Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2010, 11:58 AM

44,882 posts, read 33,251,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Trains would be way better to transport large amounts of goods, simply more economical over long distances.
But it is a nice job for people who don't like the presence of other people like in an office.
We do have railroads but the track system is aging. I live near a mainline and it is surprising to see how many trailers are shipped from coast to coast by rail and then changed over to being pulled by a tractor. Our rail system was built in the 19th and early 20th century and primarily those lines ran east to west. There were some that ran the other directions but they were primarily spurs.

Of course, you do know that this country is much larger than the one you live in and has many more people, also. Truckers are of three varieties, also. There are those who own their whole rig, those who pull other peoples' trailers and those who drive for other people. Until you get to hear them talk about the prices they pay for tires on all 18 wheels it is easy to make fun of them. When they fuel up they buy between 200 and 300 gallons and that amounts to many hundreds of dollars here and surely fuel is cheaper here than there.

Maybe those people love being alone but starting in the 70s they have spent a lot of time communicating with each other in whatever radio forms they have had.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2010, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
Gee, mass transiting of freight via railroads hasn't seemed to reduce highway use much.
As many trailers as I see on railroads it would seem that what you suggest would be wrong, but the truck traffic on the interstates has increased.

Old 09-04-2010, 12:12 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,729,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
We do have railroads but the track system is aging. I live near a mainline and it is surprising to see how many trailers are shipped from coast to coast by rail and then changed over to being pulled by a tractor. Our rail system was built in the 19th and early 20th century and primarily those lines ran east to west. There were some that ran the other directions but they were primarily spurs.

Of course, you do know that this country is much larger than the one you live in and has many more people, also. Truckers are of three varieties, also. There are those who own their whole rig, those who pull other peoples' trailers and those who drive for other people. Until you get to hear them talk about the prices they pay for tires on all 18 wheels it is easy to make fun of them. When they fuel up they buy between 200 and 300 gallons and that amounts to many hundreds of dollars here and surely fuel is cheaper here than there.

Maybe those people love being alone but starting in the 70s they have spent a lot of time communicating with each other in whatever radio forms they have had.
You probably have the same track gauge all over the US, right? That helps a lot. The couple in the documentary drive back and forth between Lisbon and Copenhagen, that's about 1500 miles. One of the reasons is that several European countries historically have different track gauges (deliberately to prevent a military invasion by train so to speak), so the stuff would have to be unloaded and reloaded a couple of times

Old 09-04-2010, 12:15 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,914,531 times
Quote:
You probably have the same track gauge all over the US, right? That helps a lot. The couple in the documentary drive back and forth between Lisbon and Copenhagen, that's about 1500 miles. One of the reasons is that several European countries historically have different track gauges (deliberately to prevent a military invasion by train so to speak), so the stuff would have to be unloaded and reloaded a couple of times
So you are commenting on trucking in the USA based on a documentary you watched about trucking in Europe?

Old 09-04-2010, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
So you are commenting on trucking in the USA based on a documentary you watched about trucking in Europe?
Do you think truckers in the US differ much from those in other countries these days?
Why is it that wherever I write something to someone else, you come along and respond in an unfriendly way?

Old 09-04-2010, 12:24 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,313,154 times
Quote:
Do you think truckers in the US differ much from those in other countries these days?
Why is it that wherever I write something to someone else, you come along and respond in an unfriendly way?
Southern hospitality.

Old 09-04-2010, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Yeah. I saw those double trailered rigs on the Autobahn back in the 1950s and they really didn't get here for a long time after that. They had the extra long rigs in Europe long before they did here, too. Now lets compare total numbers of trucks in all of western Europe with here. We won't count the "illegal" Mexican trucks either.

Old 09-04-2010, 12:34 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,313,154 times
Quote:
Yeah. I saw those double trailered rigs on the Autobahn back in the 1950s and they really didn't get here for a long time after that.
We had much stronger unions.

It was about jobs.

Bolstered with arguments about "safety".

Old 09-04-2010, 12:42 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,327,610 times
I have seen many people pull out in front of our trucks.

Think people.....they can not stop on a dime!!!!!

Old 09-04-2010, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Yeah. I saw those double trailered rigs on the Autobahn back in the 1950s and they really didn't get here for a long time after that. They had the extra long rigs in Europe long before they did here, too. Now lets compare total numbers of trucks in all of western Europe with here. We won't count the "illegal" Mexican trucks either.
I have no idea how many trucks there are. There are so many types now, including those giant 60t ones, which can make bridges crumble
I remember my father was always scared of driving is his little VW Beetle behind Dutch truckers, they have the worst reputation, changing lanes without signaling, overtaking cars, and stuff like that. Since Germany is right in the center of Europe, it is crossed by zillions of trucks in all directions There are plans to dedicate one highway lane to trucks only so they can't interfere with normal cars anymore.

I appreciate their delivering stuff to supermarkets etc., but I couldn't take their way of life. It was a bit sad when they showed how that couple drive day and night, often in utter silence through gloomy landscapes, fighting boredom and sleepiness
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies