Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 11:20 PM

1,350 posts, read 2,300,458 times

Advertisements

Ok people who don't have a CLUE

1. 80% of New Orleans DID evacuate. Get it?

2. New Orleans is largely not below sea level, it is near sea level. I live in the city and I do not live below sea level (my area in the old city did not flood, much like the original city did not long before levee systems)

3. The levees only failed in the drainage canals (and the Industrial Canal) because the Corps used crappy I walls with cheap, shallow pilings. Katrina was a Cat 3 storm with a larger surge...had the canal walls not been I walls...most of the city would have been ok.

4. New Orleans has withstood hurricanes for near 300 years. People did not evacuate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2010, 11:52 PM

37,971 posts, read 22,151,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiafrog View Post
Would the lessons of Katrina be to not build a city in a below sea level bowl?
The city was not built below sea level. After they put up a sea wall the Mississippi river was still depositing silt, but it deposited it outside the sea wall. Each year the surrounding area was getting higher, from silt deposits, while the city remained at the level, or elevation, that it was when the sea wall was erected.

Old 08-28-2010, 12:00 AM

5,960 posts, read 5,546,690 times
Quote:
Can you rely on the government? NO...especially when they don't care about you.
Exactly!

Old 08-28-2010, 12:02 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
"""There were more of these"""

"""a lot of them were thugs ""

Give stats, give facts, give numbers.....who are you to decide what "More of these" consists of...."a lot of them"? HOW MANY????????????????????
WHO helped you count them????
Give some links to factual numbers.

The obvious racism in this thread is sickening.
last time i saw cars rushed on canal street by a gang-- i did not stay around to count them. does seeing crime make me a racist????, how bout the fact that i am not white? a former resident does that count? hey man he just showed you the video, why you want stats? i knew people that were in the dome, they told some shameful stuff. jessie jackson was right to scold the people of new orleans, if the shoe fits wear it.

Old 09-15-2012, 02:36 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,994,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
Lessons such as:

4) Not depending on the "government" to be there to fix your problems?
This is the most important lesson of all, the soft racism of low expectations and liberal Democrat's desire to create a nation of non-thinking, dependent-on-the-state-for-their-every-need constituents who will always look to Big Government to wipe their noses for them,

Excerpt from "A Nation of Moochers"-

The Learned Helplessness of Hurricane Katrina
Theon Johnson was given $9,000 in housing aid by FEMA, but "he spent it all on booze, cigarettes, some clothes, and food—partying, mostly." So naturally, he waited around for the government to give him more. "I spent my money just the way I wanted, and I think [FEMA] should send me some more," he told the magazine. But that trough was closed to Johnson. His FEMA caseworkers offered to buy him a free ticket home to New Orleans, but he turned it down, instead choosing to wait until the Holiday Inn offered him a "buy out" deal, which he was hoping would be about $1,200.

A few months earlier, self-appointed "representatives of Hurricane Katrina evacuees" holed up in New York hotels demanded that the hotel’s management pay families $2,500 in return for leaving. What began as a public service had morphed into a shakedown that took various forms over the next few years.

Old 09-15-2012, 02:48 PM

6,897 posts, read 4,752,340 times
This idiot didn't help any....

Ray Nagin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies