Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 10:02 AM

3,562 posts, read 5,223,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Sorry, it does not work that way, I do not live my life a certain way just so you can keep your stereotypes and your straw men. There is bartering for a fair and equitable wage, and then there are unions like the UAW or the California School Employees Association (CSEA).

And I don't live my life my way so that people like you can continuously make moves toward privatization. People did the right thing. They made the right arrangements for pensions and stayed for a very long time to retire. They did not go along with putting it into a gambling machine. They have, depending on where you are at, paid for continuing education on their own dime and time. They have jumped hoops for testing that doesn't do much and costs billions of dollars. They have kept there mouths shut even when idiocy hits the stage.

Here is a thought, stop the welfare to the religious organizations and the write-offs for the major corporations and have those at the top take the cuts as well. Create and manage a criteria for those religious organizations that get funding. And there might be money to spare. I promise you, you will not nail those at the top, you will strike those at the bottom.

But don't come to me with straw arguments and stereotypes to support a continuous movement to the privatization of the education system or any other public sector. Or waste my time on the testing which is always front and center stage and swallowed by the public w/o much thought.

And as long as the Republicans continue to spew out the ancient rhetoric of free market blah, blah, blah, which is merely stating: maintain the status quo----they deserve to get smacked.

Old 09-01-2010, 10:08 AM

9,644 posts, read 9,842,040 times
EDITORIAL: Unions first, troops last

EDITORIAL: Unions first, troops last - Washington Times

Old 09-01-2010, 10:10 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,614,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trucker7 View Post
I don't think that Tea Partiers hate union members. They hate the union itself and the greedy leaders that run them. The unions have drifted too far from their original objectives, which were fair wages and work conditions. Instead, they've become puppets of the Democrat party, championing causes such as abortion, gun control, opposition to the war in Iraq, etc., without asking the rank and file union members whether they agree with it or not.
Very good distinction to make. It's easy to take shots at a distance and say us evil conservatives hate so and so...

Old 09-01-2010, 10:15 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,521,957 times
Default Why do so many tea partiers hate union members?

Easy...

Their corporate mouthpieces (Limbaugh, Hannity, Beck, etc.) tell them to. It's SO much easier than thinking.

Old 09-01-2010, 10:17 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,032,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arus View Post
My mom was non-union and she would always complain about paying union dues.

Makes no sense to me.
To me either, since your mom never complained about receiving union wages and benefits, just the dues that paid for them.

Old 09-01-2010, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
They hate union members becouse of the fact that they are a rightwing organisation and right wingers hate unions they are stooges for big business and the wealthy and they have been that ever since Dick armey founded the Tea party.
That's the hysterical part, they clamor about getting their country back when the folks who bought it lock stock and barrel are the same folks they bend over backwards to defend.

Old 09-01-2010, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
The UAW sure as hell spread the profits around, in fact they did such a great job that their were not enough profits for GM and Chrysler to stay in business.
If you had any clue about the collective bargaining history between GM and the UAW you would know that when GM finally came clean about their actual profits and expenditures, the UAW bent over backwards giving GM concessions on their contract. But that came so late in the game after years of acrimony and distrust spawned by GM's management, acrimony and distrust that was never necessary, that it is hard to blame the UAW for demanding all that they could get out of GM.

Old 09-01-2010, 10:34 AM

37,959 posts, read 22,134,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamonium View Post
And I don't live my life my way so that people like you can continuously make moves toward privatization.
That is nonsense, are we are all supposed to work for government, with no private sector? Maybe in your Utopia we all work for the state, with our wages and pensions are controlled by politically motivated unions, but it certainly is not mine.

Quote:
People did the right thing. They made the right arrangements for pensions and stayed for a very long time to retire. They did not go along with putting it into a gambling machine. They have, depending on where you are at, paid for continuing education on their own dime and time. They have jumped hoops for testing that doesn't do much and costs billions of dollars. They have kept there mouths shut even when idiocy hits the stage.
They sure did, the union members who bankrupted GM and Chrysler got their golden parachutes, and who cares about the financial mess they left behind, because they got theirs.

Quote:
But don't come to me with straw arguments and stereotypes to support a continuous movement to the privatization of the education system or any other public sector. Or waste my time on the testing which is always front and center stage and swallowed by the public w/o much thought.
I presented no stereotypes, I gave you facts, California's public employee unions are bankrupting the state, and GM and Chrysler were bankrupted by them.

Our high school drop out rates have skyrocketed and compared to the rest of the world our test scores have fallen. Going the private school route and diminishing public schools may be a good idea for some areas.

Quote:
And as long as the Republicans continue to spew out the ancient rhetoric of free market blah, blah, blah, which is merely stating: maintain the status quo----they deserve to get smacked.
Either we have a free market, or we have some form of Marxism, i'd rather be free, and you are free to move to Cuba, and live your dream.

Old 09-01-2010, 10:37 AM

3,562 posts, read 5,223,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
EDITORIAL: Unions first, troops last

EDITORIAL: Unions first, troops last - Washington Times
Quote:
The legislation gives firefighter unions the power they have long sought to extinguish the unpaid competition of volunteer firefighters.

Anolther fine group that needs to go-volunteeer firefighters.

Quote:
The Fraternal Order of Police has thrown its weight behind the labor provision as a "top priority," as it obviously would generate new members and revenue

Does this mean that we would actually have more cops on the street and we can get rid of the furlough days? So that the cops aren't leaving one district to nail another?

Old 09-01-2010, 10:52 AM

37,959 posts, read 22,134,270 times
Quote:

Anolther fine group that needs to go-volunteeer firefighters.

Does this mean that we would actually have more cops on the street and we can get rid of the furlough days? So that the cops aren't leaving one district to nail another?
I'm not shocked at all that democrats want to insert tens of billions in giveaways for green energy and unions, in an appropriations bill to fund the war.

If there is one thing the democrats have contributed to the new political lexicon over the past two years, is that when it comes to pork and wasteful spending, the "trillion" is the new "billion", and the "billion" is the new "million,".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies