Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 10:01 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,121,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
she had an advantage in that she spoke English (unlike the other guy) and was very loud. Other than that, she doesn't know what she's talkin bout.
She spoke the facts. Look back to earlier pages in this thread. I was curious about her facts so I looked them up. Low and behold, a Washington Post article touted the very same facts that she did. It's a good read, you should check it out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2010, 10:06 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,999,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
She spoke the facts. Look back to earlier pages in this thread. I was curious about her facts so I looked them up. Low and behold, a Washington Post article touted the very same facts that she did. It's a good read, you should check it out.
I don't doubt that there may be truth to it. But I wonder if it can all be blamed on Great Society policies. As conservatives are fond of saying, it takes a Congress to make laws too. Republicans had power in the Congress for 12 years. Why didn't they change this?

Old 09-01-2010, 10:10 PM

4,814 posts, read 3,843,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
This chick rocks!!! Anyone know her name so we can get a facebook page for her to run for office?

Old 09-01-2010, 10:28 PM

3,135 posts, read 3,781,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post

I told my wife that if we weren't already married, she'd be on my list She says she understands It's funny how those people just walk away.....guessing the truth hurts

Old 09-01-2010, 10:34 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,180,466 times
She is after my heart - and black too? Is it hot in here or is it just me?

I posted about that issue in the Great Debates forum on how the black family was progressing just fine up until welfare came into play. The young lady is on target. It's good to hear that we are slowly snapping out our collective hypnosis.

Old 09-01-2010, 10:35 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,121,445 times
Quote:
I don't doubt that there may be truth to it. But I wonder if it can all be blamed on Great Society policies. As conservatives are fond of saying, it takes a Congress to make laws too. Republicans had power in the Congress for 12 years. Why didn't they change this?
That's a good question. What I found particularly interesting is that after the Great Society, as Black male employment opportunities increased, Black female wedlock births increased proportionally. As the article mentions, it shattered every notion that economic opportunity provides family stability. In fact, the opposite occurred in the Black community. I'd be interested in hearing how and why the apparent influx of income for Black males contributed to a declining desire to wed the mother of their children.

Old 09-01-2010, 10:39 PM

Quote:
They did - it was called welfare reform where there was a time limit enforced on how long benefits could be received. Women who went back to work actually said it was good for them. Obama removed welfare reform.

President Obama Ends Welfare Reform

President Barack Obama has effectively ended the Welfare Reform which began in 1996. Most Americans don't even know he's done it, because the liberal national news media doesn't want to report it. After all, for most in the liberal media the true mission is to support Obama all the time and never print anything derogatory about him. In fact, he has greatly expanded Welfare, according to Conservative Policy Research and Analysis | The Heritage Foundation --adding $800 billion in new spending over the next decade.

1996 - Republicans were in control of Congress.

Old 09-01-2010, 10:43 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
the race card is coming out of the woodwork it used not just on silas marner-- but now on government departments, abortion, farmer bureau, just about anything. this is not insane it is sensible, civil rights law trumps criminal and laws of commerce. it cuts thru tons of government regulations and rules.
it is the natural tool to use for change. little did LBJ realize he had created a WMD that would walk over all other law.

Old 09-01-2010, 10:44 PM

Quote:
she had an advantage in that she spoke English (unlike the other guy) and was very loud. Other than that, she doesn't know what she's talkin bout.
Loud? Sounds like she took a page of the liberal playbook. Next time, she needs to have some tea party thugs to beat up some people.

Old 09-01-2010, 11:16 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,300,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
This is where you're wrong. I do care, I just don't care on the individual level, I care on the macro level. I want to see everyone succeed. I want to see a strong nation that is not hobbled by entitlements. I want to see all demographics to rise up and put whatever ails them behind them. And this starts with individual personal responsibility. As long as government handouts are available, there will be a certain segment of society who will milk that system dry while contributing absolutely nothing to society. My concerns have nothing to do with not liking or wanting to get to know Black American's are Black Culture. My concerns are that the statistics that plague the Black community are statistics that drag this nation further and further down.

Don't pretend you know what I care about.
People make statistics, if you don't care about individuals then your caring just doesn't mean a whole lot in terms of actually improving the problem. But it’s informative to know you only care about people on a “macro” level. Thanks for sharing
The two biggest entitlement programs in the country are Social Security and Medicare. They take the majority of non-discretionary budget of the federal government. There is nothing that even comes close. Your caring about entitlements is much better focused on those areas.

Also by focusing ONLY on Black Americans in terms of poverty your energies are totally misguided:

http://www.urban.org/UploadedPDF/411...landethnic.pdf

If you look on the chart on page 5: Low-Income Families by Race and Ethnicity, 2008

SINCE YOU CARE ABOUT STATISTICS

White families make up 42% of the total of low income families at 5.674 million

Hispanic families make up 30% of the total of low income families at 4.028 million

Black families make up 22% of the total of low income families at 2.908

Families described as other make of 6% of low income families at 679,000

If you truly want EVERBODY to succeed then STOP focusing on poverty BY RACE. Only 22% of all low income families are black.

If you want EVERYBODY to succeed then by all rights you should advocate for better schools for EVERYBODY. By far the single biggest determining factor in reducing poverty is EDUCATION.

If America is going to get out of this tailspin we face some serious and hard choices. One thing is for sure if this country doesn't improve its education system and put a concerted national effort behind educating ALL AMERICANS it will continue to lose its ability to compete in an increasingly competitive global economic environment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies