Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 05:16 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,830,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
He is "working with" a majority in both the house and the senate, so how do the "Pubs" cause him any issues? You do understand how all that majority thing goes, right?

Also, you also must not understand that this strategy in Iraq was planned and put in place while Bush was still in office. Obama had little to nothing to do with it. Jeez, read a paper sometime.
You do understand that now it pretty much requires a super majority in the Senate, to get anything done. As long as Repubs refuse to work on problems, that will be the case. Also, Obama is taking credit for doing what he said he would. Get out of there responsibly, as quickly as we can. That is something, even Bush, finally recognized as a necessity. It was obviously a mistake to go there in the first place, but admitting mistakes is not part of very many politician's character.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2010, 07:02 AM

1,609 posts, read 1,077,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
I have always been supportive of our military. I have never been supportive of using them inappropriately. The Iraq War, was inappropriate. The enemy was, and is, in Afghanistan. I do not think it is appropriate to try to force our ideologies on another nation. What should be done, is take out the terrorists, wherever they are, and keep doing that until there are no more terrorists. We should not be Nation building, we should be defending ourselves.
IMHO, the only mistake we made in reference to Iraq is that we did not go all the way into Iraq and take care of Saddam Hussain and his government when he invaded Kuwait and we pushed him back. I believe if we had done that we might have shortened the time and cost of the conflict in Iraq.

But, having said that and having been a student of Middle Eastern culture and politics for nearly 50 years in my dedication and experiences with breeding the Arabian horse all those years plus having gone to the Middle Eastern countries and having many friends there within the Arabian horse circles, I know in my gut that the only way to stop the spread of radical Islamic terrorists is to go in and whip a**. They ONLY respect strength...diplomacy is a show of weakness to them. It is imperative that any and all battles with these radical idiots take place "OFF OUR SHORES."

Or...would you rather have a gun at the front door and bomb seeking dogs or tracer equipment to go outside your house? Think about it!

Last edited by lorrysda; 09-02-2010 at 07:23 AM..

Old 09-02-2010, 07:21 AM

1,609 posts, read 1,077,698 times
Quote:
You do understand that now it pretty much requires a super majority in the Senate, to get anything done. As long as Repubs refuse to work on problems, that will be the case. Also, Obama is taking credit for doing what he said he would. Get out of there responsibly, as quickly as we can. That is something, even Bush, finally recognized as a necessity. It was obviously a mistake to go there in the first place, but admitting mistakes is not part of very many politician's character.
Yes, exactly the reverse of the same problem the last administration had when they sent down orders to Congress to do something about Freddy Mac and Fannie May "BEFORE" the housing mess. Democrats in the Senate blocked any correction and said these two god-awful government created entities were "just fine" and had the "best leadership/CEO" in the country.

Then there is the fact that when the Dems TOOK OVER the Congress, the economy started down hill and the housing mess exploded...UNDER THE DEMS because they would not listen to the then-administrations warnings and directions.

This idea that this economic mess was "created" by Bush is crap...it was created by the 2006 - 08 and compounded by 08 to present Democratic majority.

Old 09-02-2010, 10:52 AM

2,085 posts, read 2,466,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Is that what Bush was doing? 'Cause HE sure didn't win the war.
It was Bush's surge that helped. Obama did nothing. I don't like war anymore than you do, however, sometimes it is necessary. I am glad Saddam is gone. I am always glad when people like him and his sons are gone. Brownie points is all Obama cares about, not people.

Old 09-02-2010, 06:20 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,152,625 times
Quote:

I doubt the people who's lives have been dramatically improved in Iraq would agree that freeing them was a mistake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies