Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 06:51 PM

2,126 posts, read 2,381,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
It has been speculated that some of those countries have higher infant mortality rates than us, but we are more honest than they are so our numbers are higher.

Do all countries use the same criteria? What sort of dishonesty are the US and Russia perpetrating with regards to suicides as opposed to the honest folks of Scandinavia?
I revise my prior response to your statement here.

I am not a sucker for statistics. I know they are sometimes off. But I highly doubted that the Scandinavian countries have a higher infant mortality rate than the US.

https://www.cia.gov/library/publicat.../2091rank.html

Do some cross study of statistics yourself. Its kind of difficult to imagine that countires (i.e. Scandinavian) that usually report higher longevity rates than the US have a harder time keeping their infants alive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2010, 07:07 PM

2,126 posts, read 2,381,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post

Finland's economy is doing fine, and I guess it is not least thanks to their approach of taking care of every single student instead of concentrating on geniuses.
Bingo.

In the USA, the concept of having every individual graduate as a literate and competent member of society has been slowly degraded, to the detriment of American society.

Education of ALL is key. It might mean educating some thoroughly in a community college trade school and others in an ivy league economics program. The point is offering the opportunity for the kiddos to excel at what they are good at and what they want to excel at in Middle and High school years.

Statistics will probably never be accurate on the following point (not anytime soon): the amount of K-12 students who are doped up on some sort of meds.

It's frightening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies