Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 04:04 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times

Advertisements

i condemn no one for doing a thankless job. however, i am no longer concerned about who sits in the oval office as it does not seem to make any difference. we are broke and living on credit. its gota stop. take away the credit cards now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2010, 06:03 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Again more baseless criticism. You do not need to be a Muslim to enter a Mosque. Secondly, I answered the question about the Greek Orthodox Church the first time you asked the question in this thread (which you ignored) and its been something that has been answered over and over again. The Greek Orthodox Church plans to rebuild the Church would have had a direct impact on the ongoing Construction at the site and the Freedom Tower as a result it was denied. Due to the fact the Community Center was several blocks away from the site and not at the site its construction would have no impact on the current construction
regarding the greek church reconstruction, bravo sierra. the construction of the freedom tower has been delayed for years. the church was offered another lot, and then that offer was rescinded. the rebuilding has also been delayed for years, and for no good reason. there has been plenty of opportunity to allow the church to be rebuilt without impacting the tower construction.

Quote:
And funding from Mosque's generally come from questionable sources?? Laws don't change because you feel the need to discriminate.
you might surmise that but i never said that. however, what is the harm in finding out where the funding is coming from? you ask a christian church where their funding is coming from and i would bet that they would open their books and let you see them. why won't the mosque?

Old 08-30-2010, 06:06 PM

1,110 posts, read 2,239,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
i condemn no one for doing a thankless job. however, i am no longer concerned about who sits in the oval office as it does not seem to make any difference. we are broke and living on credit. its gota stop. take away the credit cards now.
Bush lost 14 trillion in US wealth during the 8yr debacle, take it up with him.

Quote:
Clinton inherited a $290 billion deficit from George H.W. Bush. He reversed Bush's and Reagan's trickle down economic policies, raising taxes on the wealthy, and reducing them on the working and middle classes. He was able to reduce the deficit every single year of his presidency. By 1997, the government was running budgetary surpluses, the first since 1969. He delivered a $230 billion surplus in 2000.

Bush reversed Clinton's policies, lowering taxes on the very wealthy - his "base" as he called them - and effectively raising them on everyone else. In his first full year at the helm of the economy, he delivered a $157 billion deficit, and he never looked back. By 2004, the deficits were topping $400 billion a year. While Clinton delivered surpluses, Bush's deficits totaled some $3.7 trillion over his eight-year term. Clinton 6: Bush 0.

There is no subtlety, no ambiguity about the data or the economic performance they reveal. By every single measure, Bush's policies and tenure were worse - much worse - for the American economy and the American people than those pursued by Bill Clinton. And we are still living today in the aftermath of the destruction they have wrought.

We could add any number of other measures as well, measures not offered up by Forbes but which are still straightforward indices of economic performance. Clinton reduced poverty, from 15.1% when he took office to 11.3% when he left. Bush increased it, from 11.3% when he started to 12.5% at the end of 2008.

The stock market more than tripled under Clinton's tenure. The Dow went from 3,241 when he took office to 10,587 on the day he left. It actually declined under Bush's tenure, from 10,587 on the day he took office to 8,281 on the day he left. Between the recent stock market collapse and the housing crash, Bush destroyed more than $14 trillion in consumer wealth, a staggering, almost incomprehensible legacy of devastation that will haunt Americans for decades to come.

Old 08-30-2010, 06:44 PM

22,180 posts, read 19,449,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
regarding the greek church reconstruction, bravo sierra. the construction of the freedom tower has been delayed for years. the church was offered another lot, and then that offer was rescinded. the rebuilding has also been delayed for years, and for no good reason. there has been plenty of opportunity to allow the church to be rebuilt without impacting the tower construction.
Wrong the building has been going on for years ( I use to work in the area). The church's plan was denied due to the interference of the ongoing construction at the site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
you might surmise that but i never said that. however, what is the harm in finding out where the funding is coming from? you ask a christian church where their funding is coming from and i would bet that they would open their books and let you see them. why won't the mosque?
They would never be asked nor have others in the past in a situation like this.

Old 08-30-2010, 06:57 PM

229 posts, read 241,252 times
Quote:
Hmm, interesting you bring Joe the Plumber into the mix, considering like most small business's the company he was claiming he was going to buy made less than $250,000. In fact that business made far less than $250,000.

As far as plenty of married couples making over $250,000. Please, its basically 2% that are in the top two brackets.

Not to mention the increases at this level are actually don't really start until you are a bit over $250,000. For example for a married couple with two kids, you won't pay more in taxes until you are over $319,550.
Number twinsting lib!!!
Here are some twists for you NYC Lib!

It is 3 %, 4 million out of 138 million returns.
47% of those 138 million don't pay federal income tax.
Just google "how many people don't pay taxes"
So it is more like 6% and those 6% already pay over 90% of all federal taxes collected.

In case you forgot they cut the child deduction in half for EVERYONE. Now my adjusted gross income will be OVER the 250.

That tax hike affects many more than you are accounting for Mr History.

You dont care cause you don't make anywhere near that amount and probably are part of the 47% that DON'T PAY!

Now regarding the Greek Orthodox Church, has NYC fairly compensated them for giving up the land they OWNED! NO THEY HAVE NOT. Did NYC find a suitable location, NO! They have not made a single effort to help that church relocate. They gave away a proposed site while still negotiating.

But they have rolled over backwards for Islam. You avoid answering the questions regarding the funding of waiter to buy the parcel(s).

It was a small church and would not have blocked a darn thing!

Oh boy, you worked there at ground zero! I work near NASA but that does not mean I know all about space travel.

New York Government Refuses Greek Orthodox Requests to Rebuild Church at Ground Zero « Doctor Bulldog & Ronin

Old 08-30-2010, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefffla01 View Post
I consider myself to a political independent not aligning with the tags liberal or conservative.

While I disagree with a lot of Obamas agenda and tactics, I do find him to be caring, articulate, intelligent, and a decent man.

There a lot of the Presidents haters on this thread--------are these same haters missing the incompetence and ineptness of W?????? The image of this country still hasnt recovered from the massive incompetence and blundering W spewed forth with his handling of foreign diplomacy.

Yes as I stated I cringe a some of the agenda set forth by the President. That being said, when saying that he is a narcissist, please attend a tea party meeting or rally and than rephrase narcissism.

There is no sense of unity or pledge to set the right course for this country any longer------it has strictly turned into a nauseating game of partisan politics and bickering. A lot of Americans have lost interest in the political process because they simply believe the system is broken and cant be fixed. A lot of people believe that anything constructive can not be effected in this country any longer----trying will get you villified on the premiere radio network, Faux News, or CNN.

The process in now on verge on total shambles and disrepair-----it is disconcerting.
ok, Bush was horrible and Obama is more horrible. JFK was OK but Reagan was great. John Adams was the best ever followed by Lincoln, the very first republican. Happy now? Good, go vote democrap again ...

Old 08-30-2010, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Can we at least agree that President Obama means well?

Why? My puppy means well, but she still sh*ts all over the carpet.

Good intentions...I hear they have a saying about that...
At least the puppy is not sh*tting all over us ...

Old 08-30-2010, 07:16 PM

22,180 posts, read 19,449,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deturmind View Post
Number twinsting lib!!!
Here are some twists for you NYC Lib!

So it is more like 6% and those 6% already pay over 90% of all federal taxes collected.

In case you forgot they cut the child deduction in half for EVERYONE. Now my adjusted gross income will be OVER the 250.

That tax hike affects many more than you are accounting for Mr History.

You dont care cause you don't make anywhere near that amount and probably are part of the 47% that DON'T PAY!

Now regarding the Greek Orthodox Church, has NYC fairly compensated them for giving up the land they OWNED! NO THEY HAVE NOT. Did NYC find a suitable location, NO! They have not made a single effort to help that church relocate. They gave away a proposed site while still negotiating.

But they have rolled over backwards for Islam. You avoid answering the questions regarding the funding of waiter to buy the parcel(s).

It was a small church and would not have blocked a darn thing!

Oh boy, you worked there at ground zero! I work near NASA but that does not mean I know all about space travel.

New York Government Refuses Greek Orthodox Requests to Rebuild Church at Ground Zero « Doctor Bulldog & Ronin
Wow you told so many lies in that thread.....

First off they did not cut the child deduction credit for everyone. Simply 100% false. Those who got the child tax credit previously will still get it, the income amount will stay the same.

Secondly even above the $250,000 it doesn't mean the taxes will increase (due to the 28% bracket being pushed upward). Your AGI is going to be at least $281,900 before you will see any increase in taxes. If you have any kids or if you take itemized deductions the income levels before you see an increase in taxes will be even higher.

Third, the Church came up with a plan, (which btw included increasing the size of the church by 13 stories), the plan was shot down due to the impact it would have had on the ongoing rebuilding efforts. The Church refused to budge from their plans.

They didn't bend over backwards for Islam. The proposal put forth for the Community Center did not interfere with any other ongoing construction and did met all the zoning requirements. The church's proposal did not. It really is that simple.

Old 08-30-2010, 08:21 PM

[quote=SacalaitWhisperer;15692079]
The stock market more than tripled under Clinton's tenure. The Dow went from 3,241 when he took office to 10,587 on the day he left. It actually declined under Bush's tenure, from 10,587 on the day he took office to 8,281 on the day he left. Between the recent stock market collapse and the housing crash, Bush destroyed more than $14 trillion in consumer wealth, a staggering, almost incomprehensible legacy of devastation that will haunt Americans for decades to come./quote]

Abosolute horse dung! I love the how we look at the end of 2008 when the housing market crashed due to years of congress forcing unsafe loans on the finanace industry. If you do your research and average the year end from Reagan to Bush #2 you will find that market did much better with republicans in control of congress. The fact is the market is controlled by congress not the president.

Just like the tanking market in 2009 is no fault of Obama but his policies are strangling business growth and in 2010, you can bet he is having an effect.

Clinton was kept under control by republican congress. The market under Bush #2 was incredible until the dems took control. The market dropped just after Y2K, Bush had not even taken office yet! The market dumped again after 9/11, nothing to do with Bush.

They raised the poverty thresholds during Bush #2 that is why there was an increase!

Old 08-30-2010, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Wow you told so many lies in that thread.....

First off they did not cut the child deduction credit for everyone. Simply 100% false. Those who got the child tax credit previously will still get it, the income amount will stay the same.

Secondly even above the $250,000 it doesn't mean the taxes will increase (due to the 28% bracket being pushed upward). Your AGI is going to be at least $281,900 before you will see any increase in taxes. If you have any kids or if you take itemized deductions the income levels before you see an increase in taxes will be even higher.

Third, the Church came up with a plan, (which btw included increasing the size of the church by 13 stories), the plan was shot down due to the impact it would have had on the ongoing rebuilding efforts. The Church refused to budge from their plans.

They didn't bend over backwards for Islam. The proposal put forth for the Community Center did not interfere with any other ongoing construction and did met all the zoning requirements. The church's proposal did not. It really is that simple.
The child tax credit has been cut in half. Period.
The childcare credit has been slashed. Period.
Taxes for all will be going up. Period.

My accountant has estimated my 2010 taxes, you can spin it any way you like, but taxes are going up. Bush lowered them Obama raised them.

So it is more like 6% and those 6% already pay over 90% of all federal taxes collected. I see you ignore the numbers that don't favor your POV.

Has the church been compensated for the land the gave up? Answer the question. How much was the land worth that the City stole from them?

Here is the answer, the original church was 4 stories. The new structure that was to be located at 130 Liberty would have been larger and would not have interferred with any construction efforts. The $60 million pledged by NYC came with strings. The church wanted to review the plans for a Vehicle Security Center to be built beneath the Church. The city balked at that demand and negotiations fell apart.

So if you were some big shot builder in NYC and wanted to erect a structure and the City told you they were building a garage beneath it you would darn well want to see the plans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies