Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 08:33 AM

9,891 posts, read 10,823,821 times

Advertisements

Well, I have poked fun at the global warming alarmists, stating we need to speed it up, so that we can get to all that oil under the ice.. well lo and behold look what Russia is doing. We have China drilling off the coast of florida, Russia to the North, meanwhile we are sitting around trying to convince people not to drive, and celebrating the fallacious notion that corn is the answer. My question is, in 5-10 years when other nations have gone after oil everywhere they can and increased their capacities, and the US has been chasing some utopian pipe dream, refusing to even drill for the oil on our own soil, who will be in the position of control, and will it matter if we are all driving our micro soymobiles when the rest of the world is still pumping out the bubbling crude?Kremlin lays claim to huge chunk of oil-rich North Pole | Russia | Guardian Unlimited
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2007, 08:44 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
When all the oil is pumped from everywhere but here, who will have the oil that is left? Consider leaving our oil in the ground to be a long-term investment in preserving chemical feedstocks.

Old 06-28-2007, 09:34 AM

32 posts, read 98,961 times
Alternative sources of energy is the future and if you cannot see that....you must be blind.

Old 06-28-2007, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndoe07 View Post
Alternative sources of energy is the future and if you cannot see that....you must be blind.
as a matter of fact I am blind! Is that your answer? which alternative source in particular do you think is the future?

Old 06-28-2007, 09:44 AM

626 posts, read 993,023 times
Corn based ethanol is a joke. However, sugar based ethanol has some promise.

Our future is a reduction in energy consumption. This is a given. We simply cannot continue to consume at this level. We will eventually run out of resources.

Old 06-28-2007, 10:13 AM

all of them......Hydro-electric power, Solar energy, Shale oil, Wind energy, Gas hydrates, Wave energy, Nuclear fission, Tidal power, Geothermal Fusion, Ocean thermal energy conversion. Shall I continue......

Old 06-28-2007, 10:35 AM

3,674 posts, read 10,605,252 times
Quote:
all of them......Hydro-electric power, Solar energy, Shale oil, Wind energy, Gas hydrates, Wave energy, Nuclear fission, Tidal power, Geothermal Fusion, Ocean thermal energy conversion. Shall I continue......
No, just pick some and make them cost effective. You can concentrate on solar first since I have most of that in my area.

We all agree that alternative energy sources are essential and we would all prefer to see them sooner than later. The practical problem is for general utilization the costs must be reduced to something at least close to our worst case scenario for fossil fuels expenditures. The rank and file cannot afford to spend what they must now for fuel and we try to tell them to spend a significant premium over that in order to save the world from extinction in a few generations? Most of the world does not appreciate cause and affect beyond a few days, much less a few lifetimes.

If we devote our efforts toward refining the technology to the point it is desireable instead of complaining because people won't switch to an economically undesirable but ecologically preferable solution we would get there much sooner.

P.S. I also do not believe that the oil industry is blocking any technology in this area, but is pursuing it as actively as everyone else is but from the perspective of how to corner the market and protect their investment.

Old 06-28-2007, 10:43 AM

Quote:
no thats sufficient, hydro electric, shale oil, nuclear are all valid resources that we should be using more of, unfortunatley the same environmental extremists that dont want us drilling for oil dont want more dams because of the fishies and are hysterical about nuculer waste. Solar, tidal and the rest are either jokes, unproven or not realistic on a large scale, and we still need good old oil to make that diesal for all the trucks keeping this country alive! The world is an oil based economy and it is not going to change overnight or even over 10-20 years no matter how many movies algore makes!

Last edited by silas777; 06-28-2007 at 11:29 AM..

Old 06-28-2007, 12:10 PM

No one expects change to happen overnight. However, it is inevitable and alternative sources of energy, regardless of what kind they are, will gradually replace the burning of fossil fuels.

Last edited by johndoe07; 06-28-2007 at 12:34 PM..

Old 06-28-2007, 11:33 PM

3,202 posts, read 4,434,090 times
the fact is every year there are more people in the world than the year before.the more people there are the more energy will get used.you can learn to use it more efficiently but you will never drastically reduce the amount of energy consumed unless we have worldwide population loss[which i dont see happening]we will eventually have to depend on alternative energy but that will only happen when they become cheaper then fossil fuels
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies