Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Raise voting age to 30?
Yes! The 20 somethings don't know what they're voting for 23 18.55%
No 86 69.35%
Maybe raise it to 21? 15 12.10%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 11:59 AM

1,609 posts, read 1,079,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicIsYourFriend View Post
NO! Old people with outdated ideas tend to have a disproportionately large voice at the voting booths as it is. Most of those ignorant young adults you generalized don't even vote anyway.
You might want to consider the fact that when ideas/concepts/morals, etc., stay around for a few centuries, there is very good and solid reasons for that. You might also want to consider the fact that "young adults" have not lived long enough nor experienced enough of life to be able to put it all together and "learn from experience." They would be far more ahead if they would "listen" to their elders and apply the results of life already experienced to their own lives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2010, 12:17 PM

795 posts, read 2,298,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
I've got a better idea:--->
Return to the good old days of 1770 and the rules/regs of voter qualification first put in place then.

Something like this ->For the most part, American colonists adopted the voter qualifications that they had known in England. Typically, a voter had to be a free, adult, male resident of his county, a member of the predominant religious group, and a "freeholder." A freeholder owned land worth a certain amount of money. Colonists believed only freeholders should vote because only they had a permanent stake in the stability of society. Freeholders also paid the bulk of the taxes. Other persons, as the famous English lawyer William Blackstone put it, "are in so mean a situation as to be esteemed to have no will of their own." <-

Old 08-29-2010, 12:17 PM

4,049 posts, read 5,032,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorrysda View Post
You might want to consider the fact that when ideas/concepts/morals, etc., stay around for a few centuries, there is very good and solid reasons for that. You might also want to consider the fact that "young adults" have not lived long enough nor experienced enough of life to be able to put it all together and "learn from experience." They would be far more ahead if they would "listen" to their elders and apply the results of life already experienced to their own lives.
There are too many bad ideas/concepts/morals that are hard to shake off, and are more commonly held by the elders of society. Racism, sexism, false propaganda (e.g. "reefer madness"), aversion to technology...

Sure there is valuable information that is not new, this is not disputed. But falsehoods previously held by society continue to fall by the wayside as time goes by - and in general, the older people get, the less they keep up with that sort of thing.

Old 08-29-2010, 12:54 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,341,612 times
It's probably already been said...but if a person is old enough to be sent to war...they are old enough to vote!

Old 08-29-2010, 02:41 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,670,280 times
Ridiculous. If you're an adult, you should get to vote. Period.

Old 08-29-2010, 02:47 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,745,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanst530 View Post
I myself am in my 20s and think we are not cut out to make decisions that risk the fate of the country. I know how people my age think and it's scary. Most of my age group is full of wanna be hippies... Free everything, and easy living.

I know there is an exception to this generalization, but for the most part it seems most are not informed enough about long term consequences of their votes.
I am sure we can find more demographic groups that voted in a way you don't like and who must thus be excluded from voting

Old 08-29-2010, 02:48 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,221,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Ridiculous. If you're an adult, you should get to vote. Period.
I would agree with the exception of any convicted felon. felons should be made to forfeit any right to vote.
Also illegals and non-citizens.

Old 08-29-2010, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I am sure we can find more demographic groups that voted in a way you don't like and who must thus be excluded from voting
It's interesting how many conservatives are constantly looking for a group to blame for their problems, isn't it? Gays, Muslims, blacks, young people, etc. The list never ends.

Old 08-29-2010, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
I would agree with the exception of any convicted felon. felons should be made to forfeit any right to vote.
Also illegals and non-citizens.
I disagree. After you serve your sentence, you should be a free American again, with all of the rights that other Americans have, including the right to vote.

And yes, obviously, illegals and non-citizens don't have a right to vote. They never have, contrary to what I think some people believe.

Old 08-29-2010, 02:58 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,745,361 times
Here it depends. Being a permanent resident without citizenship, I am allowed to vote on a local level, but not in national elections.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies