Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 08:36 PM

5,915 posts, read 4,810,896 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post
He may not have sounded extreme (although what's middle of the road about calling Americans people bitterly clinging to their God and guns, or even spreading the wealth), but there was plenty of evidence of who he actually was for those willing to see it.
Oh, I don't disagree with you at all. I actually took him for what he was right after listening to his campaign promises for the first time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2010, 08:38 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,817,332 times
Quote:
I'm not talked about the "professional left." I'm talking about independents and Democrats who are angry he's pursuing the policies he's pursuing. If you paid any attention at all you'd know he'd do all this at the very least. Why are these people angry at Obama for being Obama?
the moderates and those just left of center heard the words fiscal responsibility, social justice, economic justice, hope and change. but they did NOT listen to what he was saying. they did not listen when he told joe the plumber that he wanted joe to succeed, but he also wanted those behind joe to succeed. which means redistribution of wealth. they thought obama was going to really change the culture of washington, well he did, to the culture of chicago. they believed him when he talked of cutting the budget, and talking about fiscal responsibility, and that no ones taxes for people making under $250k would be raised.

he made grandiose claims that if you like your doctor, and your current insurance policy, you could keep them, and that his health care plan would lower costs.

then he turns around and pushes through a stimulus package that did nothing to create or even save jobs, and then he pushes through a health care reform law that will increase costs above what would have occurred normally, raises taxes on all things medical, and will not be budget neutral. and if your health care plan does not meet the government standards, you will have to change it even though you like it.

people were tired of the spending of the bush administration, and yet the obama administration has tripled bush spending.

Old 09-02-2010, 09:11 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,565,220 times
I don't know why people are so surprised either, I knew right from the beginning what he was all about. I guess many people in this country are more naive than I thought.

Old 09-02-2010, 09:15 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,817,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I don't know why people are so surprised either, I knew right from the beginning what he was all about. I guess many people in this country are more naive than I thought.
not naive so much as mad at bush, and uninformed.

Old 09-02-2010, 09:25 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,186,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
not naive so much as mad at bush, and uninformed.
Don't forget having no viable alternative either.

Old 09-02-2010, 09:33 PM

5,915 posts, read 4,810,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Don't forget having no viable alternative either.
McCain gained 46% of the nationwide popular vote. So many saw him as an alternative.

Old 09-02-2010, 09:45 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,810,437 times
If you weven watched the democrtic bioard meet what you saw was the left and Obama basiclly move the clinton centralist of the party out of power.Thye left is made up of the pelosi and toher left specail interest who main goals are their social agenda and wealth sharing. but they seem to have forgot that you have to have someone to produce that wealth. What they did was make even average americans start to eliminate debt and stop spending because of teh unceertain future and the lack of any proigress with spending. They sold the stimulus as a massive infrastructure spending with massive number of jobs. In teh end what they did was payoff most of it to their specail interest groups with few real jobs.Bascailly people save when they expect bad times in the future. mnay think the adminsitrtion ploices mean just that especailly seeing the national debt explode under it.Mnay don't worry about ti has long just as they never did with their finances in the past.

Old 09-02-2010, 09:51 PM

5,821 posts, read 5,301,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
People saw in Obama what they wanted to see and hear, not what the reality was (the reality being he's a far-left extremist without the experience and abilities needed to do a good job).
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Basically because his politcal rethroic during the campaign to different speical interest in promises to make their cause a pioroty was believed by them. If something sounds to good to be true ;it probably is.

The fact is, people wanted what he was saying, or what they thought he was saying. They thought he was charismatic, glib, educated, and a great orator. And, he is all those things. They fell in love with an idea. Utopia, and it is unatainable.

He just doesn't know what he is doing.

Old 09-02-2010, 10:00 PM

4,814 posts, read 3,842,057 times
Quote:
He may not have sounded extreme (although what's middle of the road about calling Americans people bitterly clinging to their God and guns, or even spreading the wealth), but there was plenty of evidence of who he actually was for those willing to see it.
Post of the Day!!! Thank you! Everything we studied ended up being spot on. Too bad others were not willing to listen.

Old 09-02-2010, 10:00 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,291,348 times
Quote:
... and that no ones taxes for people making under $250k would be raised.
Are you talking about the tobacco tax?

Quote:
he made grandiose claims that if you like your doctor, and your current insurance policy, you could keep them
You can keep your policy. Most people with existing plans won't even qualify for a new policy.

Quote:
then he turns around and pushes through a stimulus package that did nothing to create or even save jobs, and then he pushes through a health care reform law that will increase costs above what would have occurred normally, raises taxes on all things medical, and will not be budget neutral. and if your health care plan does not meet the government standards, you will have to change it even though you like it.
The success or failure of the stimulus is still a highly debated issue. I think it's too early to tell and some conservatives admit that it probably saved jobs. Was it worth it? I don't know. But to say that it did nothing is unfair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies