Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 02:08 AM

31,387 posts, read 36,970,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
To be honest I've never known anyone IRL who described themselves this way.
If IRL is suppose to stand for Irish, I have to agree with you, because most Irish-Americans just drop the American part completely! As in, kiss me because I'm Irish!

Meanwhile...

Irish American Heritage Center

Irish American News Online

Irish America | IrishCentral

Irish American Heritage Museum - Home Page

Irish American Post

I can't be bother with the other 32,000,000 results for Irish American

Old 09-02-2010, 02:12 AM

37,091 posts, read 42,088,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
If IRL is suppose to stand for Irish, I have to agree with you, because most Irish-Americans just drop the American part completely! As in, kiss me because I'm Irish!

Meanwhile...

Irish American Heritage Center

Irish American News Online

Irish America | IrishCentral

Irish American Heritage Museum - Home Page

Irish American Post

I can't be bother with the other 32,000,000 results for Irish American
Heh. In Real Life.
I do think that the best use for the "hyphen" is if you are describing groups like this though. For example; instead of saying "Irish", which would lead you to believe it was for/about folks in Ireland, "Irish American" describes the local.

Old 09-02-2010, 04:00 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,333,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suprascooby22 View Post
I figured I would ask since so many of the posters on here use the term African-American, Asian-American etc.. In my opinion if you are not originally from Africa or Asia, or Latin America then shut up! How ridiculous would be if all non minorities started calling themselves Russian-Americans or Irish-American or in my case a Irish-English American. Point being either your an American and just an American or you have a serious identity problem. These terms continue to seperate us by our skin color, race or national origin. I think most people would agree that there is far to much of that going on without adding the hyphenated-American crap to it. Just one "Americans" opinion though.
Good points. Now if we can just solve the designations of "black" and "white" that started so long ago and persist today.

Old 09-02-2010, 04:04 AM

646 posts, read 393,002 times
anyone who uses a hyphen in their name is odd to me. I have some friends on facebook who get married, and hyphenate their name rather than change it. then they have kids with idiotic names, like jayden jacob-williams. kid names today are ridiculous enough without the torture of a hyphen.

Old 09-02-2010, 07:08 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,266,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by independentsucka View Post
anyone who uses a hyphen in their name is odd to me. I have some friends on facebook who get married, and hyphenate their name rather than change it. then they have kids with idiotic names, like jayden jacob-williams. kid names today are ridiculous enough without the torture of a hyphen.

Old 09-02-2010, 07:11 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,283,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
Good points. Now if we can just solve the designations of "black" and "white" that started so long ago and persist today.
Tell you what! Lets get the marriage rate between Black Americans and White Americans up to about 50% and as a result you'd have so many kids that are a combination of both that people just stopped giving a damn?

Problem solved!

Old 09-02-2010, 07:43 AM

31,288 posts, read 20,684,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Fat-Americans would cover about 90% of the population.

Yes, but under my plan you could only have one hyphen.

Old 09-02-2010, 09:18 AM

3,727 posts, read 7,018,777 times
I am American. No hyphen necessary.

(and if I ever marry again, I'm keeping MY name!)

Old 09-02-2010, 11:03 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,580,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Right. My goal in life is to make sure every make, model, and color feels accepted.

No thanks. My advice to those American's is get off your ass and contribute to society in a meaningful way. That's how it works here in America. I refuse to be the Coddler of Feelings.

Tell that to my father and uncles, five who fought in WWII while the German POWs they were guarding were being treated better than they were. Tell that to my uncle (1st Lt, Tuskegee Airman) who was killed in action at 20.

I refuse to deal with the bullshyt espoused by right-wing bigots who have no clue about American history. Coddle that.

Old 09-02-2010, 11:06 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,580,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
As these two philosophically different Presidents point out, a hyphenated American is just another means of expressing anti-Americanism.

Got to love the hypocritical statements of Presidents who allowed segregation to continue unabated in the military and throughout society in general. Nothing more anti-American and unAmerican than Jim Crow..........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies