there is an exception to this generalization, but for the most part it seems most are not informed enough about long term consequences of their votes.

I disagree. I think that only property owners and vets should be able to vote. Those who live off the government should not be able to vote to provide themselves more benefits, as of course, they will do so.

Those who lack any "skin in the game" should not be allowed to participate.

Old 08-29-2010, 09:48 AM

4,049 posts, read 5,028,919 times
Quote:
I myself am in my 20s and think we are not cut out to make decisions that risk the fate of the country. I know how people my age think and it's scary. Most of my age group is full of wanna be hippies... Free everything, and easy living.

I know there is an exception to this generalization, but for the most part it seems most are not informed enough about long term consequences of their votes.
NO! Old people with outdated ideas tend to have a disproportionately large voice at the voting booths as it is. Most of those ignorant young adults you generalized don't even vote anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies