Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 09:43 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,625,398 times

Advertisements

Appreciating white Christians.

I misread this and thought someone was thinking of Christmas early. A white Christmas where we live is about a 2% possibility.

I think you have a wonderful idea for a thread and it was the ancestors of myself and my husband that did these things and I am so tired of hearing people bellyache about them. They should be appreciated, but I won't hold my breath until it happens. I appreciate them though and as much as our government is abused by freeloaders, it is still the best country in the world to live in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2010, 10:01 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,480,960 times
All I want is a White Christmas and i will be thankfull

Old 09-09-2010, 02:26 AM

38,643 posts, read 26,371,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan in san diego View Post
I seriously appreciate your zeal but you are devoid of facts in some cases. The founders did not in any way believe in liberty for all. Blacks and women and Original Folks were specifically excluded. White Christians didn't end slavery, they caused it and supported it based on some devilish uses of Scripture. The first abolitionists,beside Thomas Paine, were blacks. When the white Christian abolitionists came along they were paternalistic and controlling. The Northern soldiers didn't fight to end slavery, the 180,000 black soldiers did. Even Lincoln acknowledged that they were the reason the North won the War of Rebellion. Yet it took until the late '60s for those rights as citizens to reach full effect. And it was the Christian Southern whites, who fought that process all the way. The Southern Baptist Church issued an apology for slavery in 1995, 140 years after the fact. And they did it as part of a new effort to evangelize blacks. Liars, Pharisees and hypocrites.

We all applaud you for your love for this country. Try reading some African-American and Native American history. You'll get a better picture.

One blanket statement after another.

I'm not sure how you can say the Founders agreed on something like slavery when they really didn't agree on much of anything. But it really doesn't matter because the American Revolution was long after the anti-slavery movement had begun in Colonial America. The first abolitionists "besides Thomas Paine" were Christian Quaker John Woolman, Puritan Samuel Sewall and Puritan Minister Cotton Mather, among others. Judge Sewall published The Selling of Joseph in 1700. Paine, along with the other Founders, weren't even born at the time. The oldest Founder (Franklin) was born in 1706.

Sample Chapter for Lowance, M.I., Jr., ed.: A House Divided: The Antebellum Slavery Debates in America, 1776-1865.

Interesting to note, not all the founders agreed of slavery, not all blacks opposed slavery and the non-religious of all stripes came down on both sides as well. All three groups owned slaves of African decent at some point in time.

The census of 1830 lists 965 free black slave owners in Louisiana, owning 4,206 slaves. In 1860, at least six blacks in Louisiana owned 65 or more slaves. A widow Richards and her son, P.C. Richards, who owned a large sugar-cane plantation, owned the largest number of slaves at 152. Another Negro slave magnate in Louisiana, with more than 100 slaves,...

Bill Ward column: The legacy of John Hope Franklin | Salisbury, NC - Salisbury Post (http://www.salisburypost.com/Opinion/061509-edit-ward-col-franklin - broken link)

"The Northern soldiers didn't fight to end slavery, the 180,000 black soldiers did."

How do you know what anyone's motivations were? Did you ask them?

Seems you're dead certain of your "facts" if they happen to fit your anti-white storyline.

The measure did nothing to stop the destruction of the Confederacy. Several thousand blacks were enlisted in the Rebel cause, but they could not begin to balance out the nearly 200,000 blacks that fought for the Union.

Confederacy approves black soldiers — History.com This Day in History — 3/13/1865

Perhaps you could enlighten us to the motives of the "several thousand" blacks who enlisted in the faltering Confederate Army.

Old 09-09-2010, 10:48 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,336,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KsStorm View Post
Ever do any research on John Brown? Didn't think so.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
As for the OP,

I personally don't believe religion belongs in politics. But actually, yes, most ( notice I didn't say ALL< before you get your panties in a wad,those of you who are prone to that) of the inventions & scientific work of this country was originally by white Europeans, and a lot of them were Christian. It's a fact, even if some people are racist about whites. I don't why the OP felt the need to make a thread on it, unless he is sick of seeing all the constant bashing of whites here on CD. I get pretty sick of it too.
And that would be because prior to the 20th Century, only white, male Europeans (who were mostly Christian) had unfettered access to the education/means necessary to produce inventions and scientific work. All others were disenfranchised and oppressed, which pretty much accounts for their lack of accomplishments.

Old 09-09-2010, 10:52 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,615,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by independentsucka View Post
a couple problems with this statement. thomas jefferson was a deist, not a christian, and I'm pretty sure abraham lincoln was an atheist, or at least an agnostic. quite a few of our founding fathers were nowhere near christians.
And a lot of them were Christians.

Old 09-09-2010, 10:55 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,693,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edub View Post
With all the bashing I see in this forum, is there anything for which white Christians deserve our gratitude?

I would like to start by thanking them for creating this great Country of ours in which we have the freedom to express ourselves.

I would like to thank them for inventing the idea that all men are endowed by their creator with certain inalienable rights.

I would like to thank them for building a truly exceptional Nation that has done more to advance the cause of freedom and democracy than any other.

I would like to thank them for ending slavery even though it existed since the dawn of man.

I would like to thank them for inviting my family to immigrate into their great nation and for giving us equal rights - something they are not obligated to do and something few others will.

I would like to thank them for giving my people safe haven in the face of near extinction and for providing opportunity for us to realize the dream they invented.

I'm sure there are so many more things we should all be thanking them for and I hope every poster adds to this list. It is easy to complain that we are in some way denied the rights conceived of by the white Christians that were our founding fathers. But while lodging our complaints, let us not forget that these great men were under no obligation what so ever to extend these rights to others. The Framers could have just as easily worded the Constitution so that only their own kind would have rights as is the case in nearly every other country.

Even the concept of equality is something that was unique to the American experiment. So, when you complain of inequality, be mindful of the fact that it is only by the grace of there white Christians that you even have ground upon which to stand. Also, be mindful of the fact that you could be, if not for their grace, back in your country of origin. Something tells me few of us would rather be somewhere in Africa where genital mutilation takes place or some Muslim nation where one might be stoned for fornication.
OH BOO HOO, the problem with self Crucifixion seems to be pounding that last nail in.

Old 09-09-2010, 10:55 AM

344 posts, read 199,415 times
White Christians aren't being bashed on. The majority of people in power are White Christians. I think they're doing just fine.

Old 09-09-2010, 10:58 AM

25,157 posts, read 53,940,301 times
Leave the white Christians alone. They have feelings too. They don't get all of the privileges and special rights that blacks and homosexuals have. Have mercy on them. Please stop the harassment now and allow them to worship God and Jesus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Califreeman View Post
White Christians aren't being bashed on. The majority of people in power are White Christians. I think they're doing just fine.

Old 09-09-2010, 10:59 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,615,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Leave the white Christians alone. They have feelings too. They don't get all of the privileges and special rights that blacks and homosexuals have. Have mercy on them. Please stop the harassment now.
Thank you. I appreciate that.

Old 09-09-2010, 11:13 AM

3,436 posts, read 2,948,742 times
Thanks to White Christians for the sense of entitlement that is running rampant through the OP. The same sense of entitlement that gave us manifest destiny and made White Christians think that it was okay to kill, rob, enslave and indoctrinate people all over the planet for the sake of Christianity. Oh and I love how OP states that White Christians didn't have to give people the rights that they did...entitlement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies