Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 06:34 PM

2,616 posts, read 2,398,140 times

Advertisements

Probably due to his ability to refrain from losing his temper and his superior flying skills as a Navy Pilot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2010, 07:31 PM

7,168 posts, read 5,364,890 times
It shifted McCains way after the 3rd {R} debate, in a very calm and soothing voice McCain pulled at the heart strings of the neo cons. Telling them how important the Iraq mission was and we were not going to cut and run but stay the course until victory. After that debate McCain won NH and money started flooding into his broke coffer, and plus it was his turn.

Old 08-27-2010, 07:41 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,832,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post
Romney and Huckabee were just as bad. But their were plenty of better candidates like Fred Thompson and Tom Tancredo. Even Guiliani was at least honest about the fact that he was a liberal unlike McCain, Romney, and Huckabee.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyageur View Post
Because Republicans nominate Presidential candidates as follows:

a) The incumbent GOP President, if there is one seeking the nomination
Examples: 2004, 1992, 1984, 1976, 1972

If there is no such candidate, then
b) A candidate who previously ran for President but finished second either in the nomination race or the general election
Examples: 2008, 1996, 1988, 1980, 1968

c) Someone around whom the GOP establishment coalesces
Example: 2000

In 2008, there was no a and John McCain was the only b. So they GOP nominated him. It's an established pattern over four decades.
a lot of misinformation and total bravo sierra in the posts in this thread. thompson would have been an excellent choice, but he got in the race late and with NO energy behind his campaign. tancredo was viewed by many as too extreme, and gulliani was too liberal and had too much baggage. so basically it came down to mccain, romney, and huckabee, and with romney and huckabee splitting the conservative vote, mccain took the rest and mopped the floor. had romney or huckabee not been in the race, it is very possible that mccain would not have gotten the republican nomination.

Old 08-27-2010, 07:46 PM

50,367 posts, read 63,948,892 times
I have wondered this myself. I don't know who put the fix in, but it seemed as if one moment, there were several candidates that I liked, but the next moment they were all dropping out left and right, and McCain was the guy. I assume the RNC decided that McCain had paid his dues and that it was his turn.

Old 08-27-2010, 07:53 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,479,903 times
Quote:
Originally posted by Voyageur
Because Republicans nominate Presidential candidates as follows:

a) The incumbent GOP President, if there is one seeking the nomination
Examples: 2004, 1992, 1984, 1976, 1972

b) A candidate who previously ran for President but finished second either in the nomination race or the general election
Examples: 2008, 1996, 1988, 1980, 1968

c) Someone around whom the GOP establishment coalesces
Example: 2000

In 2008, there was no a and John McCain was the only b. So they GOP nominated him. It's an established pattern over four decades.

Exactly. McCain was nominated because it was his turn in line. That's the way Republicans are always nominated.

Old 08-27-2010, 07:56 PM

1,808 posts, read 4,038,239 times
I will offer this opinion. It was not so much McCain. It was when they put Palin on the ticket that I was convinced they intended to loose. And it was a brilliant move. Only time would/will fix the mess we were in. Bail then blame. Not righteous, but brilliant.

Old 08-27-2010, 07:57 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,758,986 times
Quote:
Romney and Huckabee were just as bad. But their were plenty of better candidates like Fred Thompson and Tom Tancredo. Even Guiliani was at least honest about the fact that he was a liberal unlike McCain, Romney, and Huckabee.
Republicans usually pick the "next in line" candidate. Sometimes that results in really bad picks such as Bob Dole, Ford and McCain. My guessing is that they will choose Romney in 2012 and I really don't see him winning either. If he does it will only be by default because the economy is really FUBAR'd or because Obama got caught in a scandal of some kind.

Old 08-27-2010, 08:01 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,183,316 times
The Republicans (as many others) saw the economic problems coming. They did not want to hold the presidency during this time. It's much easier to sit aside and criticize everything Obama does. The Republicans don't have any solutions, but plenty of criticism. The Republicans knew that whoever would be president would have a tough time.

Old 08-27-2010, 08:06 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,171,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawgfan View Post
I will offer this opinion. It was not so much McCain. It was when they put Palin on the ticket that I was convinced they intended to loose. And it was a brilliant move. Only time would/will fix the mess we were in. Bail then blame. Not righteous, but brilliant.
She was the only good thing on the ticket. She actually got out and campaigned. Even then she wasn't enough to get me to vote for McCain. I was going to write in Fred Thompson, but I was afraid if I had a write in my vote wouldn't count in the House race which was going to be close.

Old 08-27-2010, 08:15 PM

1,808 posts, read 4,038,239 times
Quote:
She was the only good thing on the ticket.
And they won in convincing fashion because of it. Whoops. My bad. Not how it went down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies