Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 06:48 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,742,791 times

Advertisements

I don't even share your opinion, but even if we assume some of those companies will go out of business, isn't that what conservatives (I assume you are one given your remarks on liberals) say the economy is about? Supply and demand? Who doesn't adapt to changing demand deserves to go out of business and others will take their places?

And why does the state interfere? Well, because taking care of the environment is part of its job. That is why you have the EPA...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2010, 07:05 AM

7,331 posts, read 15,385,654 times
Plastic bags are a serious problem, whether in our streams or making their way out to one of the massive trash islands forming in our oceans.

Maybe legislation isn't the way. To me, it's a matter of personal responsibility. I don't know when it became a BAD thing to not generate a ton of unnecessary garbage. In fact, I think the whole backlash against things like using less fuel, not using plastic trash bags, reducing electricity consumption, considering the impact of your food choices, etc., is one of the most childish things on this planet. I get that no one likes to be told what to do, but there was a time when personal responsibility was more than just a fiscal concept.

So maybe we don't need laws to make our society stop acting like a bunch of short-sighted slobbish nimrods. I just don't know that we're particularly good at changing bad habits as long as those habits are convenient.

Old 09-01-2010, 07:15 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,742,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
Plastic bags are a serious problem, whether in our streams or making their way out to one of the massive trash islands forming in our oceans.

Maybe legislation isn't the way. To me, it's a matter of personal responsibility. I don't know when it became a BAD thing to not generate a ton of unnecessary garbage. In fact, I think the whole backlash against things like using less fuel, not using plastic trash bags, reducing electricity consumption, considering the impact of your food choices, etc., is one of the most childish things on this planet. I get that no one likes to be told what to do, but there was a time when personal responsibility was more than just a fiscal concept.

So maybe we don't need laws to make our society stop acting like a bunch of short-sighted slobbish nimrods. I just don't know that we're particularly good at changing bad habits as long as those habits are convenient.
Good post. I don't think such laws would even be considered if politicians did not realize there is a problem.
When the catalytic converter was introduced, there was a huge air pollution problem. People knew about it, still, they did not drive less or go by bike or train instead.
People indeed do not like to change when it means having to make sacrifices. Even if they are realistic enough to realize there is a problem, they tend to think may others change, I am just one person so it won't matter if I carry on like before.

Old 09-01-2010, 07:18 AM

17,410 posts, read 14,637,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I don't even share your opinion, but even if we assume some of those companies will go out of business, isn't that what conservatives (I assume you are one given your remarks on liberals) say the economy is about? Supply and demand? Who doesn't adapt to changing demand deserves to go out of business and others will take their places?

And why does the state interfere? Well, because taking care of the environment is part of its job. That is why you have the EPA...
That would be rigging the system and not true supply and demand.

Old 09-01-2010, 07:18 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,930,375 times
The whole thing is rather silly. Why don't the retail stores just get to gether and agree among themselves not to use plastic bags or each store make a decision based on its own conscience? That IS the way it should be done rather than another law.

The people of California don't HAVE to take plastic bags, they can request recycled paper or take their own shopping bag.

Old 09-01-2010, 07:20 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,906,017 times
If California politicians were smart, they would have imposed a tax on each bag. The State is broke and they overlooked this potential revenue source!

Old 09-01-2010, 07:25 AM

45,225 posts, read 26,437,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Good post. I don't think such laws would even be considered if politicians did not realize there is a problem.
When the catalytic converter was introduced, there was a huge air pollution problem. People knew about it, still, they did not drive less or go by bike or train instead.
People indeed do not like to change when it means having to make sacrifices. Even if they are realistic enough to realize there is a problem, they tend to think may others change, I am just one person so it won't matter if I carry on like before.
Catalytic converters vs. plastic bags, is not a very relevant comparison.
In the 70's consumers were not offered a car with pollution controls or without.

People have a choice to use the bags or not or to recycle the bags that they do use and also to voice their opinions to the retailers that rely on them (i.e no likee, no shopee there).

You actually rely on politicians for an education as to what is good vs. bad based on their legislative agenda?

Old 09-01-2010, 07:25 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,168,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post

You took the words right out of my mouth.

While I understand that a plastic bag company can't just magically *poof* their plant into one that does fabric or paper bags... that's just an insane amount of money of work to expect of a lowly company. Though, how much work would it take to change out the type of plastic? Biodegradable Plastic Bags.

Old 09-01-2010, 07:36 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,190,154 times
Looking at the financial mess in the state of California, one would think the state legislators would be too busy working on that to waste time on "pc" things.

But, that's California.

Maybe that's why the state is in such a financial mess.
Spending too much time on political correctness instead of the budget.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies