Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 01:33 PM

183 posts, read 167,769 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephan_K View Post
Apparently you don't disagree with my assessment, more so you don't understand what I'm saying...... You describe exactly what I'm talking about ! Instead of knowing your kid and being able to dealing with them about ANYTHING in a way and on a level they can relate to strongly throughout their entire life, parents will depend on society to do it for them via groups, school & programs and such..... I'd say that is one of the bigger roots to the problem and you seem to agree as well !
I agree with that, there is not enough parental involvemen with childrens lives these days. Parents, believe it or not are the biggest influence on their kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2010, 02:02 PM

1,791 posts, read 1,786,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny napalm View Post
They are easy targets for drug dealers, if they can reach one kid in a group they can easily add several more "clients" by using the kid to push these drugs on to peers. This is what make marijuana look like a gateway drug. If the feds legalized pot it may give kids a better understanding of why these harder drugs are illegal. When kids use weed it gives them the idea that they were lied to about the others as well and are more likely to use them as well.
Valid point. I wholeheartedly agree. Legalize the weed please.

Quote:
That's an easy one..... Because they have no real parental guidance.... Too many parents today think that society is going to do majority of the raising of their kids for them. Hence the bad attitudes and entitlement mentalities of youth today and the things they get into. And the parents remain blind to it all..... it's the American way anymore.

And for those that do receive some guidance..... it is usually coming from the younger generations of people who have these bad attitudes and entitlement mentalities already as this is how they were raised and know no better. The blind leading the blind.
Great point. Something I've said since I can remember. Parents should be just that. PARENTS. And stop blaming everything and everyone else for their own shortcomings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I was raised by an alcoholic to be a drunk. I got over it.
I was raised by a single mother, that did no drugs/alcohol, a crazy (no exaggeration) immediate family, and was told and taught lies. Did plenty of drugs up until 3 years ago. Here's to getting over and on with things. And I ALWAYS supported my own habits. ALWAYS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leilani Vasquez View Post
Meth is unheard of where I'm from (Connecticut/Western MA).
Yeah. Right.

Quote:
Apparently you don't disagree with my assessment, more so you don't understand what I'm saying...... You describe exactly what I'm talking about ! Instead of knowing your kid and being able to dealing with them about ANYTHING in a way and on a level they can relate to strongly throughout their entire life, parents will depend on society to do it for them via groups, school & programs and such..... I'd say that is one of the bigger roots to the problem and you seem to agree as well !
Ouch!

Drugs can get anyone, anywhere, anytime. Just because one doesn't hear about it, DOES NOT mean there aren't drugs where one wouldn't think they are. Drugs are ALL OVER THE PLACE. (Drugs do not discriminate)

Old 08-31-2010, 02:05 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,265,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny napalm View Post
I agree with that, there is not enough parental involvemen with childrens lives these days. Parents, believe it or not are the biggest influence on their kids.
Who cares! Let them get strung out on meth and let mommy and daddy support them.

Old 08-31-2010, 02:06 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,181,452 times
Quote:
What does that have to do with parents and parents not being involved?
My parents were very interested in what I did, but that didn't stop me from smoking pot or dropping acid. I just had to do it when they wouldn't be around.

We were going to party and figure out how to do it.
Parents aren't with their kids 24/7; if they are, that's less healthy than drugs.

Old 08-31-2010, 02:09 PM

1,273 posts, read 4,146,292 times
According to the DEA website, the only real meth problem in New England is New Hampshire. I also have several relatives who are police officers and have never came into contact with it. Out here, it's mostly heroin and cocaine. Heroin seems to be the drug of choice for suburban areas and a mixture of the 2 for urban areas.

Old 08-31-2010, 02:18 PM

22,096 posts, read 19,303,408 times
Meth seems to be more of a rural thing, or in the mid west and south. Really isn't a problem here, heroin is the big issue here.

Old 08-31-2010, 02:33 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,896,694 times
I do think that parenting has something to do with it, but not all. You can be an amazing parent, but in the end it's the KID who makes the choice. I've seen some great kids who have totally uninvolved, drug/alcohol addict parents, as well as some awful kids who have very involved parents.

Here in Green Bay WI, it's somewhat non-existant. It's mostly weed and cocaine.

Old 08-31-2010, 03:56 PM

1,436 posts, read 3,288,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
What does that have to do with parents and parents not being involved?
My parents were very interested in what I did, but that didn't stop me from smoking pot or dropping acid. I just had to do it when they wouldn't be around.

We were going to party and figure out how to do it.
Parents aren't with their kids 24/7; if they are, that's less healthy than drugs.
It has everything to do with parents and parents not being involved. If parents were more involved in ways other than general Q&A just to show interest, as is much the case...... things would be much different !

You sound like a perfect example ! You were going to party and figure out how to do it...... apparently your parents weren't involved enough to be aware of your highly set goals in life at that time then did they. And you obviously were not comfortable enough with them to openly talk about life either by the sound of it.

And you have to be psycho to want to be around your kids 24/7...... If I had to be around mine 24/7, I'D be using drugs...... not them !

Like strawflower says too, sometimes it doesn't matter what you do..... it will be what it will be no matter the influence. That's just the way it is, but not something I would hang my hat on all the time either !

Old 08-31-2010, 04:21 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,462,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Meth seems to be more of a rural thing, or in the mid west and south. Really isn't a problem here, heroin is the big issue here.
Heroin's always been big in the Northeast.

Meth isn't that big in the Northeast. More cocaine and crack than meth there.

The West (both the West Coast and the Mountain West) are much more oriented towards meth, although heroin is making a comeback.It's always been there in California, but heroin use goes through peaks and waves ; there are heroin epidemics followed by periods in which it's less popular and there aren't any new junkies. Although the entire period from the late '70s until the mid '90s was a giant heroin epidemic in California, the late '90s and '00s seemed to see less use. Now it's on the rise again.

As for the NYC Metro area: I don't think heroin's EVER not been big there at least since the '60s (and, if you lived in a ghetto area, since Charlie Parker's day)

Old 08-31-2010, 05:30 PM

22,096 posts, read 19,303,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Heroin's always been big in the Northeast.

Meth isn't that big in the Northeast. More cocaine and crack than meth there.

The West (both the West Coast and the Mountain West) are much more oriented towards meth, although heroin is making a comeback.It's always been there in California, but heroin use goes through peaks and waves ; there are heroin epidemics followed by periods in which it's less popular and there aren't any new junkies. Although the entire period from the late '70s until the mid '90s was a giant heroin epidemic in California, the late '90s and '00s seemed to see less use. Now it's on the rise again.

As for the NYC Metro area: I don't think heroin's EVER not been big there at least since the '60s (and, if you lived in a ghetto area, since Charlie Parker's day)
Heroin depends a bit on the area. It has always been around pretty much all over the northeast, but was primarily an inner-city thing for many years. When I was in high school (graduated in 2000 from a mostly middle class to some upper middle class area) heroin wasn't much of an issue, though Cocaine was pretty big. Now that area (Massapeua) has been one of the heroin hot spots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies