U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 06:55 AM

8,950 posts, read 10,190,912 times

Advertisements

In this radio interview: WallBuilders - LIVE!

former House Speaker Newt Gingrich supports bypassing the local government of NYC, and in a move that is a huge blow to states rights and land rights, wants the congress to declare lower Manhattan a National Battlefield to prevent the building of the Cordoba Islamic Community Center near the Ground Zero site.

When is the right going to stop supporting big government, and taking away our freedoms?

Or maybe they're just hypocrites...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2010, 07:10 AM

20,021 posts, read 15,741,654 times
b-b-b-b-b-b-ut Obamatrons told me he's conservative?

Typical Newt, a progressive in conservative clothing.

YouTube - Nancy Pelosi and Newt Gingrich Agree on Climate Change

Old 09-03-2010, 07:47 AM

69,372 posts, read 55,544,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post

former House Speaker Newt Gingrich supports bypassing the local government of NYC, and in a move that is a huge blow to states rights and land rights, wants the congress to declare lower Manhattan a National Battlefield to prevent the building of the Cordoba Islamic Community Center near the Ground Zero site.

When is the right going to stop supporting big government, and taking away our freedoms?

Your joking right?

Old 09-03-2010, 07:50 AM

22,769 posts, read 26,240,462 times
i haven't listened to it, am downloading now.

but if it is true then i agree, that is hypocritical of Gingrich. he talked about federalism for years, until you get a hot button religious issue for the red states who want to intervene in a blue state. the federal gov't shouldn't try to push around NYC over this issue.

so far the audio show is not very impressive. people talking about "foreign law being imposed on the united states", and such. Gingrich's argument is basically that we should suspend our tolerance of religion because Saudi Arabia won't allow churches.

they argue that the NYC mosque thing, is akin to "Cordoba" in spain, and a "statement of triumphalism". Let's say that it is... so what?? I believe in a broad interpretation of 'free speech,' and I think what Gingrich is suggesting blatantly contradicts the intent of the constitution.

Last edited by le roi; 09-03-2010 at 08:05 AM..

Old 09-03-2010, 07:51 AM

16,133 posts, read 20,841,272 times
Quote:

Newt has lots of Stupid Ideas, for those of us who remember when he shut down the government, cost billions accomplished zero. Of course he's for Federal takeover whenever local governments don't do it his way

Old 09-03-2010, 07:51 AM

86,093 posts, read 72,575,594 times
Every politician condones bypassing laws when it suits their benefit.

Old 09-03-2010, 10:10 AM

4,814 posts, read 3,271,759 times
Quote:

Gingrich said that Congress has the "ability" to declare the area a National Battlefield Memorial. What are the legal ramifications involved with that? It doesn't sound like he is wanting to go outside of the law on this. If they have the "ablility", it doesn't appear that Gingrich is wanting to bypass anything.

I believe those that were against the mosque were surprised that the Burlington Coat Factory was not given landmark status because of the piece of landing gear that went through the roof. They now consider that to be a part of Ground Zero and I agree on that point.

Newt also stated, but didn't elaborate, that there were other steps that could be taken. I can't find any information on what other steps these could be and what legal direction could be used for those steps.

But, IMO, Newt sounds like he is wanting to secure the area by any legal means available. I am with him on that.

We are finding out that the mosque investor has made contributions to Hamas. We are engaged in a global war, as Newt has said, and we need to keep our eyes focused on that issue.

There is more to this mosque being built than simply a religious freedom.

Breitbart.tv Mosque Investor Made Contribution to Hamas

Old 09-03-2010, 10:20 AM

4,814 posts, read 3,271,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
b-b-b-b-b-b-ut Obamatrons told me he's conservative?

Typical Newt, a progressive in conservative clothing.

YouTube - Nancy Pelosi and Newt Gingrich Agree on Climate Change
I think that a good many people believed in the Global Warming phenomena before it started unraveling, Newt included.

A report was out that NOAA was still supporting that there is global warming, but many forget to add the sentence from their website, "The warming has not been globally uniform. Some areas (including parts of the southeastern U.S. and parts of the North Atlantic) have, in fact, cooled slightly over the last century."

Anyway, I don't fault Newt. The liars behind the movement sounded very convincing. Well, I never believed anything Al Gore has ever said. LOL!

Old 02-09-2011, 11:03 AM

3 posts, read 7,278 times
our constitution wasnt created for evil people to come here and take over

Old 02-09-2011, 11:05 AM

29,785 posts, read 16,472,432 times
Newt is a pretender.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or