Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 08:14 PM

986 posts, read 2,807,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toninole View Post
Just curious.

I'm wondering if those conservatives on this forum would vote for him again in a head to head match with Kerry or just stay home.

I mean Bush v. Kerry with no Independent running.
My other choice was Kerry? Yes I still would have voted for Bush!!

Old 06-28-2007, 08:27 PM

1,833 posts, read 6,425,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toninole View Post
Well, if you mean do I think Kerry would have attended a fund raiser in Arkansas and played guitar while people were screaming into their cameras for help? Then yes, I do believe he would have, in a very Clinton way, returned from whatever vacation he was on at the time and been on the ground to make sure that people were taken care of.

I also don't think he would have had to have a DVD made for him with different snippets from news casts in order to "catch up" on the horrors that were occurring that each of us were watching in real time on a daily basis.

This guy is so completely out of touch that I am surprised anyone can defend him on this.

As to your point - yes - as a native Floridian I know a little bit about hurricanes and response times. The state and locals do have their parts to play, but there have been MANY horrific hurricanes in our history and the government has NEVER allowed something this horrible to happen.
Have you ever heard of delegating? I'm not a huge Bush fan by any means, but I don't think for a minute that any administration would have don't better or worse. The Presidents job is to delegate and not micro-manage.

Besides, the city has to request state assistances, Nagan didn't right away and 100's and 100's of buses sat flooded, the Governor has to request federal aid, Blanco waited and waited before she did, only in total breakdown of the state and local government can the feds move in and start calling the shots without those request, and by the time Blanco requested aid it was already a total fiasco. I have a bunch on friends in N.O. and the area and they all blamed the locals and not the Fed, who would know better? People there or those watching from the comfort of home?

Old 06-28-2007, 08:28 PM

9,888 posts, read 10,820,096 times
all things being the same of course I would!

Old 06-28-2007, 11:21 PM

3,202 posts, read 4,432,639 times
i'm not thrilled with bush but i would still pick him over kerry or gore

Old 06-28-2007, 11:22 PM

5,407 posts, read 7,793,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davart View Post
Have you ever heard of delegating? I'm not a huge Bush fan by any means, but I don't think for a minute that any administration would have don't better or worse. The Presidents job is to delegate and not micro-manage.

Besides, the city has to request state assistances, Nagan didn't right away and 100's and 100's of buses sat flooded, the Governor has to request federal aid, Blanco waited and waited before she did, only in total breakdown of the state and local government can the feds move in and start calling the shots without those request, and by the time Blanco requested aid it was already a total fiasco. I have a bunch on friends in N.O. and the area and they all blamed the locals and not the Fed, who would know better? People there or those watching from the comfort of home?
As they say, you can delegate authority but not responsibility. The Buck has to stop at Bush's desk. Yes the local and state governments were pitiful. But especially when Bush was making so much of how he had prepared us for a terrorist attack response with our brand new Homeland Security Organization - the Federal response was unacceptable. Guys with trucks of aid not going to help because they could not find someone to give them the approval. That guy in charge with no experience - remember him? Another example of Bush sticking a bureacratic political ally in a position of authority instead of a person with real field experience. That was a true embarassment to our nation.

Old 06-29-2007, 01:11 AM

1,082 posts, read 3,779,459 times
If it was only a choice between Kerry and Bush, sadly I would still vote for turn coat Bush. Bush is still better than Kerry.
MBG

Old 06-29-2007, 01:41 AM

9,725 posts, read 15,167,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
As they say, you can delegate authority but not responsibility. The Buck has to stop at Bush's desk.
One HUGE difference between Clinton and Bush: I think Bush saw a lot of appointments as being political appointments versus trying to find the best person (with experience) to do the job. This is how we got Brown and Wolfowitz and bunches of unqualified people in certain positions. Clinton was much more concerned with putting qualified experienced people in jobs.

Regarding Gore (which someone brought up in an earlier post). It would have been interesting to see what Gore would have done in 8 years. I think he would have been a better choice than Kerry or Bush. Gore wasn't terribly exciting but I will give him credit for putting a lot of thought into make decisions and being proactive. I think he would have avoided some of the mistakes the Bush administration has made.

Old 06-29-2007, 01:55 AM

2,433 posts, read 6,676,591 times
I did vote for Bush, and have never voted for a democrat in a presidential election. In hindsight I wish I voted for Gore.

Old 06-29-2007, 03:10 AM

356 posts, read 1,179,369 times
Given the choice of Kerry only, I would vote for George W., again.

Old 06-29-2007, 04:21 AM

20,327 posts, read 19,914,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
Absolutely!! Against Kerry? Are you kidding?
Same here. Am I happy with Bush's performance? Nope.

Kerry really blew it with me when he used the term "passing a global litmus test" (whatever the hell that is) with regards to foreign affairs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies